Crawley Warning - ripping us to shreds

Needaname

JOSH ADDO-CARR SHOULD LOOK AT THE EX­PE­RI­ENCES OF ADAM DOUEIHI WHEN CON­SID­ER­ING HIS SWITCH TO THE WESTS TIGERS

The Daily Telegraph (Sydney), Australia 10 Sep 2020 32

IT was a tough de­ci­sion for South Syd­ney let­ting Adam Doueihi go, and at the time it cre­ated a lot of hurt. But even with La­trell Mitchell now out for the sea­son, no one can deny the Rab­bitohs made the right call for the club sign­ing La­trell to play full­back. Wayne Ben­nett al­ways said Doueihi could have stayed and they had the salary cap space to ac­com­mo­date him.

It’s just that Doueihi was also told that his best chance of nail­ing down a reg­u­lar spot this sea­son would have been as a util­ity play­ing off the bench. So Wests Tigers snapped up Doueihi on big money and the prom­ise that he would get first crack at owning the No.1 jumper.

And here we are 18 rounds into the sea­son and it’s all changed at the Tigers yet again.

Now they have set a tar­get on Josh Addo-Carr with a re­ported multi-mil­lion dol­lar four-year of­fer for the world’s best winger to be full­back next year. Let’s not for­get Addo-Carr was once in their sys­tem and they could have kept him for a frac­tion of the price. Re­gard­less of the money, I’d be as ner­vous as hell if I was Addo-Carr.

It seems ev­ery time the Tigers make a de­ci­sion about re­cruit­ment it is odds-on to ex­plode in the club’s face. And this end­less search for a full­back just con­tin­ues on as an­other sea­son goes down the drain.

They had James Tedesco and couldn’t keep him. At the time they also had Ryan Papen­huyzen play­ing lower grades and they let him go to Melbourne.

Imag­ine be­ing a Tigers fan last Friday night when Papen­huyzen and Addo-Carr were tear­ing up ANZ Sta­dium down the Storm’s left edge and giv­ing the Rab­bitohs a cold sweat. It might work out that Addo-Carr will be a sen­sa­tion at full­back, who knows.

But that’s the is­sue, it’s hard to trust the Tigers’ judg­ment given their re­cruit­ment strike rate. The Tigers have made so many stuff-ups it’s be­come a ma­jor em­bar­rass­ment. What would they also give to have Marty Tau­pau right now, or An­drew Fi­fita in re­cent sea­sons?

Mean­while, Doueihi will run out against his for­mer club on Thurs­day night in the cen­tres, with Moses Mbye now fill­ing the full­back spot un­til some­one bet­ter comes along. Mbye him­self has been pushed from pil­lar to post since his ar­rival from Can­ter­bury — and no one still seems to have worked out what his best po­si­tion is.

Last year Ryan Mat­ter­son was the great hope be­fore he fell out with Michael Maguire. Yes, money played a big part in it, but if Mat­ter­son was truly happy would he have left? And on that, why does ev­ery­one at the Tigers seem to be so un­happy? Surely it goes be­yond Maguire’s so-called hard-edge, be­cause it’s been go­ing on since be­fore Tim Sheens was rail­roaded out of the joint. Af­ter Sheens it was Michael Pot­ter’s fault.

Then Ja­son Tay­lor. At least Ivan Cleary had them all on the bus un­til he jumped off. But over the week­end this other story ex­ploded about Russell Packer and Josh Reynolds skip­ping out early dur­ing the Tigers’ come­back win over Manly. While Packer and Reynolds were painted as the vil­lains, what it again high­lighted to me was this wor­ry­ing dis­con­nect be­tween the play­ing group and the ad­min­is­tra­tion. I also found it re­ally poor that the day af­ter the story broke Luke Brooks and Luke Gar­ner were put up to face the me­dia in­stead of some­one in power tak­ing charge. Brooks and Gar­ner should be com­mended for look­ing af­ter their team­mates with words of sup­port. But while they said it wasn’t an is­sue, it is a mas­sive is­sue that Packer and Reynolds have been treated with such a lack of re­spect for so long that they have now ob­vi­ously reached the point where they ap­pear to have all but given up.

You put your­self in their shoes. Imag­ine be­ing in a work­place where the boss who em­ployed you left, and now the new boss doesn’t rate you?

And you have no way out un­less you lose the money that had been promised to you. It is hard to com­pre­hend how hurt Packer and Reynolds must be at the way their rep­u­ta­tions have been stained. Th­ese play­ers have been treated ap­pallingly be­cause, for mine, it is not their fault Cleary signed them on big con­tracts — and the club went into th­ese deals with eyes wide open.

But it is al­most like the club has sat back and watched while this has fes­tered, hop­ing that the em­bar­rass­ment would force the play­ers out. It shows no lead­er­ship. If the club wants to get rid of Packer and Reynolds then surely it should be done with a cer­tain de­gree of dig­nity, and the play­ers’ wel­fare should be para­mount. Both have an­other year to run on their deals — and un­less the Tigers cover a sub­stan­tial amount of their salaries for next year, no club will take them on.

So will the Tigers still be blam­ing Ivan’s salary cap mess again next year? Or will they fi­nally own up to the problems they helped cre­ate? This is the club with the NRL’s long­est fi­nals drought who are cur­rently sit­ting ninth on the lad­der and, be­ing four points be­hind eighth spot with three games to play, look like miss­ing out on the play-offs for the ninth straight year.

Mean­while, club icon Benji Mar­shall has also been told he is not wanted next sea­son. Again, it is not so much that the Tigers have made a salary cap de­ci­sion not to keep Benji, but more to do with the way he found out — through the pa­pers. Surely the joint ven­ture’s great­est ever player has earned more re­spect.

Which is why it came as no real sur­prise Benji then sought out Ben­nett for some ad­vice. Ben­nett is now 70 and a lot of peo­ple would have you be­lieve he is too old to even hold a con­ver­sa­tion, let alone a con­nec­tion with the mod­ern player.

Yet the relationships he has built up with his play­ers since ar­riv­ing at Souths would surely make Tigers’ fans even more frus­trated with what is go­ing on at their club.

I'm not one to normally criticise the media, usually they're just doing their job. But this guy is a total dirtbag.

Vitriol dribble and more vitriol from the only journo who is more pathetic than slothfield.Not suprised by the comments

A lot of that article is rubbish but other areas are spot on ! The last 10 yrs at this club have been forgettable unfortunately and when some of it is laid bare it is not good reading.

Crawley is a real desperate to write a story like that. Maybe he is desperate to save his own job by pleasing his boss Rothfield with another slanderous Wests Tigers story.

The problems here at the Tigers have been years in the making,

I believe we have learnt from them and have the guys in the chairs to finally turn it around.

@Newtown said in [Crawley Warning \- ripping us to shreds](/post/1226947) said:
o write a story like that. Maybe he is desperate to save his own job by pleasing his boss Rothfield with another slanderous Wests Tigers story.

I thought it was the other way around at Fox

@Needaname said in [Crawley Warning \- ripping us to shreds](/post/1226933) said:
JOSH ADDO-CARR SHOULD LOOK AT THE EX­PE­RI­ENCES OF ADAM DOUEIHI WHEN CON­SID­ER­ING HIS SWITCH TO THE WESTS TIGERS
The Daily Telegraph (Sydney), Australia 10 Sep 2020 32
IT was a tough de­ci­sion for South Syd­ney let­ting Adam Doueihi go, and at the time it cre­ated a lot of hurt. But even with La­trell Mitchell now out for the sea­son, no one can deny the Rab­bitohs made the right call for the club sign­ing La­trell to play full­back. Wayne Ben­nett al­ways said Doueihi could have stayed and they had the salary cap space to ac­com­mo­date him.
It’s just that Doueihi was also told that his best chance of nail­ing down a reg­u­lar spot this sea­son would have been as a util­ity play­ing off the bench. So Wests Tigers snapped up Doueihi on big money and the prom­ise that he would get first crack at owning the No.1 jumper.

I don't know where to start, but lets start with this.

So AD, and AJ weren't at some stage promised the fullback spot at Souths? Didn't they almost shaft AJ, a club legend, because of Mitchell? How does he not see the hypocrisy in what he is saying here.

Not to mention when AD was signed, the news was that he will be Benji's replacement at 6 down the line.

And again, regardless of all that - how many clubs have tried a fullback and it didn't work? Happens with wingers and 5/8's all the time.

Guy clearly has an agenda. Would love to speak to him.

I understand that there are slow news days and he gets paid to write, but please......

He has never coached or played.

His opinion is about as relevant as my non english speaking 80 year old next door neighbour.

This guy is a total hypocrite.
When Packer was suspended for a crusher tackle he was on his soapbox about what a looser the guy was.
Now it’s all cuddles with the guy and why are badly managed WT not considering him for selection and mistreating the poor player.
Crawley is a total, germ has no idea and is driving an obvious agenda against WT, the coach and the Board and CEO.
When he finished his rant on 360 last Tuesday the other panelist’s had smirks on their faces for I think they know what his beef is with the club ..... and it dates back to when Cleary and Pascoe tag team were in charge and they wouldn’t give him the time of the day.... and it’s still the case.

This guy has risen to the top of the dirt pile the last couple of years. As Bennett's mouthpiece it's no coincidence this article appears the same day we play Souffs.
The stupidity of this article is it was his alco mate who produced the Packer/Reynolds early exit story. For all we know the club were dealing with it behind closed doors or it was a non issue at the time. It's the equivilant of pouring an alcoholic a drink and gathering an angry mob together to lynch him after he drives home drunk.

Really disappointed @Tiger_Steve obviously didn't find the concrete wall he was searching for.

AD was not only not going to play FB, but it looked like he was going to be left right out at Souths . He decided to come home to his junior club, the coach who recruited him away from his junior club , and the place his family love as it was reported they were tigers fans . Seriously what the actual ...

@momo_amp_medo said in [Crawley Warning \- ripping us to shreds](/post/1226970) said:
This guy is a total hypocrite.
When Packer was suspended for a crusher tackle he was on his soapbox about what a looser the guy was.
Now it’s all cuddles with the guy and why are badly managed WT not considering him for selection and mistreating the poor player.
Crawley is a total, germ has no idea and is driving an obvious agenda against WT, the coach and the Board and CEO.
When he finished his rant on 360 last Tuesday the other panelist’s had smirks on their faces for I think they know what his beef is with the club ..... and it dates back to when Cleary and Pascoe tag team were in charge and they wouldn’t give him the time of the day.... and it’s still the case.

You’ve nailed it! He’s still holding that grudge, someone from the SMH should write an article on the immature grudge that Crawley is harbouring toward the Wests Tigers.
Just take a look at this guy, his photo that accompanied his articles was taken at least 20 years ago before his face was transformed into a Gregory’s Roadmap .. come on, be honest with yourself Crawley - produce an updated photo (yes, the ghost train version).
Update your photo, be honest about your agenda, Say “Bless me Madge for I have sinned“, light 3 Candles, say 3 Hail Mary’s And 2 Our Fathers - then we’ll forgive you.

Back