Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

To be fair, even the strongest clubs have players on Top 30 deals who are not first-grade quality/don't have much or any upside.

Sometimes they're just decisions based on potential or promise that don't come off.
Maybe the odd one but they rarely find their way into the 17 at good clubs.

It is pretty well accepted defence in the centres is harder and split second decisions need to be made. Some were great at it, such as Ettinghausen, others like Best despite having played SOO are continually beaten on the outside. Kepaoa unfortunately cannot do it but that doesn't mean he cannot be a useful player closer into the middle.
Not sure how the Best is constantly beaten on the outside narrative has become so popular recently. I haven't seen it.

Not sure how the Best is constantly beaten on the outside narrative has become so popular recently. I haven't seen it.
I've seen it quite a few times and quite a few times it lead to tries. Toa beat him in one of our games against the Knights. I am not a fan.

I still think, of all our wing options, Kepaoa is the most PHYSICALLY perfect we have.

Good size, strength & decent speed. I think he & Tupou are quite similar.

His hands are weird. It has to be a concentration thing because sometimes he's perfectly fine.

I would argue that he has a better leap/catch than Tupou with about as much success rate or better on making the catch. For all his obvious talent, Tupou has suspect hands under a bomb.

I know this will likely be the sentence that gets pinpointed- but compared to say, Nofa or Tupou, how much worse is Kepaoa's defence in reality? What I WILL say in his defence- he puts on the cleanest hit of the three.

This is text book Pascoe. Could have agreed to terms with Bennett for 2020 and made Ivan stay for 2019.. recruitment would've been easy as you were selling Bennett as a Coach for 2020.
Instead he took Ivan wanting to leave too personally and appointed Madge, and we've struggled since.
Pascoe has no NRL nous.
Pascoe was too busy crying over the fact that his friend betrayed him. Let his personal feelings get in the way of making a good business decision. Poor moves from a CEO.

Luai
AFB
Olakau’atu
Olam or a fixed Doueihi to play a roaming centre roll (my preferred option)

All that for 2025 and we make top 4, very low chance of if all coming into fruition. But a chance is a chance. Klemmer, sezer, Papalii making way.
The tigers are always doing Club rebuilds and 5 year plans.

Not 1 plan followed for 5 years. 5 plans followed for less then a year each.

We would be lucky to nab 1, maybe 2 of those names above. Meanwhile:

Klemmer will be aggitated and less willing to perform.
Papalii/Bateman will see what is happening and may dip as well.

Sezer/Sullivan/Fainu will all be looking out for their positions, thinking that they are disposable.

We actually need to have a plan for team development. Us reaching out for a Star, ANY STAR and just bidding like this will wreck our team again for 2024

I am describing a player who fills out the 30. Most clubs unless you are the Broncos or similar standard will have players of this calibre filling out the squad.
But he didn't just full out our 30. He was in our top 17!!!!!!!!!

Tuki, Lomi Saukuru, Tumeth she Ngati filled out our squad.... And that shows how weak the squad was, if kepaoa is indeed no 30 and not playing any first grade and on 120k then that would be different, still a wasted spot, but more defendable

The second rowers were always the best defenders in my experience, not somewhere to hide. Not surprisingly Luciano is being shopped again.
Not surprised he is being shopped, if that is the case. Payten just would not accept his low level of commitment in defence. I watched a couple of Cowboys games and Luciano ran hard in attack, but his laziness in defence was obvious.

Just like those saying they can't understand how anyone sees something in Kapeoa, I can't understand how you can't at least see something. Tom Shines questioned if we even watch, well I dare say he must not watch if he can't see anything. He even said AJ can't pass, when in actual fact he has proved to be one of the better players in the team at skipping to the outside and slipping a ball the an unmarked man.

No doubt AJ frustrated us last year, he fell short in parts of his game that are crucial to centre and wing play. But the athleticism and aggression he showed playing backrow for the first time was impressive IMO and at least showed "something" to work with. Especially when we are very short on for backrowers and it's very handy to have one that can fill in out wide if injury hits during a game.

If we play him at centre or wing in 24 then I share the concerns, but if he concentrates on backrow, I think he will be a decent first grader that comes in handy.

Just like those saying they can't understand how anyone sees something in Kapeoa, I can't understand how you can't at least see something. Tom Shines questioned if we even watch, well I dare say he must not watch if he can't see anything. He even said AJ can't pass, when in actual fact he has proved to be one of the better players in the team at skipping to the outside and slipping a ball the an unmarked man.

No doubt AJ frustrated us last year, he fell short in parts of his game that are crucial to centre and wing play. But the athleticism and aggression he showed playing backrow for the first time was impressive IMO and at least showed "something" to work with. Especially when we are very short on for backrowers and it's very handy to have one that can fill in out wide if injury hits during a game.

If we play him at centre or wing in 24 then I share the concerns, but if he concentrates on backrow, I think he will be a decent first grader that comes in handy.
His hands are his biggest issue, physicality isn't.

I don't get the love for our outside backs. I'd happily replace all of them in our top 30. Yep, every single one of them. Sure, we can find some positives, but none of them are quality. Jnr has the most upside, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if he went back to Canberra.

I don't get the love for our outside backs. I'd happily replace all of them in our top 30. Yep, every single one of them. Sure, we can find some positives, but none of them are quality. Jnr has the most upside, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if he went back to Canberra.
Except Bula though right?

Latest posts

Back