Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds

Whats wrong with Canterbury doing up Belmore which as their original intention not that long ago, leave Liverpool out and upgrade Campbelltown, if Leichhardt is a no go? Brookvale and Penrith are existing homegrounds for NRL teams why should we have to share a ground with Canterbury?.

Wests Campbelltown would have to voluntarily come back into the fold for it to work though.

@tv-ted-ellery said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1497097) said:
@jadtiger said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1497079) said:
Hopefully the LNP slush fund is fully loaded to throw megabucks at Leichhardt Oval at the next election,they could start by throwing 100m at it on monday after all it is a marginal seat

The Greens MP for Balmain won 42% of the primary vote at the last election, with the Lib candidate a distant third. I wouldn't describe it as a marginal seat.

I don't think any redevelopment of LO would get past council.

@jrdee said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1497189) said:
I wonder if this new Premier drinks Grange Hermitage like the last West’s Tigers supporting Premier ?????

He drinks the holy water every sunday at his church

As PVL has already indicated a new Stadium at Liverpool is under consideration.Who cares if we share it with the Bulldogs or anyone else for that matter its been stated the any new facility will be a multi use facility the area around Liverpool if you draw a circle of 20 k from the middle covers he'll of a lot of ground much of which is new and developing area

Staff Writers from Fox Sports
October 24th, 2021 11:40 am
New South Wales premier Dominic Perrottet has confirmed he will push support for suburban grounds to be redeveloped over NRL clubs playing at big stadiums.

The Sydney Football Stadium, home of the Roosters is in the process of being redeveloped but the NSW government have aborted plans to do the same with the 21-year-old Olympic Stadium at Homebush.

The Daily Telegraph reported the government and NRL will instead focus on a stadium policy which will favour suburban grounds and other versions of the Eels’ homeground now known as CommBank Stadium.

The Dragons’ homeground of Jubilee Oval in Kogarah was previously considered a leading candidate for redevelopment, but the focus has reportedly shifted to redeveloping Brookvale Oval and Penrith Stadium and a new multi-use stadium at Liverpool.

The new Liverpool-based facility could potentially host the Tigers and the Bulldogs in the NRL, while the new Macarthur A-League team would also call the venue home.

However such a move would hurt the Tigers’ homeground Leichhardt Oval’s chances of gaining approval for redevelopment.

Perrottet, who ironically is a Tigers supporter, is adamant the facilities redeveloped or new must cater for multiple sports to ensure maximum usage.

“As a diehard Wests Tigers fan, I appreciate there is nothing like watching a match from one of our iconic

Leichhardt Oval could miss out on redevelopment.
Source: Supplied
Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter V’landys has long been a supporter of suburban grounds as a means to promote tribalism in the NRL and improve matchday atmosphere, which is lost at the bigger grounds like Homebush during the regular season.

“Having families in Sydney attend suburban grounds is imperative to the future popularity of the game,” V’landys told The Daily Telegraph.

“That’s what tribalism is about. Suburban grounds have an important role to play and should be upgraded for today’s entertainment venue standards.”

@tiger-tarl said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1497196) said:
Am I interpreting this correctly? Does this mean Leichhardt will get its much-needed makeover? Will this mean it could be our one and true home ground? I love the South West, it's a vital part of who we are but Leichhardt with modern facilities could be what we've been waiting for...

No you interpreting incorrectly. No chance Leichhardt being upgraded.

@happy_tiger said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1497177) said:
@jedi_tiger said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1497165) said:
@tv-ted-ellery said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1497097) said:
@jadtiger said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1497079) said:
Hopefully the LNP slush fund is fully loaded to throw megabucks at Leichhardt Oval at the next election,they could start by throwing 100m at it on monday after all it is a marginal seat

The Greens MP for Balmain won 42% of the primary vote at the last election, with the Lib candidate a distant third. I wouldn't describe it as a marginal seat.

Balmain area as Green and left as they come

Probably explains a lot about many of our Forum members .....leftist hippies .....

Could be worse, could be leftist Happies.

This is key

I don't think wests tigers supporters want a no soul mini bankwest in Liverpool.

Honestly, the ANZ owned stadiums are too expensive for most modest families. Even if you can afford it, it's the footy, and we shouldn't be paying that much.

If they're actually gonna follow through with this tribalism statement the marketing is a redevelopment of Leichhardt and Campbelltown with much cheaper ticket options available. If the team manage a good season we will be out in numbers which adds to the spectical of the game on TV.

It's really key cause if it keeps going the way it is could be the death of live footy.

Also if Campbelltown want majority of games the Leagues Club in return should offer a decent sponsorship.

@hank37w said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1497415) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1497177) said:
@jedi_tiger said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1497165) said:

Balmain area as Green and left as they come

Probably explains a lot about many of our Forum members .....leftist hippies .....

Could be worse, could be leftist Happies.

Already have a loonie Happy ......leftist Happy's as well ......

@tony-soprano said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1497427) said:
This is key

I don't think wests tigers supporters want a no soul mini bankwest in Liverpool.

Honestly, the ANZ owned stadiums are too expensive for most modest families. Even if you can afford it, it's the footy, and we shouldn't be paying that much.

If they're actually gonna follow through with this tribalism statement the marketing is a redevelopment of Leichhardt and Campbelltown with much cheaper ticket options available. If the team manage a good season we will be out in numbers which adds to the spectical of the game on TV.

It's really key cause if it keeps going the way it is could be the death of live footy.

Also if Campbelltown want majority of games the Leagues Club in return should offer a decent sponsorship.

Playing at Campbelltown or Leichhardt the clubs supporter base tanks as the majority are locked out … the winning ways will return and when they do the club needs to capitalise financially.
If you want Campbelltown build a 30k stadium … the talk of all this suburban grounds is a con and the Tigers once again will be the losers ! There are three modern stadiums to choose from in the Sydney basin just pick one !

@snake said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1497456) said:
@tony-soprano said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1497427) said:
This is key

Playing at Campbelltown or Leichhardt the clubs supporter base tanks as the majority are locked out … the winning ways will return and when they do the club needs to capitalise financially.
If you want Campbelltown build a 30k stadium … the talk of all this suburban grounds is a con and the Tigers once again will be the losers ! There are three modern stadiums to choose from in the Sydney basin just pick one !

CS & LO have 20K capacity (I was there at the record which I think was around 25k). Both could be upgraded easily to 30K. If the club averaged 25K we would be laughing. As far as "supporter base", lets get 20K paid up members to each ground.

@elderslie_tiger said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1497207) said:

I don't think any redevelopment of LO would get past council.

There’s no chance Darcy and the Greens will approve any redevelopment of LO.

I really enjoying going to the football at suburban grounds and they have there place but touching up Leichhardt or Campbelltown doesn’t really help us. Both have small capacity and limited quality corporate facilities. We need to use them strategically and not try and build our club around them

@chicken_faced_killa said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1497581) said:
I really enjoying going to the football at suburban grounds and they have there place but touching up Leichhardt or Campbelltown doesn’t really help us. ***Both have small capacity and limited quality corporate facilities***. We need to use them strategically and ***not try and build our club around them***

Serious question.....why?

If CS & LO were upgraded with better facilities, enough corporates and 30K capacity, why wouldnt you build a club around them? A soulless ANZ is better?

All this talk about new stadiums ...new assistant coaches ...Sheens coming back

Still glossing over the important things .....recruitment ...retention and accountability from the our upper management .....

@tiger5150 said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1497594) said:
@chicken_faced_killa said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1497581) said:
I really enjoying going to the football at suburban grounds and they have there place but touching up Leichhardt or Campbelltown doesn’t really help us. ***Both have small capacity and limited quality corporate facilities***. We need to use them strategically and ***not try and build our club around them***

Serious question.....why?

If CS & LO were upgraded with better facilities, enough corporates and 30K capacity, why wouldnt you build a club around them? A soulless ANZ is better?

Let’s be realistic that Leichhardt will never be upgraded to a modern stadium with modern facilities. 30k at Leichhardt is pie in the sky talk.

Campbelltown could possibly be upgraded but is a long distance from a large portion of the fan base and the growing junior league in the inner west.

If ANZ got the upgrade they were talking about that would have been great. So it’s BankWest or SFS at the moment.

I love Leichhardt Oval, and I would hate it to be totally gutted, no hill etc. It would loose all its mystique.
Plus with a 30,000 capacity stadium there it would look so out of place and there is still no parking or train service. Potentially a Lidcombe oval upgrade, its near a station and plenty of space for a parking upgrade. But like all options on the table it won't suit everyone. I really don't know the answer to this one.
Ist step I would take is to look at the demographics of Tigers members and find out where most live. To me that is a good starting point. The old 80 - 20 rule it will please most but not all

I don't quite get Liverpool - our Jersey Flegg boys train out of there and that's about it. The basis of the infrastructure already exists at Campbelltown - there's enough space around that ground to rip down existing stands and make it a 30,000 seat stadium. You have a leagues club next door and a train only 200 metres away. Fixing Leichhardt is a bit more complex as it's so closely surrounded by houses and the like and I don't think you can really get rid of the hill here - too much history tied up in it.

We've been accused of neglecting the South-West region and with Group 6 on the doorstep, Campo makes sense to me.

@willow said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1497655) said:
I don't quite get Liverpool - our Jersey Flegg boys train out of there and that's about it. The basis of the infrastructure already exists at Campbelltown - there's enough space around that ground to rip down existing stands and make it a 30,000 seat stadium. You have a leagues club next door and a train only 200 metres away. Fixing Leichhardt is a bit more complex as it's so closely surrounded by houses and the like and I don't think you can really get rid of the hill here - too much history tied up in it.

We've been accused of neglecting the South-West region and with Group 6 on the doorstep, Campo makes sense to me.

I don’t mind Campbelltown and would travel there for games but you lose a big part of the fan base who won’t travel and will lose their connection with the team. The Balmain junior league is a reasonable size and growing. Wests Ashfield is also in the inner west. The club is split over a fair distance and needs to find something in the middle. I’m not a fan of Liverpool personally but I don’t know enough about the proposal and area to have a strong opinion. Going with Campbelltown only will kill the club in my opinion.

Back