Wests Tigers Coaches

Wests Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis confirmed the club held its first “formal meeting” with potential coach Cameron Ciraldo on Monday.

Ciraldo was taken through the soon to be opened centre of excellence at Concord which will be completed by the time the new coach steps into the role.

Tigers powerbrokers including Hagipantelis, head of football Tim Sheens and chief executive Justin Pascoe met with Ciraldo as the club plans to put together a deal as long as five years to have Ciraldo join them.

Hagipantelis did not want to buy into the meeting but confirmed it took place.

“I’m not comfortable denying what’s true,” he said on SEN.

“I will say no comment. The interview and recruitment process should be confidential.

“Cameron’s name had been thrown up. I’ve received two resumes. I don’t want it being played out (publicly) – I’m not comfortable denying what I know to be true.”

Ciraldo is the club’s no. 1 target after parting ways with Michael Maguire last week. Canterbury are also interested in the Panthers assistant coach.

The big pitch the Tigers are making to Ciraldo included their new state of the art facility and their promising juniors who the club believe Ciraldo can turn into future first graders.

Ciraldo took control of the Panthers in Ivan Cleary’s absence during their 42-6 win against Newcastle on Sunday.

He was “flattered” by the interest in him.

“I’m happy doing what I’m doing. I’ve got some pretty special relationships at this place,” Ciraldo said after the game.

“I’ve got to look at what’s in my career and what’s down the track too. At the moment, I’m just focused on Penrith.”

I have a legitimate question that im curious about people's opinions on.

I was a madge fan but I am not against the change for the reasons they are suggesting. However, we have tried changing just one person (head coach) a fair few times now to little effect.

Is just madge leaving Enough?

To me if we are going to change it needs to be holistic with new ideas from top-down. IMO 1 bloke isnt going to do very little to fix our problems.
I agree, it's the way the club is run right across the board. Small time thinkers in my opinion.

Wests Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis confirmed the club held its first “formal meeting” with potential coach Cameron Ciraldo on Monday.

Ciraldo was taken through the soon to be opened centre of excellence at Concord which will be completed by the time the new coach steps into the role.

Tigers powerbrokers including Hagipantelis, head of football Tim Sheens and chief executive Justin Pascoe met with Ciraldo as the club plans to put together a deal as long as five years to have Ciraldo join them.

“I will say no comment. The interview and recruitment process should be confidential.

“Cameron’s name had been thrown up. I’ve received two resumes. I don’t want it being played out (publicly) – I’m not comfortable denying what I know to be true.”

Ciraldo is the club’s no. 1 target after parting ways with Michael Maguire last week. Canterbury are also interested in the Panthers assistant coach.

The big pitch the Tigers are making to Ciraldo included their new state of the art facility and their promising juniors who the club believe Ciraldo can turn into future first graders.

Ciraldo took control of the Panthers in Ivan Cleary’s absence during their 42-6 win against Newcastle on Sunday.

“I’m happy doing what I’m doing. I’ve got some pretty special relationships at this place,” Ciraldo said after the game.

“I’ve got to look at what’s in my career and what’s down the track too. At the moment, I’m just focused on Penrith.”

Lee referenced a few times now regarding our interest in ciraldo, he not going to lie about like others (gould)

I was a madge fan but I am not against the change for the reasons they are suggesting. However, we have tried changing just one person (head coach) a fair few times now to little effect.

To me if we are going to change it needs to be holistic with new ideas from top-down. IMO 1 bloke isnt going to do very little to fix our problems.
I'm in the very minority camp that believes that the football dept should take care of the football and the executives should take care of the rest. They are two very distinct, different and separate portions of a football club in my opinion. There is no doubt crossover, particularly when it comes to key appointments within the football dept, but I think far too often head office is blamed as an exasperated response to years of failure in on-field results.

As long as the club is making money and is doing well off the field, which they are, then front office are doing their job, however likeable they may or may not be. For the record, I like Lee, but I dislike Pascoe. This is simply based on conduct.

Results are wholly and solely the domain of the head of football (Sheens), the head coach and their staff in my opinion. A key factor in that is obviously recruitment and retention.

I'm with you, I liked Madge, but with him at the helm, until Sheens arrived, the club simply wasn't yielding results at an acceptable rate. So the onus now falls back to the incoming coach, his staff and Sheens to right the ship.

So to answer your question a little more directly, I'm of the belief it is more the systems around recruitment, retention, development and execution of on field game plans and strategies that need the change, rather than another individual or two to go. That is to say its a processes issue, rather than an individual issue.

I say this knowing full well I'm likely in the minority on this one.

Last edited:

Well he has a few options here.

1) He could just not go on radio shows;
2) If he feels he must go on radio shows, he could place conditions around questions asked of him relating to recruitment; or
3) He could just flat out "no comment" any such questions.

Seems more like he just enjoys sieving little tidbits of information.

I heard on the radio that Kimmorley has the next 12 rounds to prove his credentials and in an interview he was backing himself. Wouldn’t that make this discussion all moot until after the season?
Not if you tell Noddy to "show us what you can do" and also look for other options in parallel.

No point having Noddy twiddle his thumbs with no possibility of furthering his claims.

This is how you ruin a club. If you can do it off the books then it's fine. If that isn't an option then don't do it.
How so? If you admit that it is always going to be a gamble then you take the bad with the good. We just have seemed to get stuck with some rotten contracts, but surely we can't shy away just because we have been burned before. That cannot be the mentality.
Every club will generally have a few guns and a few regrettable others on big contracts. It happens. Viva la revolution!

In the last 4 weeks there has been a shift with their listings.
Kiraz, Patolo, Schoupp, Topine all 20, Avarillo 21, Morrin 22 all played or 18th man (Topine/Morrin).

I'm not saying they aren't a team of misfits but if a coach wants a higher chance to win now then he would chose the Bulldogs over us.
Obviously everyone has their opinion, but there is no specific indicator that Bulldogs are more likely to win in the near to longer future than Tigers.

OK Dogs blooded some kids, but so have Tigers - our squad average age is exactly the same as teh Dogs (25.5 years old). Stefano is 22, Junior Tupou 19, To'a 21, Simpkin 20, Madden, AJ and Laurie 22. You might even argue that Tigers are a bit more advanced than Dogs, because our younger players have had more game time - around a half to full season more game time than those Dogs players you mentioned (apart from Averillo they are all < 20 FG matches).

I recall a lot of folks last year saying that Bulldogs were already set for a much-improved 2022 based on their recruitment, and that has not transpired at all. So predictions of future "win chance" are equally murky.

Fair enough to state it's your personal prediction, but it cannot be used as an unequivocal argument for why a coach would choose Dogs over Tigers.

“It all comes down to next week. Ciraldo has decided the winner of the tigers vs bulldogs game will get his signature. He will attend the game with his agent and go into the winning dressing room and sign the contract in front of the players. Tiger players have said they will treat this game like a grand final. Lee has said this is the biggest game in the tigers history.”

I just made all that up lol lol

I think they've done that to some extent, but it takes years to pay off - Penrith are an example.

For example the CoE was an initiative in response to our antiquated facilities. You have to respect that it's a very big coup to secure that much government funding for a sports facility in the Inner West, and it moves Tigers from bottom to the top for quality of facilities of NRL clubs.

There was big investment in the pathways, particularly last year when Matt Betsey and Noddy were brought in.

The Football Operations budget was significantly increased, in a response to request from the coaching staff. I was informed some of this stemmed from the question "the players generally perform well at training, why is this not translating to performance on-field?" So additional funds were provided as requested, to support the players.

Then obviously Sheens brought in as Head of Football at the end of last year. Pascoe totally stepped away from media.

I'm pretty sure the assistant coach appointments for 2022 were not Madge's sole selection, so whilst he had input, the club ultimately made it's own decision. Similarly with recruitment, where Madge was involved but since Cleary Tigers have used a recruitment committee to ensure no single voice has total sway over roster decisions.

I am informed that these initiatives were introduced in parallel to ongoing work with Madge, in recognition that the coach is not the sole arbiter of success.

With quite a few of these strategies being new within 1-2 years, they need time to mature and provide dividends. I think they are a sound foundation and you don't have too many other big levers you can pull; one they pulled just now to sack the coach... but what remains is possibly ousting the CEO (up to the Board) or the Board itself (up to themselves, so never going to happen).

Who are the clubs "powerbrokers" - seems that they are referred to a lot of late.

Reactions: BZN
This is my current view:

Ciraldo wouldn’t be visiting other clubs if he had his mind set on staying at Penrith. That’s a preposterous proposition.

Ivan really fekked him over with his infinite contract.

Head coach is the most prized job in the NRL.

If CC wants to tuck his head under Ivans blanket, then he’s not a fit and proper person to lead our club. Not the temperament we need.

Gus and the dogs must be very concerned about their chances for Gus’s story to come out.

I think they know they’ve blown it and we are in the box seat. If not, we should be.

We just need to chill and keep Lee out of the media loop.

Respect Cameron’s wishes as to when he said he’d get back to us. That could be a test.

Last edited:
I'm wondering what people's reactions are after seeing Tim Sheens standing behind Noddy in the coaches box during the Manly game.
I got the impression from Noddy's countenance that he felt uneasy having someone looking over his shoulder.
I too felt it gave the wrong vibe, a lack of confidence in Noddy.
I know it could be the total opposite but it's the feeling I'm getting.

Well he has a few options here.

1) He could just not go on radio shows;
2) If he feels he must go on radio shows, he could place conditions around questions asked of him relating to recruitment; or
3) He could just flat out "no comment" any such questions.

Seems more like he just enjoys sieving little tidbits of information.
He’s our Chairman …. our front MAN …. Surely if not him WHO for Christ sake is the spoksman for the club.
You and others on here just need to suck it up and live with it.
Until such time he vacates the chair he is our front man.

This is my current view:

Ciraldo wouldn’t be visiting other clubs if he had his mind set on staying at Penrith. That’s a preposterous proposition.

Ivan really fekked him over with his infinite contract.

Head coach is the most prized job in the NRL.

If CC wants to tuck his head under Ivans blanket, then he’s not a fit and proper person to lead our club. Not the temperament we need.

Gus and the dogs must be very concerned about their chances for Gus’s story to come out.

I think they know they’ve blown it and we are in the box seat. If not, we should be.

We just need to chill and keep Lee out of the media loop.

Respect Cameron’s wishes as to when he said he’d get back to us. That could be a test.
Doesnt help when you cant win any games and all of a sudden the dogs start playing well

I'm wondering what people's reactions are after seeing Tim Sheens standing behind Noddy in the coaches box during the Manly game.
I got the impression from Noddy's countenance that he felt uneasy having someone looking over his shoulder.
Yeah, he shouldn’t be anywhere near the coach cobra 🐍 buddy. It’s a bit humiliating for Noddy and it didn’t help one iota.

Reactions: BZN
Good to see.
He is there for support if Noddy asks for it.
Guys first game as the NRL coach.
Sheens doesn’t need an invite to coaches box during these transition times.
Its not like Noddy is going to score the gig.

Staff online

Back