Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Looking at our deficiencies, my wishlist to recruit for next season are ... Zac Lomax (right centre), Jazz Tevaga (lock or bench utility to cover lock/hooker), James Schiller (wing) & Euan Aitken (bench utility for backrow/centre).

Lomax, Tevaga & Aitken would bring experience & all reportedly lead efforts in training. Tevaga would be a club replacement for Simpkin & provide relief for Api during the game, allow TDS to continue to build reps in Cup. Aitken low cost like-for-like for Kepaoa.

Schiller brings speed, x-factor & power. We should be in a position to offer more than Raiders to bring him across.
Yes to the first three. No to Aitken. He's absolutely trash

Good post but don’t think you can put Galvin/Luai, especially after the money we’ve thrown at Luai.
Personally I don’t see him as a 7 so there is a bit of reorganisation to be done before next season. And then we’ll have Sullivan and Sezer in the KOE, although I think Sezer is a one year deal.
Not sure what you mean because Luai is obviously first picked.

We will have 3 very good 6s in 2025 and we have to try and fit all of them in the team.

Sezer will be gone in 2025 and Sullivan will be stuck in NSW cup IMO.

Yes to the first three. No to Aitken. He's absolutely trash
He has value as a low cost experienced 2nd row/centre utility for 2 seasons max. I thought he performed well in the backrow at the Warriors a couple of seasons ago. I'm not suggesting him as a 1st 13 player but he brings experience, work ethic at training and is better defensively than Kepaoa (who he would be replacing). My other thinking is his spot then goes to one of pathways players in 2 seasons so it's not long-term.

The Wests Tigers powerbrokers have moved to secure one of the hottest league prospects in the country in a bid to stave off not only rival clubs but rugby union.
The Tigers are working hard to secure local junior and Western Suburbs Magpies Harold Matthews (under-17s) star Heamasi Makasini before he hits the market and held a meeting with the teenager on Tuesday night.

Already, the phone of the youngster’s manager, Mario Tartak, has been running hot with NRL clubs enquiring about Makasini’s contract status.

Seems to be a lot of info coming out of a club with 'No Leaks'?
Another kid into the top 30 next year by the looks....

Looking ahead to players off contract this year we need to be active for under the radar players. Our best signings were players on the cusp at other clubs looking for an opportunity.

Trey Mooney, James Schiller, Kayal Iro, Preston Riki.
Israel Leota, Xavier Willson, Tula Tuphua, Leo Thompson, Tyrone Munro.

Looking ahead to players off contract this year we need to be active for under the radar players. Our best signings were players on the cusp at other clubs looking for an opportunity.

your definition of "under the radar" and recruitment managers definition may vary significantly.

We’ll see how it unfolds

KP was inconsistent before JH arrived and provided a steady half back role.

Yeah he didn’t score and setup all the tries like KP did.

But the biggest value in any team in the NRL is having a steady organizing half who can get the team around and kick to the corners in the 5th

With teams quite even and momentum so hard to pull back and lots of tries now from the rules, having a half who can just pass and kick can grind the other team down.

That’s my point.

I’m not in love with JH. I know he’s slow and a downer for team mates.

But he grinds teams down, with boring, predictable plays, which then allows KP to do his thing.

My guess is he’ll be back in the team… because he’s a competitor and Newcastle before he came along didn’t have that in the team.

Happy to be proven wrong but let’s come back to this debate by round 15 and see where the knights are
Organising half is also a myth. All the best “organising halves” people refer to had brilliant team mates to organise.

A half back is primarily responsible for executing the game plan but he needs his teammates to fulfil their role if he hopes to be successful.

Chalk and cheese mate…
Thought Galvin was probably a bit eager - but from what I’ve seen, he’s very tenacious… and looks like he’ll kick scratch and crawl for a win.
He’ll just need to find that balance and calm inside himself…
He pulled through the line plenty I thought, had some nice touches and plenty of things to improve on as you’d expect (and he seemed aware of)

He actually reminded me a bit of a Jono Thurston… not the game / skill obviously, but just that desire to be in everything / everywhere…
giving 110% on every play and trying his guts out to change the result…
he’s got a way to go, but there’s a lot to like - he’ll be hard to hold onto!!
It’s not chalk and cheese at all.
I’m very impressed he held his own at his age and experience level. He wasn’t afraid to take grown men on and stand his ground in defence. Bravo.

However, as a first grade 5/8th he must be judged on results, as a first grade 5/8th. I thought he was busy, but not much happened around him after our first try.

Wouldn’t say no to Schiller, May or Billy Smith

Can’t see Knights letting Leo go but Butcher (getting zero nrl time atm), Wilson & May in the forwards ticks a few boxes for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: 851

Latest posts

Back