Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Regarding Nofa- I think it's a little unfair with the totally negative narrative on him. He is, at best, an average reader of the opposition when it comes to his defence. His actually tackling technique is ok, but as we note- he's almost always rushing in. That said, is his defence SIGNIFICANTLY WORSE than any other outside back at the club? No.

He is our BEST winger at running the ball back from dummy half on the early tackles. Tupou is a superior athlete, but does not consistently generate metres in those scrappy runs early in a tackle count. Nofa does. Is he as good as he once was- no. But, he's better at it than Tupou & Staines.

He isn't a liability under the high ball. Again, is he great? No. But is he the opposition target? No.

I still believe he is the most natural finisher we have in the club. If there is a try to be scored, and he's 50/50 about getting there, I'd bet on him more often than not to get the try.

His distinct 'lack of speed' was highlighted ONCE all season. There was 1 run where he was in the open & looked to be running in concrete boots (we still scored on that play, but I digress). Other than that, I don't ever remember people saying "Nofa is too slow". He's generally quick enough to get the try when offered.

My biggest critisism of Nofa is when he does the crab run. When he tucks it & runs forward, he's a perfectly fine player. When he runs sideways, he's generally holding the ball in the wrong hand to start with, but it is costly regardless. Thing is, this ISN'T his 70% run. His crab run happens 20-25% of his runs, and it seems to come in bunches. If you get that OUT of his game (and one might suspect some on field direction might help..) then his forward runs are quite effective.

If our ENTIRE outside back group can learn to defend as one unit, and if we can remove even 10% of Nofa's crab runs, I think he is a servicable to good NRL winger. His contract value, which he gets sandbagged for, isn't HIS fault. That said, I believe he gets a cap reduction now, doesn't he?
I’m off a similar opinion, without stirring up the crowd similar to brooks.

Put them in a gun team on a modest wage they are adequate.

Put them in a dud team on marquee money, more is expected of them and you understand why they cop the brunt of criticism.

How many number 14’s (utility) players do you want in your
squad ?

1.Tracey
2.Taaffe
3.Hutchison
4.Turpin
5.Salmon
6.Mann

And probably all promised to be in the starting 17 for the start of the year. 😂😂
Canterbury are imploding. They’ve signed a whole bunch of journeyman and have no front rowers. Ciraldo to go back to Penrith to his defensive coach role and leave the dogs hanging - much like Ivan.

1.Anthony Xuereb
2.Lipini Kaufusi
3.Lee Murphy
4.Peni Tagive
5. Jordan Rankin

1.Garth Wood
2.Hassan Saleh
3.Mahe Fonua
4. Nick Bradley
5. Robert Jennings

1.Shannon McDonnell
2.Ahmad Bajouri
3.Justin Yeo
4.Asa Milford
5.Ian Herron
😄😄 well done.
(Bit harsh on Mahe though.)

I actually also think that both Koroisau and Luai would have a point to prove together.

People will have done nothing but laugh at them for leaving for the bottom placed team, what better way to stick it to those people - current coaches, media types and former players, than by taking that team back to the finals and becoming universally loved by Tigers fans.

We need passionate players like Luai. Wont take a backward step to anyone.

Who is the last player that played with passion for us? I honestly can't remember.
Gareth Ellis

If Luai says he wants to sign with us, the Panthers have 10 days to try and keep him.

Would that mean the Bulldogs can still try and get him (up their bid etc)? Or they wouldn’t legally be allowed to talk to him?

I've been scrolling through this thread looking for signings with a 2 month absence. We got nothing, I'm not feeling good about 2024 whatsoever. Benji is royally out of his depth.

I’m off a similar opinion, without stirring up the crowd similar to brooks.

Put them in a gun team on a modest wage they are adequate.

Put them in a dud team on marquee money, more is expected of them and you understand why they cop the brunt of criticism.

The contract and fans expectations are the issue. I get it as well. When you hear Brooks being on 1 million and Nofo 500k you expect marquee players in those positions.

Reactions: 851
Gus has finally pulled the trigger on a Panthers star – this time away from prying cameras.

After sitting back and monitoring developments with Jarome Luai, Bulldogs general manager of football, Phil Gould, has stepped forward to hold a formal meeting with the Panthers and NSW star on Wednesday.

The big-money race for Luai has suddenly become more colourful and lively.

It is understood the meeting took place around lunchtime and could be pivotal for Wests Tigers.

Well-placed sources claim Luai now has a clearer path forward after meeting with Gould and Bulldogs head coach Cameron Ciraldo.

It was expected that Gould, given Luai is close to deciding his club from 2025, discussed contract remuneration.

Luai now knows which club has lodged the biggest offer – and it’s expected to be Wests Tigers. There is an increasing theory in rugby league that Canterbury could be more interested in Warriors prop Addin Fonua-Blake and Luai.

Unlike previous meetings with Fonua-Blake and club captain Raymond Faitala-Mariner, which were photographed on fans’ phones and made public, Gould found a private and undisclosed location to meet with Luai.

Ciraldo is known to be close to Luai, the pair having developed a strong bond while at Penrith. The Bulldogs would sign Luai at the right place but the club won’t pay ‘overs’ for the Samoan star.

Those close to Wests Tigers claim the club remains more than confident of luring Luai to Concord.

Luai wants $1.2m a year – the Tigers offer stands just above $1.1m but the club does have room to increase their deal. Wests Tigers and Canterbury are Luai’s only suitors outside current club, Penrith.

With a review of club operations due to be released, and Marshall in his first full year as a head coach, Wests Tigers are desperate to sign a big name.

One player manager suggested on Wednesday that Luai and Fonua-Blake could go as a package but it is difficult to determine which club could afford both players.

Luai met with Wests Tigers powerbrokers on Tuesday and the club has tabled an offer worth around $4.5m over four years. Penrith has offered Luai around $850,000 a season – well short of their rivals.

The Panthers hope Luai may still stay given he is a local junior now shooting for four successive premierships.

Luai, 26, will return to Panthers pre-season training toward the back-end of next week given he remains contracted to Penrith for 2024.

Under the NRL’s new contracting model, Penrith will get confirmation from the NRL about the Tigers interest once Luai gives an indication that he is ready to accept the rival offer.

The Panthers will then have 10 days to convince him to alter his decision.

It is understood negotiations have not reached that point yet, although the latest meeting between the Tigers and Luai could be seen as an indication that both sides have a genuine interest in getting a deal in place as soon as possible.

Clubs understand Luai is close to deciding his future.

He is undergoing rehabilitation for a shoulder injury that will rule him unavailable for the pre-season World Club Challenge in England.

Gus has finally pulled the trigger on a Panthers star – this time away from prying cameras.

After sitting back and monitoring developments with Jarome Luai, Bulldogs general manager of football, Phil Gould, has stepped forward to hold a formal meeting with the Panthers and NSW star on Wednesday.

The big-money race for Luai has suddenly become more colourful and lively.

It is understood the meeting took place around lunchtime and could be pivotal for Wests Tigers.

Well-placed sources claim Luai now has a clearer path forward after meeting with Gould and Bulldogs head coach Cameron Ciraldo.

It was expected that Gould, given Luai is close to deciding his club from 2025, discussed contract remuneration.

Luai now knows which club has lodged the biggest offer – and it’s expected to be Wests Tigers. There is an increasing theory in rugby league that Canterbury could be more interested in Warriors prop Addin Fonua-Blake and Luai.

Unlike previous meetings with Fonua-Blake and club captain Raymond Faitala-Mariner, which were photographed on fans’ phones and made public, Gould found a private and undisclosed location to meet with Luai.

Ciraldo is known to be close to Luai, the pair having developed a strong bond while at Penrith. The Bulldogs would sign Luai at the right place but the club won’t pay ‘overs’ for the Samoan star.

Those close to Wests Tigers claim the club remains more than confident of luring Luai to Concord.

Luai wants $1.2m a year – the Tigers offer stands just above $1.1m but the club does have room to increase their deal. Wests Tigers and Canterbury are Luai’s only suitors outside current club, Penrith.

With a review of club operations due to be released, and Marshall in his first full year as a head coach, Wests Tigers are desperate to sign a big name.

One player manager suggested on Wednesday that Luai and Fonua-Blake could go as a package but it is difficult to determine which club could afford both players.

Luai met with Wests Tigers powerbrokers on Tuesday and the club has tabled an offer worth around $4.5m over four years. Penrith has offered Luai around $850,000 a season – well short of their rivals.

The Panthers hope Luai may still stay given he is a local junior now shooting for four successive premierships.

Luai, 28, will return to Panthers pre-season training toward the back-end of next week given he remains contracted to Penrith for 2024.

Under the NRL’s new contracting model, Penrith will get confirmation from the NRL about the Tigers interest once Luai gives an indication that he is ready to accept the rival offer.

The Panthers will then have 10 days to convince him to alter his decision.

It is understood negotiations have not reached that point yet, although the latest meeting between the Tigers and Luai could be seen as an indication that both sides have a genuine interest in getting a deal in place as soon as possible.

Clubs understand Luai is close to deciding his future.

He is undergoing rehabilitation for a shoulder injury that will rule him unavailable for the pre-season World Club Challenge in England.
Luai is 26 according to google.

Only the Bulldogs can pull him away from us now by the sounds of it.

With Gould and Ciraldo's history with him, not sure I like our chances.

Though, if he is close to a decision and has only just met the Dogs, sounds like we're in favour?

Shit man at this point i’m waiting for the Bulldogs recruitment staff & Gus to come show up at my house and tell me they’ve purchased me as an indentured servant to be used as a wrestling dummy.

I've been scrolling through this thread looking for signings with a 2 month absence. We got nothing, I'm not feeling good about 2024 whatsoever. Benji is royally out of his depth.

I will look forward to COACH BENJI,
Making a heap of people eat their own words.

I find it so hard that the poor guy is getting his team organised for his first full season with this team that he is trying to put together, and all these people that gave Brooks 10 years
Of under performing are not even willing to give Benji
ONE YEAR.

Not even a pre season.
Want his scalp now.

I will look forward to COACH BENJI,
Making a heap of people eat their own words.

I find it so hard that the poor guy is getting his team organised for his first full season with this team that he is trying to put together, and all these people that gave Brooks 10 years
Of under performing are not even willing to give Benji
ONE YEAR.

Not even a pre season.
Want his scalp now.
No one wants his scalp. However some are concerned that he served no apprenticeship. Seems more than fair.

Latest posts

Members online

Back