Charlie Staines #262

The jury is out on Staines. The reasons he came to us were, in no particular order; 1. he won't make the cut at Penrith 2. he's cheap 3. he's fast 4. We don't have any real speedsters.
To my mind, he is hanging on to the scrapbook accomplishment of his five tries in one game two years ago. From memory, he was simply required to catch the ball and cross the line in each case. Since then he has looked merely serviceable. He was rumoured to be a star in the juniors but has a lot to prove in first grade. There is no way he should replace Laurie, who, although needing to brush up in some areas, at least showed guts and some attacking flair towards the end of the season.
Staines at fullback and Laurie in the halves has been discussed, not sure if that is a legit option or not. Gus Gould always said Laurie is a 5/8.

Yes the jury is out. I don't think Laurie is the answer, and Stains has had little opportunity on the wing. A speedy FB is a must in in this game, and i don't think Laurie is that quick. I agree he did show some flair, but like AD not enough for a top side. We must always aim higher, to get higher or we remain at the bottom. We cannot have average players in key positions, don't compare our players to others in the team, compare them to players in the top 4 teams, that should be our goal.
We will know by mid next year if Stains or Laurie are good enough, if not keep shopping!

Yes the jury is out. I don't think Laurie is the answer, and Stains has had little opportunity on the wing. A speedy FB is a must in in this game, and i don't think Laurie is that quick. I agree he did show some flair, but like AD not enough for a top side. We must always aim higher, to get higher or we remain at the bottom. We cannot have average players in key positions, don't compare our players to others in the team, compare them to players in the top 4 teams, that should be our goal.
We will know by mid next year if Stains or Laurie are good enough, if not keep shopping!
But I'd like to couch that with a couple of points Sleeve. Firstly, Laurie has been playing in an exceedingly weak team, with soft forwards that create no momentum, and a set of halves that were either clueless or lacking continuity. Also, he took a while to gain confidence after his ankle injury and was probably rushed back due to a lack of alternate options. I don't believe he has reached his full potential yet and it takes time to become a quality first grader, especially in a multifaceted position like fullback. I thought he started to gain his mojo towards the end of 2022, showing toughness and elusiveness when running and a clever pass when chiming in. Whether or not he is more suited to five eighth remains to be seen.

But I'd like to couch that with a couple of points Sleeve. Firstly, Laurie has been playing in an exceedingly weak team, with soft forwards that create no momentum, and a set of halves that were either clueless or lacking continuity. Also, he took a while to gain confidence after his ankle injury and was probably rushed back due to a lack of alternate options. I don't believe he has reached his full potential yet and it takes time to become a quality first grader, especially in a multifaceted position like fullback. I thought he started to gain his mojo towards the end of 2022, showing toughness and elusiveness when running and a clever pass when chiming in. Whether or not he is more suited to five eighth remains to be seen.
I think he started playing better when rumours were floating around of us looking at Staines. From memory think just before the cowboys game.

It makes you wonder why they took Peachy and Garner. You would think after winning the top 4 grades you wouldn't need to look outside your own walls.
Still need some hard heads with Nrl experience to cover holes and play reserve grade to help all the good kids they have

We are incredibly lucky to have Staines with us.
Penrith will be wanting him back, particularly now that Crichton is going to the dogs.

I want Naden in the Centers, yet I think he will be on the wing. I can see him being a defensive upgrade on either Ken M or Nofo. Naden can cross and score so it will all work.

Staines will either play center to Naden (I know, it's weird. Yet Naden has been on the wing and I think he will stay there. Staines I see as a little like Michael Jennings) or go fullback. Laurie being either fullback or moving to 5/8.

SO many positions up for grabs. Hope a few hands go up for Cente.r

Yeah, liked most of the limited amount that I caught of Staines in the match today, but his decision to kick early in the count a couple of times left a lot to be desired.
The one he kicked, and Noffa was offside, was obviously a planned move. It was a great kick, but Noffa was asleep. He looked dangerous to me, with limited chances. He can take a high ball, Lauri is awffull and will be found out. Stains can kick, and i have not seen this from Laurie, early days, but Stains for me.

The one he kicked, and Noffa was offside, was obviously a planned move. It was a great kick, but Noffa was asleep. He looked dangerous to me, with limited chances. He can take a high ball, Lauri is awffull and will be found out. Stains can kick, and i have not seen this from Laurie, early days, but Stains for me.

Nofo was called offside so he backed away, from the replay not sure he was but the kick was good. Have no issues with that play.

His kick with Seyfarth outside of him wasn’t on though.

Aside from being clean at the back he also was the one who decided to spread the ball for AJ try. He counted the numbers quickly and spread it.

I noticed alot at times he was counting the opposite numbers and was calling the ball, with his play style shows he is thinking through the attack.

Back