FITNESS & GYM

@barra said in [FITNESS & GYM](/post/1103479) said:
@Demps said in [FITNESS & GYM](/post/1103246) said:
@hobbo1 said in [FITNESS & GYM](/post/1103235) said:
@Demps said in [FITNESS & GYM](/post/1103231) said:
@OzLuke said in [FITNESS & GYM](/post/1103221) said:
@Demps said in [FITNESS & GYM](/post/1103207) said:
@OzLuke said in [FITNESS & GYM](/post/1103204) said:
had no chance this morning to do a run, but when i get home from work tonight it'll be walking the dog for 4k.....

Monday, it's to the gym to do heavy bag and pad work.....

I like this thread.......

My accountability???

I fought last in 2018 at 96 kg....right now I'm 103 and feeling like a fat unmotivated j**k

I'm hoping we can all contribute and just keep it alive to motivate each other, track progress, post workouts, etc.

Lil tigers fitness community.
Get us all on the right path, fighting the good fight.

Hows your diet and nutrition bra?
Got respect for any one that gets in the ring.
I'm a life long boxing fan.

diet and nutrition could be a lot better...it was good leading up to my fight then once I had it I continued training for a while but diet slipped badly. Could never get it back. Shift work and commitments for the kids made excuses easy.

Looked in the mirror and was fairly unimpressed with what I saw. Missus had an anniversary reminder come up on her facebook and she mentioned "geez how fit were you!!" and that summed my slide up.

Now I'm back into training and trying to get my diet and nutrition sorted. Training is the easy part, it's the food I struggle with. Any and all advice is welcome from me.

Boxing is the best!!! One of my mates runs the Sydney Fight League and I'm now always at the fights.....one coming up at Paddington RSL and I can't wait!!!

Man, shift worker here too.
Its a struggle but at least you're putting in the effort.

Diet is always the hard part hey.
I'm enjoying the intermittent fasting and keeping the meal clean as possible and noticing improvement.

My brother is a bodybuilder and did the stage posing stuff a few years back but he works long hours these days and has fallen off track but is back into harder than ever this year.

Today i said....i dont look at the numbers on the scales and just go off by how i look.

One of his trainers is a lady in her 40s who use to be on that 6am aerobics show... he said she says the same thing ?

I just wanna look good and feel good as i get older and I'm about this life.

Speaking of boxing just saw our boy George kombosos is 1 fight away from sealing a deal with Loma. Topix for another thread but massive for him but Loma is the best l ol.

How old are you punk ?
?

I turned 30 last September.
Need to get good practices in place now and get the body optimal for the likely incoming health issues and hormonal issues that come with age.

:::

Spoiler Text

Agree with Hobbo - you're still a pup mate!
But certainly agree that a good active programme will not only hold you in good stead but in fact becomes mandatory if you want to keep a good lifestyle later on.
I'm starting to stare down the barrel of 60... have always been pretty active and naturally lean, but realised about 5 years ago that I was seriously losing strength, having more and more back issues and struggling to play sports. So I included a home gym into our reno' we were doing at the time, put in a smith machine and some other stuff. I like the old school weight routines. Keep in mind that this is for strength, not for body building (a bit difficult at my age!) so I could maintain the active lifestyle.
Agree it can be difficult to keep motivated at home, but I've done the gym member thing as well and for me, I definitely do more with it being accessible all hours.
There is no way I would still be playing sport (have been playing full field soccer the last 15 years or so) had I not set this up. I'm almost at the end of being able to play as major stuff is wearing out and the body can't do what the mind remembers, but I still enjoy the team aspect, we have a couple of grades so I'm not an embarrassment on the field, and it's a great group and good social outlet. There is no doubt that you playing keeps you fit, which I think is the most important aspect in having a healthy lifestyle.
In saying that, it can certainly be easier to stay off the routine rather than get back into it when certain factors disrupt the workouts. The most recent one for me was a broken rib back in September, then an overseas trip and before you know it you've had another month off!
Over the weekend I gave the gym a major spring clean, and hit it for a solid session yesterday - time to get back into the groove for a solid pre-season!

Man. Id love to see your home gym.
Can u post pics?

Ive put one together myself but need a few more items until I'm content.

A smith machine? Must have some space.

@Cultured_Bogan said in [FITNESS & GYM](/post/1103471) said:
@underdog said in [FITNESS & GYM](/post/1103464) said:
Thanks for the love lads. At the risk of jumping out on anonymity of the forum I just wanted those of you considering making changes, who are just on the fence to go and do it - and to put a real face on it.

It's easy to hear the stories, it's far more powerful to see one.

It's been great watching your journey mate. You must feel 1,000,000% better than before.

And previous to mine, your journey as well CB. I remember your stories and your struggles, and how your hand was somewhat forced due to health, and thinking - jeez that could be me one day.

Honestly speaking I can't say I had one moment that made me do it, it was the culmination of several things
Having said that, seeing your journey before I undertook mine, was indeed one of them buddy. <3

@underdog said in [FITNESS &amp; GYM](/post/1103482) said:
@Cultured_Bogan said in [FITNESS &amp; GYM](/post/1103471) said:
@underdog said in [FITNESS &amp; GYM](/post/1103464) said:
Thanks for the love lads. At the risk of jumping out on anonymity of the forum I just wanted those of you considering making changes, who are just on the fence to go and do it - and to put a real face on it.

It's easy to hear the stories, it's far more powerful to see one.

It's been great watching your journey mate. You must feel 1,000,000% better than before.

And previous to mine, your journey as well CB. I remember your stories and your struggles, and how your hand was somewhat forced due to health, and thinking - jeez that could be me one day.

Honestly speaking I can't say I had one moment that made me do it, it was the culmination of several things
Having said that, seeing your journey before I undertook mine, was indeed one of them buddy. <3

Appreciate that mate :left-facing_fist:

What an amazing transformation.
@underdog said in [FITNESS &amp; GYM](/post/1103306) said:
If you want it enough lads, you'll do it

I needed to for my kids.

I'm 170cm.

And was 121.5kg in August 2018.

![tia5284198327130040937.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1579434123673-tia5284198327130040937.jpg) ![20190719_231406.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1579434123625-20190719_231406.jpg)

Enough was enough. Did it the hard way, gym, diet, dads, group.

By June 2019 was down to where I needed to be - 71.3 kilos.

![57382309_10158369392131632_1978408802944286720_o.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1579434221150-57382309_10158369392131632_1978408802944286720_o.jpg)

Now sitting around 74 and building muscle. Best Shape I've ever been in, however more goals than ever.

![81022621_10159226680596632_2617315119851372544_o.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1579434247770-81022621_10159226680596632_2617315119851372544_o.jpg)

My biggest regret?

Not doing it ten years ago. Im currently 38.

@Demps said in [FITNESS &amp; GYM](/post/1103286) said:
@Sco77y said in [FITNESS &amp; GYM](/post/1103283) said:
@Demps said in [FITNESS &amp; GYM](/post/1103280) said:
@Sco77y said in [FITNESS &amp; GYM](/post/1103276) said:
Keen to get back to the gym after a few months away from it. Enjoy strength training and had been hitting new PBs - went from struggling on leg press at 180kg to pushing 240kg comfortably.

I’m guessing I won’t be still at that level now, but my goal is to get back there and also work on some of the more challenging movements (for me anyway) that I’ve always found difficult to progress in - things like barbell squats and dumbbell presses.

Just remember just cos u can leg press 240kg doesnt mean u can squat it.

Squats are the best.

I like the bread n butter workouts.
No machine stuff.

Whatever works for ya tho.

Yeah totally, that’s why I’m keen to improve on the squats. 60kg is my max there so definitely not at all reflective of the leg press. I’m a fan of the bread and butter stuff too - mostly the bigger movements.

Legend.

I felt legs were always my weak spot.
Slow gainer.

So ive really worked on them the past year.
Sometimes twice a week.
Got some good growth and some really jacked calves at last.

Routine is as follows:

Barbell squat x 10-12 reps x 3 sets
Stationary lunges, both legs x 10 reps x 3 sets
Sumo squat (Dumbell) x 10 reps x 3 sets
Straight leg deadlift x 10 reps x 3 sets
Dumbell calf raises, standing x 10 reps x 3 sets (done in all 3 positions. Normal, outward then inward pointing toes)

Then finish off with some glute workouts.
Floor thrusts and raises.

Nice! Yeah important to do the stabilisation exercises - floor raises etc. I always find it hard to fit them in at the end, but they really are critical.

I know that now after injuring my back doing squats - ended up with sciatica.. Was the worst. Couldn't go back to the gym for a couple of months and when I did it was only core exercises and a handful of others to strengthen my lower back and that surrounding area.

Lunges also very underrated! Always feel like I've done some serious work after a few sets of those (even after 1 really).

Sample of one the HIIT workouts

Phase 1 (1:4): Weeks 1-2
15 seconds: High-intensity exercise
60 seconds: Rest or low-intensity exercise
Repeat another 10 times, followed by a final 15-second high-intensity blast.

Phase 2 (1:2): Weeks 3-4
30 seconds: High-intensity exercise
60 seconds: Rest or low-intensity exercise
Repeat another 10 times, followed by a final 30-second high-intensity blast.

Phase 3 (1:1): Weeks 5-6
30 seconds: Rest or low-intensity exercise
Repeat another 16 times, followed by a final 30-second high-intensity blast.

Phase 4 (2:1): Week 7-8
15 seconds: Rest or low-intensity exercise
Repeat another 25 times, followed by a final 30-second high-intensity blast.

Ok, well you bastards have shamed me into it.

Went to the gym today, downloaded the Noom app. Im into it.

Day 1, if you guys dont mind I will use you guys as accountability.

@Tiger5150 said in [FITNESS &amp; GYM](/post/1103550) said:

Is noom free?
Saw the ads.
Whats the go with it ?

How'd your sesh go?
What did u do?

@Demps said in [FITNESS &amp; GYM](/post/1103555) said:

Is noom free?
Saw the ads.
Whats the go with it ?

Noom is definitely not free, quite expensive actually. There is an almost free 2 week trial which Im on right now and then its about $40 a month for 4 months which seems pretty expensive to me but cheap if it works.

Its a pretty complex system of meal logging/exercise logging with a lot of psychology in there. It pitches itself as opening yo up to why you have bad habits, the truth behind it and forming healthy habits. There is two coaches assigned to you to send you messages etc. That starts second day so I dont know what that is about. Its pitched that it an actual human but Im sceptical until I find out. Ill try it out and see.

How'd your sesh go?
What did u do?

30mins cardio (bike)
Bench press
Leg press
free weight curls
Then rowing machine for 15mins

@Tiger5150 said in [FITNESS &amp; GYM](/post/1103564) said:

Is noom free?
Saw the ads.
Whats the go with it ?

Noom is definitely not free, quite expensive actually. There is an almost free 2 week trial which Im on right now and then its about $40 a month for 4 months which seems pretty expensive to me but cheap if it works.

Its a pretty complex system of meal logging/exercise logging with a lot of psychology in there. It pitches itself as opening yo up to why you have bad habits, the truth behind it and forming healthy habits. There is two coaches assigned to you to send you messages etc. That starts second day so I dont know what that is about. Its pitched that it an actual human but Im sceptical until I find out. Ill try it out and see.

How'd your sesh go?
What did u do?

30mins cardio (bike)
Bench press
Leg press
free weight curls

How many reps and sets are u doing on the presses and curls?
Nice little circuit .

I like isolation days where i hit a body part hardout. A single body part.

Lately been trying to get it all in.

So 1 day is chest and back.
Legs and shoulders.
Bis and tris.

And if i can get more days in, do em again.
Cardio days whenever possible.

And core work as much as i can.
Even at work.

@Demps said in [FITNESS &amp; GYM](/post/1103583) said:

Is noom free?
Saw the ads.
Whats the go with it ?

How'd your sesh go?
What did u do?

30mins cardio (bike)
Bench press
Leg press
free weight curls

Nice little circuit .

Legs and shoulders.
Bis and tris.

Even at work.

3 sets of 10 reps of each. Years ago I had one of those things where the gym gives you a PT to set up a circuit for you, at the moment I am much less scientific. I am happy to just get it going and do it. If Im doing it wrong, at least Im doing it. As I get more used to it and hopefully hooked then I can be more scientific in it.

The only logic Im applying at the moment is that as time is tight, I definitely isolate muscle groups so that I can go to the next exercise and push the next group effectively so that my exercise if effecient and Im working out as much as I can without a specific muscle group fatiguing to the point I cant train.

I work for myself and often at home. I have a kettlebell next to my desk and Im trying to swing it around each 30mins.

@Tiger5150 said in [FITNESS &amp; GYM](/post/1103584) said:

Is noom free?
Saw the ads.
Whats the go with it ?

How'd your sesh go?
What did u do?

30mins cardio (bike)
Bench press
Leg press
free weight curls

Nice little circuit .

Legs and shoulders.
Bis and tris.

Even at work.

3 sets of 10 reps of each. Years ago I had one of those things where the gym gives you a PT to set up a circuit for you, at the moment I am much less scientific. I am happy to just get it going and do it. If Im doing it wrong, at least Im doing it. As I get more used to it and hopefully hooked then I can be more scientific in it.

The only logic Im applying at the moment is that as time is tight, I definitely isolate muscle groups so that I can go to the next exercise and push the next group effectively so that my exercise if effecient and Im working out as much as I can without a specific muscle group fatiguing to the point I cant train.

I work for myself and often at home. I have a kettlebell next to my desk and Im trying to swing it around each 30mins.

I turned 60 last year and things really started falling apart. I've always trained and I surf 2-3 times a week but my recovery these days is terrible. However, I think I'm really onto something now.
Since September I've been doing 20 reps, one set each of squats, DB bench press, straight into rows with the same DB's, Leg presses, hamstring curls, standing presses, pull downs, situps and hyperextensions. I do this only twice a week and it takes me about 20 minutes. I haven't felt this good in years!
I started with a fairly light weight so 20 reps was easy and upped the poundage every workout. I'm lifting the same weight now for 20 reps as I was for about 10 reps before I started this.
I've probably maxed out now as I'm flat out at 20 reps on most excercises and TBH, I'm probably not recovering as well as I was. I think my old body is telling me to ease up a bit. I think I might break the sessions up a bit and do squats day one, leg presses day two etc.
I'd seriously recommend this routine and I wished I'd discovered it years ago. One word of caution though, if you're doing your 20 squats at your max, you're going to cry. The other movements I can tolerate, maybe not leg presses, but the squats hurt.

@tigerballs said in [FITNESS &amp; GYM](/post/1103635) said:
@Tiger5150 said in [FITNESS &amp; GYM](/post/1103584) said:

Is noom free?
Saw the ads.
Whats the go with it ?

How'd your sesh go?
What did u do?

30mins cardio (bike)
Bench press
Leg press
free weight curls

Nice little circuit .

Legs and shoulders.
Bis and tris.

Even at work.

I turned 60 last year and things really started falling apart. I've always trained and I surf 2-3 times a week but my recovery these days is terrible. However, I think I'm really onto something now.
Since September I've been doing 20 reps, one set each of squats, DB bench press, straight into rows with the same DB's, Leg presses, hamstring curls, standing presses, pull downs, situps and hyperextensions. I do this only twice a week and it takes me about 20 minutes. I haven't felt this good in years!
I started with a fairly light weight so 20 reps was easy and upped the poundage every workout. I'm lifting the same weight now for 20 reps as I was for about 10 reps before I started this.
I've probably maxed out now as I'm flat out at 20 reps on most excercises and TBH, I'm probably not recovering as well as I was. I think my old body is telling me to ease up a bit. I think I might break the sessions up a bit and do squats day one, leg presses day two etc.
I'd seriously recommend this routine and I wished I'd discovered it years ago. One word of caution though, if you're doing your 20 squats at your max, you're going to cry. The other movements I can tolerate, maybe not leg presses, but the squats hurt.

Squats are the best
Can do em with DBs or a bar.
Can do different variations.

Goblet squat
Sumo squat
Bulgarian split squats

Deadlifts are good to.

Spoiler Text

going to gym tommorow morning

first in a few weeks so will keep it simple with my standard cardio routine

which is basically 20minute run on treadmill and then rest of time on rowing machine

should be good looking forward :the_horns:

@TheDaBoss said in [FITNESS &amp; GYM](/post/1103659) said:

which is basically 20minute run on treadmill and then rest of time on rowing machine

How much u weigh?
Height?

Weight 115 height 6 foot or just shy. Injury stopped training for a while, back in a month and can’t wait.

Deadlift (trap 210) squat (safety - bung shoulder) 210. Both for 1 lift.
5x 180 at both. Bench is garbage with shoulder 80 for 10.
45 sec recovery and back to max if needed.
Hiit on a bike is fine. Rower is rubbish

Got big arse and legs
100m 11 flat as a kid (timed, not stop watch)

Secret - eat right and sleep.

Use Morpheus band and a decent trainer for old guys in Rockdale

Hi guys! I'm on the new year new me bandwagon! I've been very up and down the last few years but overall still a big improvement on where i was. I've been overweight most of my life. Stopped playing soccer at 13 and blew out. When i left high school at 16 i was 5'3" and 95Kgs. By 18 i was 6'4" and down to about 77Kgs. But by 21 i was up near 100. I hovered around that for years, was always fairly fir and strong just always carried weight. Then i left a job where i worked in an 11 storey power station with no lifts and spent nearly 12 months in a classroom all day. I blew out to 118kgs. i was coaching my older boys U7's footy team and when i couldn't keep up with them for an 8min half i knew it was time to do something about it. I also sing in a band and was struggling to get through a 50min set without a heart attack. I joined the gym and got down to about 105 but then aggravated an old blown out disc which ruptured and i wound up needing spinal surgery. It took a while to get back into it properly but i have found since then that the more core work i do the better my back is. It limits my squats and leg presses a bit as its the lowest disc but i just try to do more reps rather than go heavier. I did an ASN 60 day challenge 2 years ago and lost 14kgs and got down to 92 which was a bit too skinny for me i think, i'm currently up at 104 but according to my last body scan i had only about 3kgs of that gain is fat so i can live with that.
My current goal is to get back to double digits and to be able to bench 100kgs for 3 sets of ten. I don't care what my 1 rep max is, i want to build usable muscle. I usually start each workout with 3kms on the rowing machine unless i'm doing back work in which case i will normally hit the eliptical trainer or something. Thats about the limit of my cardio other than doing gigs and jumping around and singing/playing guitar for 4 hours a couple of times a month. My diet is heaps better than it was but my big problem has always been consistency. I can drop weight pretty quickly but then i get lazy and pt it all back on. Not this year! I intend to have a 6 pack on my 40th birthday and for once not the kind you drink!!

@patwalker my goal was to play more with my kids, Found lifting and won on both counts really. Goals are personal an not digits on a scale. All I know is my life is better with exercise and I’m about 2 months off training again

Oce you get through the pain of the first few weeks you really do feel better for it. Apparently i like the pain because i keep having 2-3months at a time off and then have to start again... I'm fairly hurting all over right now!

@Demps said in [FITNESS &amp; GYM](/post/1103668) said:
@TheDaBoss said in [FITNESS &amp; GYM](/post/1103659) said:

How much u weigh?
Height?

Um

Haven't weighed in a while

But judging I probably am about 100 give or take a kilo

I don't like looking at scales

I prefer to just keep grinding until results mature e.g. better fitting shirt of simply someone complementing u

Members online

Back