Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Furner joins coaching staff​

Wests Tigers is pleased to announce the addition of David Furner to the club’s coaching team.

furner_sheens_centre_excellence.png.jpeg

Furner brings with him 25 years of NRL experience, as both a player and coach. The former Kangaroos and NSW Origin forward played 200 games over nine seasons with Canberra, and a further 100 games in the English Super League, before transitioning into coaching.

Furner was appointed as the Raiders’ head coach in 2009, and has been an assistant coach at several NRL clubs in recent years, including his most recent club Canterbury Bulldogs. He also played a key role in the premiership-winning coaching team at North Queensland Cowboys in 2015.

Incoming Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens says Furner will be an asset to the club.

“I’ve known David for a very long time, and I know that he is not only a quality person but has an extremely sharp football mind,” said Sheens.
Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 4.27.44 pm.png

"Like Benji and Robbie, David knows what success looks like, and I’m confident he will be a major asset to this club.”

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe is equally excited about Furner joining the club.

“We welcome David and his family to Wests Tigers and look forward to his contribution to our organisation over the coming years,” said Pascoe.

Furner was today given a full tour of the club’s new Centre of Excellence at Concord.

“This place is incredible and I can’t wait to get started," said Furner.

“I’m looking forward to working with Tim and the team and a great group of people. It’s a wonderful opportunity.”

Players will return for pre-season training in early November.
Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 4.28.25 pm.png

Talented junior, returning to his junior club.
In a position we don't have much depth in.

21 and ready to make an impact.
Rather him, some one that wants to be here than some weak blow ins.
Agree with you @Demps this kid seems to cop a bit of flack but he’s going to give it a red hot crack, a kid who loves the tigers and will turn up every week regardless if they get flogged. Played as a junior at Holy cross rhinos and went to AFL but the Tigers seem to want him back and I guarantee he’ll be loyal to his club and turn up for them and his teammates every week

Jacob Liddle will be released to the Dragons in the next week. Paperwork with the NRL. Club not paying a cent for him in 2023.
I'm sad to see him go and wish him all the best. He deserves a change of fortune. I always thought he'd be our long term hooker. The Dragons have done well and we also have done well not to have to contribute to his contract.

Weve got plenty of departures. Have we actually signed anyone ?Why ?
We are constantly clutching at straws jumping at every half rumour .
Bateman , so called pommy forwards , Benji sent Munster a text a while ago
Wow a lot of conversation adding up to nothing .
Wish they would address the root causes of recruiting difficulties .I'm aware we can try for a few stars in Nov for 2024 but not sure what is going to change to make us an appealing destination between now and Nov
Oh well its the off season so I guess discussing the NFL makes sense ??

I'm sad to see him go and wish him all the best. He deserves a change of fortune. I always thought he'd be our long term hooker. The Dragons have done well and we also have done well not to have to contribute to his contract.

Same paws..Always had a soft
Spot for Lidz. Had so much pressure on him during the Ballin/
Farah days coming up and got dealt a wicked hand with all his injuries. Great family too. Kept showing up, got nothing but love and respect for him and I hope he Kills it for St George. good luck

Jacob Liddle will be released to the Dragons in the next week. Paperwork with the NRL. Club not paying a cent for him in 2023.
Do you know the 2 x poms are we have been linked to by Paul Kent? John Bateman?

Is Charlie Staines or Spencer Leinu a chance?

Back