Madge Maguire - Mega Thread

I was excited when we signed Madge and supportive over the last 3 years. After reading several articles and witnessing a steady decline in every aspect of the team over the last three years, I am now indifferent to what the board decide, whether to keep him or sack him. I am more open now (after everything I have seen and read) to a possible change in coach. We have a great infrastructure laid out, from regulated recruitment to pathways and a new COA. We have a promising bunch of youngsters in the top grade and coming through.

How much worse can it get with a new coach? Will it be the same ole if Madge stays. Maybe the team will respond differently to someone else. If the board decide to part ways, the new coach will have a pretty good platform to work with, and if he can manage the players better, recruit well from his previous experiences, I can’t see that as being a negative. I just don’t want 2022 to be an equal or lesser version of this year.

@lauren said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465694) said:
@geo said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465659) said:
I won't say the buck passing in our Club never ceases to amaze me because quite frankly it doesn't..

None of them have mirrors....it's always someone else's fault...nothing will change only the names to protect the guilty...

As a fan all you can do is hope...the thing rebellions are built on...

Instead of back stabbing, back slapping and finger pointing..pull you bloody fingers out and do something for crying out loud..

This is what does me about the club, that set-up-to-fail syndrome is and has been present for a while and it will continue to leave us in a tailspin until they all recognise their own failures.

100%.
Grandstanding on the highest level.

Oh we are all responsible. I’ll put my hand up If YOU can convince me it’s MY FAULT.
But the fact is I have INVESTED all my efforts and finance into another department and the RESULTS aren’t reflecting MY return for INVESTMENT.

@needaname said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465663) said:
@jirskyr said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465336) said:
@needaname said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1464979) said:
Imagine a struggling club giving the SuperCoach a 10 day deadline to decide if he is going to leave his current club a year early.
Should of, from day one agreed to move on from Cleary internally, agreed with Bennett to start in 2020 and figured out the rest afterwards.

That's not the narrative though. There wasn't a guarantee Bennett would ever leave Brisbane, because it was a tug of war between him and certain senior elements on the Broncos Board.

Bennett said, now in writing, he was open to taking the Tigers position but couldn't honourably leave his Broncos side a year early (also contractually he's not permitted to). Now maybe Bennett is some mad loyalist or maybe he was forcing the Broncos' hand for a super-duper payout for his troubles, but whatever the reason he was hanging around until at least the end of his contract, and if he could outstay or out-result the naysayers within the Broncos, there's also a chance he re-signs with Broncos. Wayne Bennett is not a political mug, he's been at it for a very long time.

So I don't see anywhere suggested that Bennett was willing to sign on for 2020 with Tigers without knowing his exact future at Broncos. That was never the offer and I've never heard it said that Bennett was willing to come a year later. Bennett has only ever said "I can't leave the Broncos right now". And then, months later, Bennett gets the chop.

Well you can read between the lines. When someone says I want to coach you but I still have a year left with Brisbane and I’m not going to leave them without finishing the job does give an indication that he was ready to move on.
Bennett knew he was being moved on but he was angling for the payout. No way he was ever going to quit.

@geo said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465670) said:
@jrtiger said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465661) said:
@geo said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465659) said:
I won't say the buck passing in our Club never ceases to amaze me because quite frankly it doesn't..

None of them have mirrors....it's always someone else's fault...nothing will change only the names to protect the guilty...

As a fan all you can do is hope...the thing rebellions are built on...

Instead of back stabbing, back slapping and finger pointing..pull you bloody fingers out and do something for crying out loud..

what's your view on the whole situation mate? do you think Madge should be moved on?

I don't think it's a question of should.. a week ago personally I would have stuck the course with him ...now given what has transpired and how the place operates he's gone..

That will not change a thing IMO...

Good luck to the next guy...

In the same boat as me....hope you are a good swimmer

Blog with Hooper should be good reading. Afternoon story time followed by a nap

@tilllindemann said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465705) said:
@aturkey said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465696) said:
@tilllindemann said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465652) said:
@aturkey said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465644) said:
Madge has only had success in the NRL with a team that had Greg Inglis (in his peak), Luke Keary and Adam Reynolds as halves (Legit perfect halves pairing), Sam Burgess (in his peak) and two hookers of Isaac Luke (in his peak) and a handy replacement in Api Korisau.

If we're not going to count premierships that have good players in the team, we're not going to be counting many premierships at all. Clubs like the Roosters have fielded teams where every.single.player is a representative.

I understand it's an achievement but I really don't think it's as relevant as everyone is making it out to be. People seem to put Madge in a tier above others because of that prem, which is ludicrous to me considering the talent. He's about the same as Paul Green.

He is *definitely* in a tier above Green, Morris, Ciraldo, Payten, etc.

If the Souths premiership was his only success maybe you could say he fluked it, but he also won a premiership in a different comp with totally different players, and he has had success as a test coach with NZ. To have success in three different forms of our sport suggests he is in fact very adaptable, in contrast with the clichés self-serving media commentators trot out about him.

He started his time at WT with a screwed cap and the oldest squad in the NRL, now he has the youngest squad in the NRL. He should be judged on how he progresses with those youngsters, not judged on how he went with inherited duds like Mbye, Reynolds, Packer etc. But looks like he won't get that chance because of the jokers who run this club.

Just because he had success in the super league and some success at international level doesn't show that he is above someone like Green at NRL LEVEL, who has the same accolades as him at NRL level, which is what matters to you lot. He is at the same level as Green, if we're using accolades to measure, which is what everyone seems to use when judging him. You can't say he's better than Green in the NRL, when they both have 1 NRL premiership. It's so weird to me that people place him on this tier above coaches like Green.

Also Paul Green has not coached at international level or in the super league. So it's only fair we compare what they have achieved in the hardest RL comp in the world.

Answer me this: why is he a good coach? (Without mentioning accolades)

@tiger5150 said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465713) said:
@needaname said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465663) said:
@jirskyr said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465336) said:
@needaname said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1464979) said:
Imagine a struggling club giving the SuperCoach a 10 day deadline to decide if he is going to leave his current club a year early.
Should of, from day one agreed to move on from Cleary internally, agreed with Bennett to start in 2020 and figured out the rest afterwards.

That's not the narrative though. There wasn't a guarantee Bennett would ever leave Brisbane, because it was a tug of war between him and certain senior elements on the Broncos Board.

Bennett said, now in writing, he was open to taking the Tigers position but couldn't honourably leave his Broncos side a year early (also contractually he's not permitted to). Now maybe Bennett is some mad loyalist or maybe he was forcing the Broncos' hand for a super-duper payout for his troubles, but whatever the reason he was hanging around until at least the end of his contract, and if he could outstay or out-result the naysayers within the Broncos, there's also a chance he re-signs with Broncos. Wayne Bennett is not a political mug, he's been at it for a very long time.

So I don't see anywhere suggested that Bennett was willing to sign on for 2020 with Tigers without knowing his exact future at Broncos. That was never the offer and I've never heard it said that Bennett was willing to come a year later. Bennett has only ever said "I can't leave the Broncos right now". And then, months later, Bennett gets the chop.

Well you can read between the lines. When someone says I want to coach you but I still have a year left with Brisbane and I’m not going to leave them without finishing the job does give an indication that he was ready to move on.

Bennett knew he was being moved on but he was angling for the payout. No way he was ever going to quit.

100% but a coach at that time could be signed years in advance.
We knew that Cleary was going to Penrith In 2021 a deal could of been made to ask him to make that move a year earlier and Bennett could of been signed to start 2020 with the Tigers.

Remember the whole debacle started because Ivan decided not to extend with the Tigers and was heading back end of 2020 to a new deal with the Panthers.

They changed the rule after that whereby a coach can only sign a new contract until they start the final year of their existing contract (Nov 1)

Even still with the old contract laws or the new contract laws there was nothing stopping our club signing Wayne Bennett for the start of the 2020 season.

@tigerpower said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465689) said:
Madge is gone. I hope brooks the white ant is gone with him.

People in this forum have been bleating for years that Madge cant coach (I have not been one of them) but when there is a report stating the Brooks agrees with them, he is a white ant now?

@tiger5150 said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465348) said:
I dont think the club is dumb enough to punt Madge.
He isnt perfect, but
He is the only one with a heart beat in the joint.
Were lucky if he stays.

I have been 100% in this camp until now. THere is clearly something badly broken and it is not being fixed. The most likely problem is the coach. It is possible that somehow its not Madges fault, but somehow the board, but less likely IMO.

Disagree 5150

* We buy the wrong players
* Pay them too much
* Don't make them accountable for their performance's

Why don't we put more on the Management team ?

We have been a basket case of a club for more than the last 3 years. This isn't Madge's fault alone.

15 Years of mostly garbage and inconsistency.

@spartan117 said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465736) said:
@tiger5150 said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465348) said:
I dont think the club is dumb enough to punt Madge.
He isnt perfect, but
He is the only one with a heart beat in the joint.
Were lucky if he stays.

I have been 100% in this camp until now. THere is clearly something badly broken and it is not being fixed. The most likely problem is the coach. It is possible that somehow its not Madges fault, but somehow the board, but less likely IMO.

Disagree 5150

* We buy the wrong players
* Pay them too much
* Don't make them accountable for their performance's

Why don't we put more on the Management team ?

We have been a basket case of a club for more than the last 3 years. This isn't Madge's fault alone.

15 Years of mostly garbage and inconsistency.

We are worse than when he got here.

@tiger5150 said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465726) said:
@tigerpower said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465689) said:
Madge is gone. I hope brooks the white ant is gone with him.

People in this forum have been bleating for years that Madge cant coach (I have not been one of them) but when there is a report stating the Brooks agrees with them, he is a white ant now?

Sugar, where did Brooks bring that pearler out? Maybe he did tank? He played like he was?

@wt2k said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465721) said:
Blog with Hooper should be good reading. Afternoon story time followed by a nap

This was good, builds up the suspense:
Maguire and Hartigan also had a major blow-up inside the club’s bubble in Brisbane as the blame game around who is more responsible for the lack of on-field results was thrashed out.

Too long to post the rest. https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2021-blog-with-hoops-wests-tigers-michael-maguire-justin-pascoe-players-bulldogs/news-story/88e9828d5f6599a62a0e5df8f1813239

@harvey said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465697) said:
@kiwitiger said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465653) said:
@harvey said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465645) said:
Pascoe and Hartigan conducting the review. Obviously it is not their fault & so Madge will be moved on.

Your joking about those 2 conducting the review right?

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/dead-coach-walking-ugly-rift-shows-its-over/news-story/3d5a0073dd03a1eada91851935631dd4?from=rss-flipboard

The Tigers are about to commence a post-season review led by CEO Justin Pascoe and head of football Adam Hartigan and Sunday’s humiliating loss certainly doesn’t put Maguire in good stead.

Wow just wow. AH and JP should be reviewed at the same time. Might as well get nofa to review the playing group as well.

I don’t think Madge is the problem, don’t think he is the solution though.

- use of the bench is off
- scared of hiring decent assistants?
- authoritative style…pure speculation but having a lot of softer spoken islander guys in the team and no smart senior players to mediate is an issue

@kiwitiger said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465742) said:
@harvey said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465697) said:
@kiwitiger said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465653) said:
@harvey said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465645) said:
Pascoe and Hartigan conducting the review. Obviously it is not their fault & so Madge will be moved on.

Your joking about those 2 conducting the review right?

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/dead-coach-walking-ugly-rift-shows-its-over/news-story/3d5a0073dd03a1eada91851935631dd4?from=rss-flipboard

The Tigers are about to commence a post-season review led by CEO Justin Pascoe and head of football Adam Hartigan and Sunday’s humiliating loss certainly doesn’t put Maguire in good stead.

Wow just wow. AH and JP should be reviewed at the same time. Might as well get nofa to review the playing group as well.

Prayers go out to the A and B defenders ?

“That’s one thing I’ve spoken about quite a bit, about the transformation that we’re doing at the club."

Which would be fine and every single supporter should realise it takes time, but after 3 years, there's been no improvement, we've gone backwards.....

If we won on Sunday, if there were a lot more close losses, I'd expect the supporter base and club would be more patient.

I can cope with Maguire staying if Brooks leaves. That’s the most necessary divorce in the game right now.

@tigerdave said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465749) said:
Which would be fine and every single supporter should realise it takes time, but after 3 years, there’s been no improvement, we’ve gone backwards…

But it's a totally different squad to 3 years ago, a squad that is now the youngest in the NRL.

@aturkey said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465703) said:
@thedaboss said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465700) said:
@aturkey said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465696) said:
@tilllindemann said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465652) said:
@aturkey said in [Madge Maguire \- Mega Thread](/post/1465644) said:
Madge has only had success in the NRL with a team that had Greg Inglis (in his peak), Luke Keary and Adam Reynolds as halves (Legit perfect halves pairing), Sam Burgess (in his peak) and two hookers of Isaac Luke (in his peak) and a handy replacement in Api Korisau.

If we're not going to count premierships that have good players in the team, we're not going to be counting many premierships at all. Clubs like the Roosters have fielded teams where every.single.player is a representative.

I understand it's an achievement but I really don't think it's as relevant as everyone is making it out to be. People seem to put Madge in a tier above others because of that prem, which is ludicrous to me considering the talent. He's about the same as Paul Green. He has shown NOTHING since that premiership.

Answer me this: why do people think he's a good coach? (Without mentioning 2014)

I think he is a good coach....prior to thr game becoming modern..e.g. becoming faster

Its moved away from his ideal style of footy in 2014

Thats my take on it anyway

Exactly why he should be moved on. He cannot adapt. The best coaches do: Hasler, Bellamy

Des is the perfect example of how rosters determine a coaches fate. The Bulldogs couldn't wait to see the back of him due to his coaching -
and stifling of creativity. Now overseeing one of the most naturally gifted rosters in the comp and he gets his cred back.

I honestly don't understand how a new coach will do anything.

The team we had out on the park yesterday were rejects from other clubs and most are on contract next year.

Members online

Back