RUGBY LEAGUE 3 Announced for Release on Wii

Thanks mate.

Have to agree with Zaibatsu here. I first played the game with the Wii Remote, and gave up after five minutes. However, I then went out and bought a GC controller and its much easier with that.

But still, the game just feels so unnatural, the motion and smoothness is just not there. What annoys me most is that you can't get any consistency, I want a short pass trying to put someone through a gap, I get a longer pass to a forward. I want a long pass flying on the chest of an outside back and it lands to a prop who is standing still. It's just so robotic and flat and doesn't feel like league at all. And three out of five tackles in a set, the players will lie motionless on the ground for three or four seconds, before the dummy half comes running in and each set of players lines up for the next play. It's like everyone stops for five second and then says oh, lets get going again.

The kicking tactic is a nice idea, but am I doing something wrong as there is no way to tell where your kicker is (i.e left or right of the play the ball)?

I only play this because it's league but it's once again a really poor game.

Thanks for the feedback Hybrid.
To get better fluidness in the passing, it comes down to timing. Sure, you might get the odd player standing still but one of the aspects of gameplay we worked on was support play and fluidness of the passing game. I rarely have stop-start issues when I'm playing and most fans say the feel RL3 (while not perfect) is the best implementation yet. Have you tried pre-winding the passes? Passing before players get the ball? There's def a balance between the two (pre-wind and passing too late).
As for finding your kicker have you used the pull-out play the ball camera feature to get a full width view of your passing options?

@NZTiger said:
Have you tried pre-winding the passes? Passing before players get the ball? There's def a balance between the two (pre-wind and passing too late).
As for finding your kicker have you used the pull-out play the ball camera feature to get a full width view of your passing options?

Thanks for the tips, I haven't tried either of these.

I am actually reviewing this game for an Aussie online publication. Good to get this feedback before I start writing it.

I might aswell get a Wii and Rugby League 3 and find out for myself. Not sure which control I would use though.

@hybrid_tiger said:
@NZTiger said:
Have you tried pre-winding the passes? Passing before players get the ball? There's def a balance between the two (pre-wind and passing too late).

I am actually reviewing this game for an Aussie online publication. Good to get this feedback before I start writing it.

Link me it when you're done.

@NZTiger said:
@hybrid_tiger said:
@NZTiger said:

Link me it when you're done.

No problems, should be published next week sometime.

Will be for Gamepro.com.au, as well as GoodGearGuide.com.au and PCWorld.com.au.

got the game today along with a MadCatz gamecube controller…

i am loving it! i think i had the best start to my fanchise than anybody. Benji Kicked off, hit the uprights, bouncedback to Galloway, Lawrence scores of the next tackle.

Also somthing i like about it is you can't really on the AI o help you as much as in RL and RL2, i love how you actually have to catch the kickoff yorself this time.

I was dissapointed to lose Benji in round 3 to a 12 week injury, as well as one of my free agent players that i signed who was going great, Michael Spence, never heard of him though lol.

One thing hough is that the player ratings are really off sometimes, an example of this is Gareth Ellis rated 71, Karlos Filiga rated 72.

But overall it is a Great game!

@Sabre said:
One thing hough is that the player ratings are really off sometimes, an example of this is Gareth Ellis rated 71, Karlos Filiga rated 72.

I got it today too. My wife got it for me for our wedding anniversary! :laughing:

In regards to the player stats - just alter them. If you want to, you can go in and change all the Tigers to 100 and all the Storm to 0 (not that you would).

I am going down tomorrow to buy two GC controllers, because it's very difficult with the Wii Remote.

Looks like a top game though!

@steven_tiger said:
@Sabre said:

I got it today too. My wife got it for me for our wedding anniversary! :laughing:

In regards to the player stats - just alter them. If you want to, you can go in and change all the Tigers to 100 and all the Storm to 0 (not that you would).

I am going down tomorrow to buy two GC controllers, because it's very difficult with the Wii Remote.

Looks like a top game though!

Stick with the wii remote mate, (do you have the nunchuck as well?)
i started with the wii remote and nunchuck and struggled at first. but eventually got the hang of it.
i then tried the gc controller and was confused more then using the wii remote.
the only thing that i found easier on the gc controller was passing left and right.
sometimes on the wii remote you "wind up" before passing and it goes in the wrong direction. only frustrating when you are near the sideline and throw it out on the full.

but i guess it's everyone's personal preference.

I think the game is heaps of fun.

I have also had the problem with winding up to pass the ball resulting in throwing it over the sideline.

Lets hope the franchise continues because with every release its getting better and better.

I think I'll get a gc controller if I get a Wii and Rugby League 3\. I do have a birthday coming up. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the great comments and feedback guys! I'm taking all of this on board…

Don't forget you can also adjust the game option sliders to perfect the game to your personal preference.
Here's a good RL3 Forum thread that outlines some recommended changes:
http://forums.sidheinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=39384" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also in regards to Wii Remote controls, alot of people have been struggling to adapt to it and have given up on it too soon (eg. some "harsh" reviewers >_<). I'd like to point out, that we tweaked these controls till the cows came home and got the best that we could out of the system but I guess our biggest oversight in RL3 was not continuing to inform beginner players with ingame help prompts and pop-ups, for example.
Here's RL3 Forum explanation with the Wii Remote passing controls which I thought nailed what you are supposed to do:
http://forums.sidheinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=842390&postcount=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I hope that helps a little, and certainly do keep practicing the gestures in the tutorial modes.

As for wind ups passing the wrong way, it certainly is an issue that we tried to rectify but without Motion Plus, you are limited to specific gesture motions. When I play, I always make sure I centre my arms back to the middle, and push out left or right (straight wrist) and consciously don't 'wind up'. It takes some getting used to at first but I found after a while it became a natural motion and it lowered the 'wrong way' issue by quite a margin. Same with kicking.

@galahs said:
Lets hope the franchise continues because with every release its getting better and better.

Yep, Franchise Mode is certainly something I (and the dev team) are very passionate about and we tried to iron out as much RL2 probs as possible while adding additional features such as manual rep squad selection and the Match & Training Schedule. There are alot more features we wanted to add but of course we simply ran out of time and had to make sure we priortised the best features.

@steven_tiger said:
I can't seem to copy the updated lists from the SD card for some reason :frowning:

What's the problem you are having?
you have to make sure you are saving the folders that the file is in not just the file itself.

I have the files from the other site (at least I think I do) save in about 4 different spots on my SD card.

But nothing comes up when you put it in the Wii. It says the SD card is blank.

I want 2010 squads!!

@steven_tiger said:
I just read your post properly BeeJay… save the folders? Individually?

this website should help it explain it http://www.wiisave.com/faq/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

»**How do I use someone else's save?**
After downloading a save, you'll either get a plain old data.bin or a zipped file.

If you have a data.bin, you have to place it in a folder structure on your SD card like so: \private\wii\title\GAME\data.bin (replacing GAME with it's corresponding game code from the game code list).

If you get a zipped file, it most likely has all of it's folder structure in tact, so all you have to do is extract it to your SD card so it shows up like the above folder structure.

Once you have the file in place on your SD card, you can then put the SD card in to your Wii and go to your saved game(s) on your SD card (Wii Options > Data Management > Save Data > Wii > SD card tab), select the saved game that you want and select Copy. Keep in mind that if you already have a save on your Wii that you're trying to replace, it wont overwrite it, so you'll have to backup your save, then delete it off your Wii internal memory to be able to transfer the new one on.

so basically once you d/l the file from megaupload you'll need to unzip it.
once you unzip it you will have a folder called private?

the file path needs to look something like this.
private\wii\title\SRBP\data.bin

just move the private folder to your sd card. Then follow the other instructions once your sd card is in the slot on the wii on how to save the file to your wii

Oh, another issue I find frustrating is

- you kick a ball down field
- you chase through with a player
- but as soon as the opposition player picks up the ball the camera swings to view the game from the opposite end of the field. Now you have to quickly switch the direction your controlling your player or he'll start running in the opposite direction than you want. This often lets your opposition make easy meters when in reality he should be wrapped up straight after picking up the ball.
\
\
\
Also I love it that the game included commentary for players like Raudonikis. It also includes commentry for "The Magpies" but it would be nice if it included "Western Suburbs Magpies", "Newtown Jets", "North Sydney Bears" and their logos. :wink:
\
\
If anyone hasn't done it. Play this game two player, with both of you on the same team. It makes for great gameplay as you can talk to your offsider and tell them what you plan to do. And when your set move results in a match winning 4 pointer you can celebrate together as though it was real.

Latest posts

Back