Taylorball

Tim Sheens

Reading a post from Ink in another thread in which he alluded to Taylorball being the bomb well inside the field tactic to reduce giving away seven tackle sets, got me thinking what is Taylorball to others?

To my way of thinking Taylorball was more about the one out running (with the same bomb kick on the last) that lasted for a few weeks and reached its low ebb in the cows game. For mine things started to change after the bye against the Titans and further a week later when we got the bunnies, with decoys and second man plays from the outset.

What did Taylorball mean to you?

five crappy hit ups and bombing in an attempt to win field position but generally giving away a penalty anyway and rendering the effort useless.

@formerguest said:
To my way of thinking Taylorball was more about the one out running (with the same bomb kick on the last) that lasted for a few weeks and reached its low ebb in the cows game.

This is Taylorball. One out hit-ups. No ball playing. The mid-field bomb on the last. It will win you one game in 20\. Terrible football.

I also associate it with spin from JT.

The worst football I have seen from the Tigers at any point in time.

Its defensive percentage football.

Trying to limit the oppositions attacking possibilities while creating none for ourselves…was all about field position and completions, but that doesnt score you points

Id say its with a mind to have us hang-in in games....still be in it at the tail end....Id say its paying off somewhat now.....look at our defense for the first 39:20 last monday, theres still a long way to go

@formerguest said:
What did Taylorball mean to you?

It meant 50% of the forum running around trying to defend the worst football the club has ever played.

At the club it meant a lot of naughty corner type faces from the playing group.

Thankfully now we are playing Taylor, Brooks and Moses Ball.

Taylorball was a starting point for the team to begin with , when everything else was going to hell in a handbag , this was something they could run to try and keep them in the grind against sides that were overpowering them

It has multiple uses , closing out tight games (how many times in the Sheens era do we wish they understood Taylorball ,probably have another premiership )

Taylor used it to find out the limitations of the players playing basic footy

Finding out what they had to work with which helped the entire coaching staff

We now have Taylorball Mk 2 and things are improving , yes at times they still will get it wrong , but Taylorball Mk1 was a success

@happy tiger said:
Taylorball was a starting point for the team to begin with , when everything else was going to hell in bag , this was something they could run to try and keep them in the grind against sides that were overpowering them

It has multiple uses , closing out tight games (how many times in the Sheens era do we wish they understood Taylorball ,probably have another premiership )

We now have Taylorball Mk 2 and things are improving , yes at times they still will get it wrong , but Taylorball Mk1 was a success

Wow .. Can't wait until we reach Taylor Ball MK 23

_Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0_

Taylor ball at its very very worst was what we saw at the Cowboys game at Cambo early in the season, but as Happy said it was the starting point that probably the team had to start from and build from their. I know we had that word structure rammed down our throats but all teams even the free flowing ones work from a basic structure.

I am not getting carried away with our last two wins but their is plenty to like about our defensive line and I would like to think that is a result of the so called "structures" that JT has been working on. Anyway another two or three wins this year will have me excited about next year

@hobbo2803 said:
@happy tiger said:
Taylorball was a starting point for the team to begin with , when everything else was going to hell in bag , this was something they could run to try and keep them in the grind against sides that were overpowering them

Stop being resistant to change Hobbo

If we do get to Taylorball Mk 23 it means Taylor will be here for a long time

Will give you time to fall in love with your "pasty faced scarecrow " :laughing:

@happy tiger said:
but Taylorball Mk1 was a success

Definitely - it got is to last place on the ladder with a decent roster and ruined our season. I don't know how you can stand actually winning some games recently and playing decent footy - I assume that is a failure.

@happy tiger said:
@hobbo2803 said:
@happy tiger said:

Stop being resistant to change Hobbo

If we do get to Taylorball Mk 23 it means Taylor will be here for a long time

Will give you time to fall in love with your "pasty faced scarecrow " :laughing:

Taylorball MK 1 was a success ( what a load of crap)!!!
Playing conservative footy and trying to earn the right to attack (Taylors thinking) didn't work .

Taylor gave in !!!!

As for the scarecrow ,,, I'll never be a fan :laughing:

I'm surprised your not going to Campbelltown to meet the worst coach in the NRL
:roll

Working hard for something is obviously a foreign concept to you steve…you obviously expected instant success.....maybe youve led a privileged life, its not always that easy....but working hard for a goal is very satisfying

@stevetiger said:
@happy tiger said:

Definitely - it got is to last place on the ladder with a decent roster and ruined our season. I don't know how you can stand actually winning some games recently and playing decent footy - I assume that is a failure.

And in his typical Spinner Steve manner , he takes 6 words out of a statement and plays his games

You really don't have a clue Steve

@hobbo2803 said:
Taylorball MK 1 was a success ( what a load of crap)!!!
**Playing conservative footy and trying to earn the right to attack (Taylors thinking) didn't work .**
Taylor gave in !!!!

As for the scarecrow ,,, I'll never be a fan :laughing:

I'm surprised your not going to Campbelltown to meet the worst coach in the NRL
:roll

Potters thinking too

Show me where the early season football hasnt had an influence on what we are doing now…you seem very sure of yourself

@stevetiger said:
@happy tiger said:

The early season and some of the losses were teaching this young squad about the defensive game,JT was laying a platform for them….the last couple of wins re.. Storm and Raiders are the benefit of laying that platform..there will be many more wins in the future for this team,they must get the structures right first..and in doing so will make a couple of mistakes,the good thing about making mistakes is you can learn from them...this applies to all jobs when first learning.... :smiley:

Back