Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

With the 500k a year we just saved on Nofa, I'd be calling Taylan and Terrell May right now.

As weird as it sounds - if we signed those 2 I'd be fully content with the clubs roster from 1-17.

We need one more winger and one more prop option after the signings of Luai and Olam. I don't see much weakness in our squad besides that. Both May brothers fill that role perfectly.
I wouldn’t touch those guys given we most likely would have to sign Tyrone as well. I’d take Taylan, but I don’t see that happening to get just him. If it involves having to get Tyrone, that’s a pass for me. Haven’t seen enough of Terrell to make an opinion of wanting him or not.

I wouldn’t touch those guys given we most likely would have to sign Tyrone as well. I’d take Taylan, but I don’t see that happening to get just him. If it involves having to get Tyrone, that’s a pass for me. Haven’t seen enough of Terrell to make an opinion of wanting him or not.
Exactly.

Terrell has done 3/5ths of f. all. The ease at which some people would swoop in and fill roster spots on a whim smacks of not thinking through the implications of these types of roster moves.

I'm with you on Taylan, Glen.

Hands down a quality winger and a real goer. Would love to have him. But the implications of a tagging-along Terrell, who may be a decent player in time, but offers no form of upgrade atm, along with the pressure that would place on bringing Tyrone back in a package deal, make that an easy pass in my opinion.

With the 500k a year we just saved on Nofa, I'd be calling Taylan and Terrell May right now.

As weird as it sounds - if we signed those 2 I'd be fully content with the clubs roster from 1-17.

We need one more winger and one more prop option after the signings of Luai and Olam. I don't see much weakness in our squad besides that. Both May brothers fill that role perfectly.
Agree big time on this, Taylan is sort of forgotten after a year out but is a potential gun and Terrell looks set to become a key middle at the roosters this year
Would be good business getting them locked in quickly as I reckon they will be as cheap as they will be, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them increase in value a lot with strong seasons in 24

with Nofoaluma now gone and Tupou leaving end of year we will definitely need to go to market for a winger for 2025 and beyond. Luke Laulili'i comes into the squad next year, but someone low-risk, high upside fits the bill on a 2 year deal

Jeral Skelton is the ideal candidate for mine. athletic, powerful winger who is great coming out of yardage and holds his own defensively. will come cheap and is stuck behind a stack of outside backs at the Dogs.

Taylan May if he managed to rediscover his 2022 form would obviously a great shout but I doubt he moves here unless we bring his brothers over. Bailey Simonsson, Semi Valemei and Izaac Thompson are other guys off contract and attainable I feel.

Exactly.

Terrell has done 3/5ths of f. all. The ease at which some people would swoop in and fill roster spots on a whim smacks of not thinking through the implications of these types of roster moves.

I'm with you on Taylan, Glen.

Hands down a quality winger and a real goer. Would love to have him. But the implications of a tagging-along Terrell, who may be a decent player in time, but offers no form of upgrade atm, along with the pressure that would place on bringing Tyrone back in a package deal, make that an easy pass in my opinion.
Do you watch many Roosters games?

If playing regularly of the bench for a top 8 side and performing better than most of our bench players is 3/5ths of f all you’re hard to please. He is on par with Pole IMO, although he is a couple of years older, which would put him ahead of several other regulars we have.

I do agree that we should have no interest in Tyrone though. And I doubt any other club would want all 3, so giving 2 a chance to play together may be the best offer they get.

with Nofoaluma now gone and Tupou leaving end of year we will definitely need to go to market for a winger for 2025 and beyond. Luke Laulili'i comes into the squad next year, but someone low-risk, high upside fits the bill on a 2 year deal

Jeral Skelton is the ideal candidate for mine. athletic, powerful winger who is great coming out of yardage and holds his own defensively. will come cheap and is stuck behind a stack of outside backs at the Dogs.

Taylan May if he managed to rediscover his 2022 form would obviously a great shout but I doubt he moves here unless we bring his brothers over. Bailey Simonsson, Semi Valemei and Izaac Thompson are other guys off contract and attainable I feel.

Isn’t there a candidate somewhere at the team already coming through the development ranks? I mean… it’s a winger … aren’t we supposed to be a development club…?

Isn’t there a candidate somewhere at the team already coming through the development ranks? I mean… it’s a winger … aren’t we supposed to be a development club…?
well Luke Laulili'i is the development candidate. he will absolutely be in contention for a first grade spot next year, but we lose both Nofoaluma and Tupou, and for that reason I feel it would be wise to bring in first grade-ready talent for 2025.

wing is actually one of the positions we don't have a stack of pathways talent in, similar to the back row.

Laulili'i is one, but outside him and Willett, who to my knowledge has never played wing, that's really it. we're flush with fullbacks, centres, halves and middles thru the pathways, but not so much on an edge or the wing, hence why I feel going to market is probably the right thing to do.

Scores tries in 9/10 games he plays in. Best player in Super League. You’re a hard marker.

I am when it comes to backline players.
The structure, game style and team setups are vastly different to the NRL for backline players especially ones with speed.

I get why people would mention him.
He also deserves the credit, here you could see he had talent in lower graded but then he came up against bigger guys and he did struggle.

The game for a winger these days is about there workload, start of set plays and being able to bust a tackle to finish because the game is bigger but also faster for the bigger bodies.

It’s all good, You can have your view I have mine.

well Luke Laulili'i is the development candidate. he will absolutely be in contention for a first grade spot next year, but we lose both Nofoaluma and Tupou, and for that reason I feel it would be wise to bring in first grade-ready talent for 2025.

wing is actually one of the positions we don't have a stack of pathways talent in, similar to the back row.

Laulili'i is one, but outside him and Willett, who to my knowledge has never played wing, that's really it. we're flush with fullbacks, centres, halves and middles thru the pathways, but not so much on an edge or the wing, hence why I feel going to market is probably the right thing to do.

They have Staines as well under contract for next year …and have Lobb and Alaimalo who could be options I assume that have just recently been acquired ….

And thats not including the younger guys who arent even on my radar as yet …

Point is … i Think we don’t need to be chasing wingers at other clubs just yet ..

Do you watch many Roosters games?

If playing regularly of the bench for a top 8 side and performing better than most of our bench players is 3/5ths of f all you’re hard to please. He is on par with Pole IMO, although he is a couple of years older, which would put him ahead of several other regulars we have.

I do agree that we should have no interest in Tyrone though. And I doubt any other club would want all 3, so giving 2 a chance to play together may be the best offer they get.
Some.

If playing regularly of the bench for a top 8 side and performing better than most of our bench players is 3/5ths of f all you’re hard to please.

The fact that someone is, or is not, in a Top 8 side carries a lot less weight than many think it does in my opinion. There are countless examples of duds not only playing in Top 8 teams, but winning competitions. The reverse is also true, with many examples of champion players stuck in woeful teams (basically, anybody involved with us for the past 12 years).

Now, back to the efficacy of signing Terrell when based on what he's currently shown -

His output is pretty good for a bench prop, without being outstanding. His tackle efficiency is quite good, his metreage and tackle-breaks are ok and he seems to run with purpose, which I like. He's a decent bench prop as it stands right now. But there are probably 15-20 'decent' bench props in the comp at the moment.

The main point I was making, was that he offers no upgrade on the likes of Pole, who I think is a far better prospect, is younger and has a higher ceiling. We then have the likes of Twal and Seyfarth on the books, who, whilst not as impactful, I would argue are more reliable middles and undeniably more well-rounded when it comes to effort on effort moments. We then have the likes of Kit, Faagutu and Jordy Miller who are 12-24 months away from being around the 17, if not mainstays, so it would be sideways signing at best and a pathway blocker at worst.

Last edited:
Back