The Official Football Thread

Chris

With the English Premier League 2 weeks away from kick off I thought I'd start the forums football thread. Who do you support in the world of football? With the EPL being the most popular, who do you think will win it this year? Who do you think will be the biggest surprise packet and who will flop? Who will make the top for in the EPL and qualifyfor the Champions League.

My Teams: Liverpool FC & Nth Queensland Fury

EPL: Predicted Winners - Liverpool FC
Biggest Surprise Packets - Manchester City FC
Biggest Flops - Arsenal
Top 4 - Liverpool FC
Chelsea
Manchester United
Manchester City

Sorry, I have no interest in "football" unless it is at the international level. The English Premier League just goes to the team that throws the most money at it. That makes Man U equivalent to the Roosters (or Manly in olden days).

dont tell me - man united, chelsea, arsenal, liverpool, and maybe one other team. wow, something different. (flogging a dead horse emoticon)

I agree with the last 2\. Why does a comp with very winners get supported so well? Its not the best to watch either with mainland European leagues much more interesting to watch.

@Juro said:
Sorry, I have no interest in "football" unless it is at the international level. The English Premier League just goes to the team that throws the most money at it. That makes Man U equivalent to the Roosters (or Manly in olden days).

So, i should back Manchester City for the title in 09/10?

Big week ahead for us football fans. A-League's back this weekend, can't wait!! For me my beloved Leeds Utd begin their season this weekend against miniscule Exeter City. I get a rare chance to see them on fox tuesday morning against Darlington in the Carling Cup. Then thursday morning the socceroos are back in action against Ireland! Great way to get back into the swing of things.

@SJP said:
@Juro said:

So, i should back Manchester City for the title in 09/10?

Okay, I'll adjust my first comment. I think Man U are probably a lot more successful in throwing money at their problems than the Roosters. May have something to do with just how much money they have to throw…

Epic Fail for the A-League again it seems.

Opening night last night, pathetic crowd, pathetic standard of football, interest level next to zero.

NSL all over again :laughing:

@Zaibatsu said:

Opening night last night, pathetic crowd, pathetic standard of football, interest level next to zero.

Wow. Only 18,895 on a Thursday night. That is _Epic._

Whats the crowd average for the NRL, out of interest?

why do they have games on a thursday night though? they would have gotten a larger crowd on a fri or sat night.

Yeah playing against the AFL would be suicicdal, especially for a season opener. Thought 18K was a good turn up considering. For those who want to bag the standard of play, Has the NRL ever been at it's best in round one…..nope!

For loves of the code, I just noticed that Ten's new channel One will be broadcasting a game each Saturday night at 11.30pm from the Bundesliga. The German league has the highest goals per game of major leagues too so it should be exciting to say the least.

@Allan Towle said:
For loves of the code, I just noticed that Ten's new channel One will be broadcasting a game each Saturday night at 11.30pm from the Bundesliga. The German league has the highest goals per game of major leagues too so it should be exciting to say the least.

Im a lover of the code i saw that was surprised barely get German leagues

My Team MANCHESTER UNITED

EPL: Predicted Winners - Man Utd
Biggest Surprise Packets - man city
Biggest Flops - Arsenal
Top 4 - man utd
man city
Liverpool
Chelsea

CANT WAIT

@Zaibatsu said:

Brisbane vs Gold Coast could be better classified as a "fail"

I got to the game right on kick off, was told the GA was sold out and had to buy allocated tickets, thought wow, this good be a cracker of a crowd…. doh. Not even 20,000\. Saturday night. the first of a local derby. Plenty of media coverage in the lead up. Weak, disinterested crowd. 150 Gold Coast fans, 10,000 Brisbane fans and about 9,000 hangers on who probably didn't even watch the game. Ordinary effort considering it had been talked up so much.

Liverpool have today completed the signing of Greek international defender Sotirios Kyrgiakos from AEK Athens. I hear that Rafa made a special phone call to Staks for his personal opinion.

@AmericanHistoryX said:
Aston Villa 3 - Liverpool 1 at Anfield. How sweet it is? :master:

Villa should and will do well this season. One on the rise.

Some interesting results this morning in the Carling Cup. Bit of crowd drama involving millwall and west ham. For me a bit of late revenge as leeds beat watford.

Back