Australia Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cant get rid of the whitey celebration? Lets just take it over.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...scend-national-divisions-20240117-p5ey0t.html

The program for Sydney’s Australia Day commemorations was announced on Wednesday, with NSW Australia Day Council chairman Andrew Parker saying “it honours the strength and resilience of our First Nations people”.

The day will begin at dawn as the Opera House sails are lit by artwork representing Aboriginal culture and people. The Australian National Flag and Aboriginal Flag will also be raised on the Harbour Bridge at dawn.

Following the Dawn Reflection, the WugulOra Morning Ceremony will take place in Barangaroo Reserve to cleanse the way for new beginnings. Through music, dance and storytelling, the ceremony will celebrate the Gadigal people of the Eora nation.

Sounds just like another day in NIADOC week.

Cant get rid of the whitey celebration? Lets just take it over.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...scend-national-divisions-20240117-p5ey0t.html

Sounds just like another day in NIADOC week.
Sounds like a pretty sensible way to approach it to me. Arent we celebrating/commemorating our country? This is what happened and IMO if we can find a way to celebrate the great achievements since settlement whilst acknowledging the impact on indigenous Australians and their resilience with this context, Im struggling to find a negative in there.

Prayers and Thoughts for King Charles and Princess Kate. With their respective surgeries. Australia is behind you as your loyal subjects. Remember them not just today. But Australia Day. The world will be lesser without them. They are our heroes. They must be doing it tough in life. Again. Prayers and Thoughts

Sounds like a pretty sensible way to approach it to me. Arent we celebrating/commemorating our country? This is what happened and IMO if we can find a way to celebrate the great achievements since settlement whilst acknowledging the impact on indigenous Australians and their resilience with this context, Im struggling to find a negative in there.

Well for a start, it isn't NAIDOC week or one of the multiple other Days and Weeks that we celebrate our First Nations People, it's Australia Day. The last I looked, that is 100% of the population, not 3%.

What is so problematic that, on ONE day - ONE DAY - that our British history and achievements are not celebrated and applauded?

No, there isn't a single negative where the 3% are celebrated and the 97% are minimised at best, vilified at worst.

Well for a start, it isn't NAIDOC week or one of the multiple other Days and Weeks that we celebrate our First Nations People, it's Australia Day. The last I looked, that is 100% of the population, not 3%.

Did you even read the article? Noone is stopping celebrations, the Aus day celebrations are going on as normal and including indigenous people who are celebrating. Are indigenous people not Australian?

What is so problematic that, on ONE day - ONE DAY - that our British history and achievements are not celebrated and applauded?
To who?

No, there isn't a single negative where the 3% are celebrated and the 97% are minimised at best, vilified at worst.
Its AUSTRALIA day celebrations, for AUSTRALIANS. Indigenous people are Australian. Or do you mean White Australia day, or Non Indigenous Australia day?

"The First Fleet of 11 ships, commanded by Captain Arthur Phillip, set up a convict settlement at Sydney Cove (now Circular Quay) on 26 January 1788. This was the beginning of convict settlement in Australia."
Facts...source Australian National museum

What are you trying to say Misty?

Aren’t we saying the same thing? Or are you disputing they landed first on 18 Jan?

What are you trying to say Misty?

Aren’t we saying the same thing? Or are you disputing they landed first on 18 Jan?
I think I screwed up the quoting, but I do also think we are saying slightly different things. I take you to be saying Jan 26 isnt anything special.

They landed on 18 Jan, but didnt set up a settlement. On 26 Jan they landed at Sydney Cove and set up the settlement that would become modern Australia. 26 January was the date they arrived in Sydney Cove, it was they day they set up the settlement and established the penal colony. That is the event and the date that is celebrated and commemorated.

I think I screwed up the quoting, but I do also think we are saying slightly different things. I take you to be saying Jan 26 isnt anything special.

They landed on 18 Jan, but didnt set up a settlement. On 26 Jan they landed at Sydney Cove and set up the settlement that would become modern Australia. 26 January was the date they arrived in Sydney Cove, it was they day they set up the settlement and established the penal colony. That is the event and the date that is celebrated and commemorated.
Ok I understand...

I guess I mean in the context of people getting offended. It shouldn't mean any more or any less than the other dates surrounding it. One could take offense at any date depending on how they see things, yet the big focus is on the 26th.

To call this "Invasion Day" is totally out of historical context and the way the world worked at the time.

Ffs just change the date to 25th
The day before the invasion and they can get pissed and wake up to reality the next day
Then move the squeaky wheel to another issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back