Ryan matterson...marquee man

How many deals has Matterson actually completed?

Up their with Josh Aloiai as the floggiest of flogs to ever flog.
Completing his first now
- Shopped himself last year, No takers - So he triggered his option for this last year.

It's pay walled for me but just reading the heading that Ryan matterson being considered as a marquee whale made me chuckle...

Sport Confidential can reveal Matterson embarked on a hit-and-run mission on Tuesday, flying north for negotiations with Dolphins hierarchy in the lead-up to Parramatta’s clash against Canberra on Sunday.

The off-contract Matterson inspected the Dolphins training base and headquarters at Redcliffe before lunching with Bennett, who has already poached one Eels top-liner in hardworking forward Ray Stone.

The Eels are set to table an offer for Matterson but they risk losing a bidding war to the Dolphins, who are prepared to entice the in-form Eels lock with a three-year deal worth in excess of $1.5 million.

Matterson is on $550,000 this season but the Eels may struggle to compete with the Dolphins’ dollars.

Bennett has already secured Melbourne forward trio Jesse and Kenny Bromwich and Felise Kaufusi and confirmed his interest in Matterson, who would be a handy weapon for the Dolphins as their inaugural No.13.

“Yes, we’ve had a meeting, so we’ll see what happens,” Bennett said.

“We’re very interested in Ryan. He came up here, we’ve had some talks and now we’ll wait and see what happens.”

The Eels are facing a forward exodus with Stone, Marata Niukore, Isaiah Papali’I, Oregon Kaufusi and Reed Mahoney all signed with other clubs for next season.

Dolphins recruitment boss Peter O’Sullivan first signed Matterson to the Roosters in 2016. The skilful back-rower has since amassed 129 top-grade games and was impressed with Bennett’s pitch for his role at the Dolphins.

“Wayne coached Ryan’s uncle Terry Matterson at the Broncos so Ryan has always had great respect for Wayne,” said his manager Chris Orr.

“Ryan has a few things to consider. He is currently in a very professional club at the Eels playing alongside some handy players under a very good coach in Brad Arthur.

“Ryan wanted to meet those involved at Dolphins to better understand the club and to talk football with Wayne as part of his decision-making process.

“We’re waiting on an offer from the Eels before Ryan makes a final call.”

Papali'i and Mahoney are much bigger losses.

However, Paulo, RCG, Gutho and Moses are their backbone IMO. They had those couple of losses when Paulo wasn't there I think.

Back