Richards a liability

fergiefurr

I really think pats spot in the team needs to be in question. There's no doubt that his goal kicking and place kicks are an absolute weapon for us, however is that enough? For a guy his size he is fairly soft. He doesn't offer good dummy half runs/kick returns, his finishing is very poor (I'm sick of him kicking it infield instead if taking on a guy one on one) and he drops a lot more ball then he should. His defence is always questionable, particularly his decision making.

If we were a top 4 side we could carry him for his kicking, however a team like ours already has weak links, we can't afford another glaring one on the wing.

In an encouraging weekend of 9s, Pat was very disappointing yesterday. I know it's only the 9s but naquimas defensive reads were top class and he would hit and stick everytime. Hoeter should also come into consideration as he is good from dummy half and great under the high ball.

I have no doubt that Richards will start the year in first grade but if this form continues (and another guy is performing in the lower grades) I really hope Taylor has the balls to drop him.

Time will tell Fergie,but he is a bit older and still getting over the injury he had last year….

I wouldn't discount him yet......

Kickers win games, teams have carried average wingers because they win them games by there boot plus Richards has massive drop outs and place kicks , if you want to improve this team start looking in the centre department, that is where all opposing coaches are planning there attack.

To me you can't compare Lawrence and Richards. Richards is a 90% goal kicker i don't think you throw that away lightly. Turning 4 into 6 is crucial. To go with his kick offs they are 2 weapons other teams don't have. We got the ball back a number of times from them, He actually won us 3-4 games last season which were really close. His goal kickinf or his kicks off proved the difference in 2 point game,

His form dipped in the last 10 rounds when he got injured and the whole team was going terrible. Half way through the season most pundits were calling for him to play origin for the unique qualities he bought to the table. When the side was firing he was one of the players of the season

I know he is slow however he is still relatively safe and decent under the high ball. The key is having a balance there, you cant have 2 slow wingers, or a slow centre and winger playing on the same side. So we need some speed inside him and some speed on the other wing. Thats where i thought Koribete with some paitence could have been a great balance.

Lawrence has not shown anything other then being a huge liability for 4 years. What are his unique qualities?? What does he bring to the table besides being a nice bloke and a good trainer??

I still think Pat can prove crucial in some close games if the team is firing. If the team is out of contention and playing like busteds half way through the year then maybe it will be time to look to the future.

@Eddie said:
Richards is a 90% goal kicker

This is the problem though. Lawrence cops it a lot worse and to me looks significantly a better all round player. I also think Lawrence is a massive concern.

I don't think we can carry players that are obviously past it. I do think Richards could win us a game or two with his kicking but his finishing will lose us a game or two at least.

@fergiefurr said:
I have no doubt that Richards will start the year in first grade but if this form continues (and another guy is performing in the lower grades) I really hope Taylor has the balls to drop him.

If Taylor had any balls he wouldn't pick him for the round 1 team.

We have lost the majority of our experienced players, and we are thinking of dropping one of the best kickers in the comp? He was out of his depth in the 9's but we were undefeated when he was in the side weren't we?

When someone better puts their hand up then they can have his spot.

@Tigersmurf said:
When someone better puts their hand up then they can have his spot.

Naiqama is obviously significantly better than him. I bet that its really easy to get another couple of players from within the club who are significantly better than him as well.

This is what the issue is. If he deserved a spot based on performance it'd be cool but that isn't the case.

I don't know how you can say Naiquama, a fringe first grade player, through out his career is significantly better play then Richards. What is this based on? Nines football?

He might be faster and stronger however will be make more errors. Will his value on the wing offer more then Richards, 90% goal kicking, kick offs, safety and decent ability offensively and defensively under the high ball. Other clubs have cast him aside Naiqama so i am not that excited yet.

I think its Richards spot to lose still, but i agree with the principal of dropping under performing players. I don't buy into the experience rubbish. I still see Richards as providing value that is all.

Each to their own, but he brings a lot to the table that others don't.

He also helped get us through to the quarters yesterday, having the smarts to take down Nagas with a try begging.

I'd be swapping Lawrence for Naiqama before dropping Richards.

Didn't see enough of Fine or Hoeter. How'd they go?

_Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0_

@fergiefurr said:

For any of our starting backs to get dropped, we'd have to be in some rosy utopia where they're all available at the same time. Are Nofo and Tedesco even in full contact training yet?

i think Pat is way too valuable to replace at this stage. We won multiple games last year that would have been lost without his boot.

Remember at the stage we played cronulla in Round 10 2014 Pat had scored more points individually than every player on the sharks team combined and was being seriously considered for origin.

He then picked up a few injuries and his form dipped but his kicking was still so valuable.

Also it was noted that we was injured over this weekend plus it was 9s so its probably not the smartest thing to try and say this is how he will play for the rest of the year.

_Posted using RoarFEED Android 1.1.7_

I simply would like Players to be held accountable for there Form or lack of it .

Players such as Lawrence should be told by the end of the year (2015) that if his form this year has been poor ?that his Contract won't be extended past 2016 , maybe that might get his Agent to speak to the Raiders or someone and a release could be granted for the 2016 Season .
Loyalty can only go so far IMO

Richards will more than likely retire at the end of the yr, so i doubt he'll care about ultimatums

Kev will play a lot of fg this yr. He'll be 2015's Blake Austin

His lack of speed is multiplied when you have blokes like Lawrence / luani /Paterson /Thompson etc in the back line with him. Sometimes through no fault of his own ( team injuries/make up) it makes it harder to carry a slow winger. Other slow wingers can make up for it with power.

_Posted using RoarFEED 4.1.5_

I think the problem is Richards and Lawrence together. Richards kicking is almost enough to justify a walk up start but his deficiencies are compounded with a struggling and slow Lawrence in the same back line. I'm not judging this opinion on the 9's but thought it for the majority of last season.

The 2 cannot play in the same starting line up.To me they are both barley 1st graders but at least Richards can kick.

@Eye Of Da Tiger said:
The 2 cannot play in the same starting line up.To me they are both barley 1st graders but at least Richards can kick.

Maybe you could get away with one plodder but two is taking it way too far.

Richards was in no way a liability last year. His finishing was strong, and whilst not the fastest,he had great positional sense. His kicking was fantastic for us. He will play this year in firsts and deservedly so.

Back