Tragic Round

Sad but true, magpie. There are VERY few makers, cutters and ancillary people left in Australia. Sadly, they are all our age and within 10 years they will retire, and Australian garment manufacturing, on the whole, will cease.
20 years ago, I could walk down any industrial street in Marrickville and every 4th or 5th premises would be involved in some way with clothing manufacturing. Sewing, cutting, buttons, zips, elastics, fabrics, etc, etc.
Today, I know 2 sewing businesses to choose from, compared with 50+ not all that long ago.
It's getting harder and harder to still supply Australian made, but I still make the effort.
But like I said, when our age group retires, the young guys nowadays are accustomed to simply ordering from China. They wouldn't even consider going to the effort of making here.
Sad, but true.
Really top notch post @Go_You_Good_Things (y)
It's so damn refreshing to read a quality post as yours is.
With the strained relationship that exists between China and Australia atm, surely we now have the incentive to start producing stuff here in Australia again?

Just watches Joe O. Video on the Tigers site , I really love his passion and the way he comes across , I watched one of his interviews a while ago and you could see the hurt he had after the loss , he seems pumped for magic round and gave some resect to his opp number but said he is ready to go and we like it tuff if need be , very happy the way he is going and also happy he stayed with us next year he could have headed to the Redcliffe lot but stayed , hope he is in the senior group cause he don’t speak crap

Yep the rain is insane at the moment, after 7 games on Sunday the pitch is going to be a mess...They'll be throwing sawdust down 😂😬

• Wow
Reactions: BZN
Joffa should have a good game at his old stomping ground in the wet. On the other 'wet' hand, which WT players have trouble holding the ball in good conditions let alone slippery wet conditions.
Does Kepaoa ring a bell?

Really top notch post @Go_You_Good_Things (y)
It's so damn refreshing to read a quality post as yours is.
With the strained relationship that exists between China and Australia atm, surely we now have the incentive to start producing stuff here in Australia again?
Thanks mate. Now without derailing the original thread . . . . It's nearly too late to try and start producing here again.
You remember when your Mrs and her sisters could all sew ? How does the daughter and grand-daughter go in front of the Singer machine today ?
The skills simply aren't out there. The migrant women ( the Maltese, Italian, Croatian, Yugoslav, etc ) that used to staff the sewing businesses are now all too old, and the more recent migrant women don't want to work like the old ones did. No racism, sexism, or any ism . . . just the cold, hard truth from my experience.
The other thing is that nobody is going to go to the expense of setting up a 10 machine sewing business, coz he can't get staff and he'll get no business, as nobody wants to go to the trouble of making locally any more.
We have importers/suppliers that hold stock of 75 different Polo shirts, in 7 different colour trims, in 12 different sizes. I order today, and can pick up the stock tomorrow.
It's too convenient, and the young guys in the trade don't know any other way.
When I tell them what's involved in making garments here, they laugh and call me old.
The garment industry is gone, and sadly it ain't coming back. Just like car manufacturing and any other manufacturing that was once performed here.

Playing the last game of magic round on a ruined pitch, how many injuries are we going to add to the list then ?

Not to mention a home game that we have given to play a Queensland team up there?

Back