Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Moses will be 29 when he joins us in 24 and 33 when he completes his contract. It would be a huge hit to the Tigers cap and reduce our ability to sign other players and this is not factoring in the strong possibility of injuries in his senior years. Sorry, but if he doesn't immediately accept our offer, stating that he looks forward to returning to the Tigers and working with Benji then we need to pull the offer again

I don't reckon he is coming anyway and I'm cool with it.

Unfortunately that's not how it works. You can't just be the highest bidder and that be the end of it.
Clearly that's not how it works. But clubs continually not having to pay market value for a player makes a mockery of the salary cap. Especially when it's the only metric used to spread a very shallow pool of talent across the league.

You'll have to remind me what season that was when Wests Tigers signed a real top-tier talent from another Australian club.
It was the Adam Blair signing in 2012 (and what a failure that was). I think Koraisau and Papalii are both top tier but I'm assuming, Jirskyr, you are alluding to before this off season or, even, elite talent (Blair, Koraisau, Papalli and, even Moses are not elite) The only really elite talent I can recall was Ellery Hanley but he was from overseas and it was Balmain, not Wests Tigers.
The fact of the matter is that the Wests Tigers have never been able to sign top tier talent, rather all our top players have come from within. We have not been able to attract these players, because, since the inception of the Wests Tigers, the club has been perceived as a basket case in terms of management, coaching and training facilities. It's up us to change that perception if we want to be taken more seriously.
Hopefully, signing an old hard head like Sheens is the first step in building credibility. We can already see that with the establishment of clear pathways and a more measured recruitment strategy. In the circumstances, the signing of Koraisau and Papalii can be considered some kind of miracle!

33!

I was thinking 32 and he would be pretty old.

Brooks has good physical fitness but with both halves at that age it becomes telling.

2023/24 will be his better playing years. Benji comes on and gets two older players as his halves pair who .... NEVER GELLED WHEN PLAYING HERE!

Why are we reuniting the worst halves pairing our club has had?
That's a good point Crazycat. Admittedly they were much younger, inexperienced and playing behind a feeble pack, blah, blah....but, the fact of the matter is, they didn't gel, whether good mates or not. If Moses signs (and, increasingly, I hope he doesn't) it then creates the conundrum of who partners him. Brooks - the jury's out. Douehi - too much of a ball hog. Laurie - maybe but untested in the position.

Nah mate, the three Harold Matt's boys are still there; that list is from the club website too.

I'm sure there'll be pics soon enough, but I know for a fact that Laulilii, Da Silva and Miller are all still training with first grade, even after Christmas break (those that have watched training recently can attest).

Then, they're all scheduled to play SG Ball, once that comp starts in February.

All three of them are only 17, so they must be impressing.
Jordan Miller was definitely there yesterday...on Daine Laurie's instagram.

It was the Adam Blair signing in 2012 (and what a failure that was). I think Koraisau and Papalii are both top tier but I'm assuming, Jirskyr, you are alluding to before this off season or, even, elite talent (Blair, Koraisau, Papalli and, even Moses are not elite) The only really elite talent I can recall was Ellery Hanley but he was from overseas and it was Balmain, not Wests Tigers.
The fact of the matter is that the Wests Tigers have never been able to sign top tier talent, rather all our top players have come from within. We have not been able to attract these players, because, since the inception of the Wests Tigers, the club has been perceived as a basket case in terms of management, coaching and training facilities. It's up us to change that perception if we want to be taken more seriously.
Hopefully, signing an old hard head like Sheens is the first step in building credibility. We can already see that with the establishment of clear pathways and a more measured recruitment strategy. In the circumstances, the signing of Koraisau and Papalii can be considered some kind of miracle!

2012 was definitely a stinker year.

Most of us would not remember in detail how the season panned out.

I was watching a game recently and the squad looked unbalanced and not very strong particularly the forward pack.

Losing tedesco didn't help but I think there was a lot of movement in the pack which could be the main reason for the demise.

KR, mate , i'm confused by train and trial, development players, and the top 30'.
Who can play 1st gde this year, who can play mid year? Can you please explain to dummies like me, how it works ?
Top 30 can play from Round 1 all year. Development players train full time with the top 30 but cannot play first grade until Round 10 or 12 its one of them. Train and trial players can’t be selected until the same Round 10-12 but I don’t think they train all year with the 30 unless they are seen in the clubs long term plans, or depending on their age.

Clearly that's not how it works. But clubs continually not having to pay market value for a player makes a mockery of the salary cap. Especially when it's the only metric used to spread a very shallow pool of talent across the league.
And, sorry to be negative, but this brings me to another one of my big issues with the game at the moment. I mentioned player entitlement before (players who demand particular positions) but, probably, my biggest reservation, suspicion, frustration and, in the end, HATE, is of the salary cap. It's one thing that the weaker clubs have to pay way overs to secure any of the decent players (that's to be expected as these clubs need to balance their unattractiveness with more cash) but, the fact that the strong clubs (and one in particular) are able to rort the cap by with TPAs and dishonest salary disclosures is a real damnation of the game. Surely, someone in the NRL administration can show some balls and, finally, do something about it!!
By the way these are the aspects of the game that I believe are killing it at the moment, in no particular order;
*Rorting of salary cap
*Inconsistent implementation of salary cap penalties (the Farah ambassador role fiasco)
*Inconsistent and biased refereeing decisions
*Willy willy-nilly nature of 6 again calls
*Inconsistent judiciary decisions that smack of club/ player favouritism
Yes, I'm saying there's corruption in the game.
*The wrestle (and constant holding down, shoving in the play the ball)
*The endless bombs and equal points reward for a lucky try from a kick as compared to try scored through the hands.
*knock-ons that are clearly not knock-ons
*Fullbacks forced into the in goal after a brave and skilful take of a bomb.
*3 or 4 players ganging up to drag a player over the sideline.
Yes, I'm saying the game sometimes lacks basic fairness.
*Unwillingness of the administrators to do anything about much of the above
*other areas I have not thought of
Once again, apologies for my negativity and I realise that my diatribe should probably be on another thread....should I start one moderators? I've needed to get this all off my chest for some time and I'm sure I speak for others when I say that the game could be so much better, especially if it wants to keep all its loyal fans.
Having said all this, I obviously still enjoy the game and I definitely love the Wests Tigers.........unreservedly!

I
If he is only 17 getting him to train full time with first grade isn’t the best idea. Sure let him train a few weeks here and there with them but a full nrl pre season at the age of 17 is a hell of a lot to ask of a young lad
Brad fitter was a kangaroo at this age

Reactions: 851
Spoke to my source yesterday who works in membership who also told me about the Moses and Tedesco pursuit - knowing the upcoming Sualili and Manu fiasco that’s about to come (really good strike rate)

He told me anyone who says they know what Moses is doing is looking for attention, Moses still hasn’t decided or verbally told anyone he’d be rejecting/accepting their offer AS OF YET

Smart management by Isaac Moses - last week has been all about collecting final offers from both Wests Tigers and Bulldogs in which he’ll then sit down with Parra sometime this week and give them the chance to have final pitch and hoping for a slight upgrade as well (confirmed by reports too) and then sit down with family and discuss what’s best etc he feels no rush as of yet but wants it done before the start of the season for sure

Lately the club have been feeling as if Isaac Moses has been overstating the interest from their side and understating the interest to remain at Parra in order to make the tigers come to the party more with a quite significant offer and make Parra feel as if he’ll actually leave in order to get them to raise the $ in the Wests Tigers region..... this is just an inkling around the club and nothing stated or confirmed just to clarify - as the club have been given indication MM is leaning towards us, also helps we’re offering the most money (didn’t tell me figures)

Club went from confident to unsure, we’ll probs get a decision towards the end of this week or next week but no one knows what’s happening just yet...... we’re still a chance but if I was a betting man, I’d probs say he’ll be an eel
Gosh, if it’s this late in the day and he’s urging Eels to increase their offer slightly, you’d have to think that’s all they need to do to keep him? Maybe Eels secretly don’t want him for what they perceive as overs? Surely they have mates at Fox or Telstra can draw up a tpa?

Reactions: 851
In case it has not yet been mentioned. On Talkin Sport this morning someone mentioned a possible swap Cobbo and Kenny. Would be a great move though don’t see it happening. On principle and club values if Brisbane have any it should! Otherwise Kevie is gone!
Imagine that...

That would be unreal 🔥🔥

If those figures are accurate then the Tigers number is plain bad business. Moses will be 29 when he joins us in 24 and 33 when he completes his contract. It would be a huge hit to the Tigers cap and reduce our ability to sign other players and this is not factoring in the strong possibility of injuries in his senior years. Sorry, but if he doesn't immediately accept our offer, stating that he looks forward to returning to the Tigers and working with Benji then we need to pull the offer again. Stuff him, why should we help him to satisfy his own narcissistic, money hungry goals? By shutting the door, we are telling the league that we won't be played any more.
Players can age so fast these days...We signed Klemmer when he was 28, he’s now 29 and he’ll be 30 this year 😲

Speaking of Tim.

Remember how he always asked he wingers to to do the kick returns?

I was watching the 2009 parra v tigers match and he did a blatantly obvious one to Taniela Tuiaki the same run he did his ankle. If we had a proper fullback that takes the run as it's the fullback job taniela doesn't get the injury.
If I remember that tackle, I think it was possibly the first time we saw the hip drop in action - Mannah on Taniela. I was at the game, but way too many beers for a clear recollection. My apologies to Tim Mannah if this was wrong, but I would love to see the tackle again.

In case it has not yet been mentioned. On Talkin Sport this morning someone mentioned a possible swap Cobbo and Kenny. Would be a great move though don’t see it happening. On principle and club values if Brisbane have any it should! Otherwise Kevie is gone!
Who said that?

33!

I was thinking 32 and he would be pretty old.

Brooks has good physical fitness but with both halves at that age it becomes telling.

2023/24 will be his better playing years. Benji comes on and gets two older players as his halves pair who .... NEVER GELLED WHEN PLAYING HERE!

Why are we reuniting the worst halves pairing our club has had?
It’s in the job specs, a massive injection of DNA. Is it possible that a strong focus on staying in a narrow lane can hide the negatives.?

Latest posts

Members online

Back