Papenhuyzen to Melbourne

@ said:
@ said:
CB, sometimes you have to pay out good money to retain the best juniors. That is the way of the NRL.

Slater is the best I have ever seen. Darius Boyd is an outstanding fullback and I rate him very highly. Tedesco is very good but not at their level.

Where do you play him? You're going to pay a fortune to a kid to play on the wing?

FMD… You have no idea.

Wasn't it the plan according to one well placed poster who provided interesting information to play him on the wing? I guess it was too good to be true because we don't like pace ie JAC and now Papenhuyzen.

Ha paws is trolling up a treat in this thread, he must have pulled in 20 frustrated forummers to give their 2c.

Bottom line is I agree with 99% of others, if you produce good volumes of talented juniors, you get to keep some, you probably get to cherry pick who you keep, and loyalty can be a real thing. But of course you also lose some juniors and some of those kids do well at other clubs.

It's pretty obvious you cannot spend big bucks repeatedly in the one position. If you have a marquee like Tedesco, then his backup by default has to be cheap. Cheap, experienced and ready NOW, for all paws' talk of a backup/transition for an injured Tedesco, Ryan P is not even close to ready now.

So paws is either trolling like a pro or just obtusely single-minded.

Who knows why the kid decided to head South,money,opportunities,could be any number of reasons. The bottom line he will not be the first to up and leave and some like Ryan Hoffman go onto be really great footballers and some like Albert Hopate turn out to be nothing.

Always a big debate, do you throw a lot of money at a kid with talent or throw the same money at a proven journeyman. It's all about getting the balance right

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
CB, sometimes you have to pay out good money to retain the best juniors. That is the way of the NRL.

Slater is the best I have ever seen. Darius Boyd is an outstanding fullback and I rate him very highly. Tedesco is very good but not at their level.

Where do you play him? You're going to pay a fortune to a kid to play on the wing?

FMD… You have no idea.

Wasn't it the plan according to one well placed poster who provided interesting information to play him on the wing? I guess it was too good to be true because we don't like pace ie JAC and now Papenhuyzen.

Maybe we need to look at it from the kids perspective, he has Teddy in front of him, his pathway is effectively blocked if his preferred position is fullback, don't blame him or the club. He has been given an opportunity to play under arguably one of the best coaches in the modern game, he will be mentored by one of the great fullbacks of all time. Everyone is speculating about what he will be paid, no one knows what the offer is, this will be a great opportunity to develop his game and potentially make it to the NRL, can't hold that against him!

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
We still have Haleta as backup for Tedesco as well as Daniel Roberts who played FB for u20 most of the last year.

Dont know about Roberts, but Heleta has shown nothing at NRL level, in fact he is not much of an improvement on Rankin and everyone knows what I think of him.

The primary back up is obviously Nofoaluma but we won't need him in 2017 touch wood bar SOO time

Hope you are right on both counts Happy

@ said:
Ha paws is trolling up a treat in this thread, he must have pulled in 20 frustrated forummers to give their 2c.

Bottom line is I agree with 99% of others, if you produce good volumes of talented juniors, you get to keep some, you probably get to cherry pick who you keep, and loyalty can be a real thing. But of course you also lose some juniors and some of those kids do well at other clubs.

It's pretty obvious you cannot spend big bucks repeatedly in the one position. If you have a marquee like Tedesco, then his backup by default has to be cheap. Cheap, experienced and ready NOW, for all paws' talk of a backup/transition for an injured Tedesco, Ryan P is not even close to ready now.

So paws is either trolling like a pro or just obtusely single-minded.

Or both.

looks like the storm see us as there feeder club, the sharks are not going to be happy, lol.

While it's always disappointing to lose a talented junior, as has been said you can't keep them all. If given the choice of Pap or Suli i would choose Suli every day of the week. Not only is Suli capable of filling in at centre and wing he's also ready to play NRL now. Pap will still be a few years off being ready.

I wonder how many on here have actually seen the kid play too? He is very quick, and goes hard for someone his size. He is very lean but a decent height for a fullback. But there's no way we can keep an outstanding junior fullback when we have the best fullback in the game in the NRL. We have tried pap on the wing and a bit at centre in NYC last season and he wasn't bad there, but that's still at NYC level. A lot different when it comes to NRL. Realistically he's a backup fullback and not much else. Could play 5/8 too. I would ahve my doubts on his ability to play wing in the nrl.

I also think Connelly Lemuelu has also jumped his place in the squad. Connelly was the outstanding fullback in the schoolboys comp last year. He's also a very solid build and a very talented ball player. Capable of playing anywhere 1-7 in the backline i'd say. A versatile player like that is far more valuable in the long run and if given the choice between Connelly and Pap i may lean to the former, although i admit to not having seen him play yet.

Given Connelly already featured in NRL trials it suggests the coaching staff think he's more than capable of making teh step up, despite not having even played NYC at that point. I wonder if Connelly would now transfer to fullback in NYC and Pap to the wing. Although in the short term it's probably more likely for him to play NRL on the wing than at fullback

Bugger. I was looking forward to watching him come through our club. By all accounts he's a superstar.
Good luck to him at Melb

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

FMD… You have no idea.

He was being groomed for the centres paws, but nice attempt to deflect. Take a couple of panadol and have a lie down. Losing a 76kg schoolboy who is a couple of years away from FG has taken its toll on you. And people wonder why the Tigers have had salary cap problems in the past… :brick:

@ said:
I don't support poor decisions and this is a very poor decision. Tedesco is one knee injury away from being finished and we should have a succession plan in place. Apparently management do not agree.

Succession plan? Teddy is still a kid. Would your succession plan be pay Papenhuyzen top dollar and ask him to hang around and wait for 6 years?

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

FMD… You have no idea.

He was being groomed for the centres paws, but nice attempt to deflect. Take a couple of panadol and have a lie down. Losing a 76kg schoolboy who is a couple of years away from FG has taken its toll on you. And people wonder why the Tigers have had salary cap problems in the past… :brick:

Well said Willow

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
I don't support poor decisions and this is a very poor decision. Tedesco is one knee injury away from being finished and we should have a succession plan in place. Apparently management do not agree.

Thank God management don't agree with you. You had Kurtis Rowe as the next big thing. In fact you have anyone who plays in Tedesco's position as the next big thing.
It's a great decision by strong management and you don't have to worry about Tedesco who you continually abuse and belittle.
Don't worry your little head about it Mrs Rowe and stop putting Tedesco down. Do you actually even support the Tigers ?

Succession planning is a part of business, In fact it is good business and can you honestly admit that when Tedesco goes down, you don't worry? I 've heard commentators express their concerns when this happens. Not ill will but reality.

That's hilarious..good business is getting rid of non Wests Tigers supporters off the forum.
But anyhow it's good to see you back Mrs Mullaney.

We get it..you don't like Tedesco.
But I have some very bad news for you, Tedesco is about to resign and will be here for another 10 years at least.

Just worry about your mates Kurtis Rowe, Jake Mullaney, Jack Wighton and your new friend Ryan Papenhuyzen they could all be one knee injury away from being finished.

@ said:
what's the point in developing juniors like this kid and TMM etc?

This is the question. We are the feeder team for when the Storm come calling.

You'll get Happy rejoicing how Dale Copley would be a good buy when in fact he is not good enough for the Broncs, not good enough for the Roosters but great for us.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

Thank God management don't agree with you. You had Kurtis Rowe as the next big thing. In fact you have anyone who plays in Tedesco's position as the next big thing.
It's a great decision by strong management and you don't have to worry about Tedesco who you continually abuse and belittle.
Don't worry your little head about it Mrs Rowe and stop putting Tedesco down. Do you actually even support the Tigers ?

Succession planning is a part of business, In fact it is good business and can you honestly admit that when Tedesco goes down, you don't worry? I 've heard commentators express their concerns when this happens. Not ill will but reality.

That's hilarious..good business is getting rid of non Wests Tigers supporters off the forum.
But anyhow it's good to see you back Mrs Mullaney.

We get it..you don't like Tedesco.
But I have some very bad news for you, Tedesco is about to resign and will be here for another 10 years at least.

Just worry about your mates Kurtis Rowe, Jake Mullaney, Jack Wighton and your new friend Ryan Papenhuyzen they could all be one knee injury away from being finished.

Thanks Fumbles. :sunglasses:

@ said:
@ said:

You'll get Happy rejoicing how Dale Copley would be a good buy when in fact he is not good enough for the Broncs, not good enough for the Roosters but great for us.

How many Tigers players have gone to the Storm?

Good luck to the young fellow.

Every NRL player is only one injury away from a career ending event.

Not ever super star junior makes the transition, Miller, Might Mouse, etc.

76 kgs in the modern game is very light. If he is even a shadow of a player like Hodgo then he will be a good player.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

How many Tigers players have gone to the Storm?

Players Jnr Moors, Marika Koroibete, Josh Addo-Carr..Wests Juniors Koroibete…

Latest posts

Staff online

Back