Simona on the move

@palms said:
Re-Read the post again, the poster was talking about a front ended contract which is the total opposite to what you are talking about and pays the extra money from this years cap, not from the cap in 2019 for example meaning less comes out in subsequent years.

I am fairly sure front loading was banned a few years ago unless you are the broncos(sarcasm).Am happy to stand corrected if front loading is still ok.

@goldcoast tiger said:
@2041 said:
@marzie said:
@Hbom said:
I thought you couldn't register a contract with the nrl unless you were under the cap. How then was Idris signed?

It doesn't make sense. Unless tigers are trying to clear cap space incase we want to pick someone up mid season like ET last year. We do need $120k-$140k of cap room for Jamals match payments incase he plays the full season but surely that would already have been a consideration when signing him.

Bear in mind this rumour is coming from the Mole…

One card the Tigers have up their sleeve with the off contract players is the - theoretical - ability to renew their contracts as of now. Say we don't want to pay Tedesco a million bucks a year out of the cap for the four after 2017, well we could offer him a new contract starting now that pays him $900k a year for the four after 2017 and also ups his 2017 salary by $400k.

So it's possible the club is trying to be clever with this year's cap to effectively front load a deal or deals. If that's true better get used to it, because as I said in my previous post if we're paying market rate to Tedesco, Moses, Brooks and Woods there won't be much left to put anything useful around them.

2041, Do you honestly believe that any player would be prepared to sign a backended contract with this club?
Anyway aren't they going to be banned or something?

It's not a back-ended contract, though.

Let's say Tedesco has been offered four years at a million per by the Roosters starting in 2018, and that his Tigers contract is $500,000 for 2017\. If he takes the Roosters' offer he'd make $4.5m for 2017-2021\. Obviously these numbers are just for the sake of the example.

The Tigers can match that offer without going to a million dollars a year for 2018-2021, by offering Tedesco a new five-year deal starting now, for $900,000 a year. That's still $4.5m for 2017-2021, it just spreads it out over five years rather than four. It's not backloaded in any way and it gives the Tigers a bit more flexibility from 2018\. Meanwhile Tedesco gets paid earlier and still makes the same total.

A win-win… but only if the Tigers can find cap room to up Tedesco from $500,000 to $900,000 in 2017\. I'm just speculating, but this would be one way of explaining why there are rumours coming out about the Tigers having to shed cap room for 2017 despite there being no additions to the squad in the past couple of months.

The WTs did this with Benji in November 2005 .
Was contracted for 2006 but he was upgraded & extended to 2008 .
http://www.abc.net.au/cgi-bin/common/printfriendly.pl?http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200511/s1504901.htm

I think we were something like 800k under the cap when we won in 2005 . So the club spent that money before the end of November.

@jadtiger said:
@palms said:
Re-Read the post again, the poster was talking about a front ended contract which is the total opposite to what you are talking about and pays the extra money from this years cap, not from the cap in 2019 for example meaning less comes out in subsequent years.

I am fairly sure front loading was banned a few years ago unless you are the broncos(sarcasm).Am happy to stand corrected if front loading is still ok.

Front ended contracts were the Roosters go

The Broncos just have TPA's coming out of their TPA's

Easy fix is to stick a side in SEQ , break their dominance

I'm looking over the Sunny Coast oval now from work with the Eastern Hill almost finished for the Melbourne vs Warriors trial. You'd pack the 10,000 capacity out here every match

@happy tiger said:
@jadtiger said:
@palms said:

The broncs would try to destroy any new side there as they did to the crushers.They are the most disgusting club in the NRL bar none.I dislike parra with a passion but they dont disgust me like the broncs do.

@Telltails said:
If we have to offload a quality player from our roster this year - to resolve a salary cap problem and or to prop another players salary - compared to the rosters being fielded by most other teams…..well at the risk of upsetting those who keep banging on about the great work being done by the current administration - absolute joke.

Spot on, this current mob have upgraded a heap of contracts in their tenure as well as add a few others, but we don't know if the Simona story is true or not.

@851 said:
@Telltails said:
If we have to offload a quality player from our roster this year - to resolve a salary cap problem and or to prop another players salary - compared to the rosters being fielded by most other teams…..well at the risk of upsetting those who keep banging on about the great work being done by the current administration - absolute joke.

Spot on, this current mob have upgraded a heap of contracts in their tenure as well as add a few others, but we don't know if the Simona story is true or not.

From where I sit they have been trying to shop a player for months but either they are not getting a nibble or the players they have targeted have dug there heels in. If you believe the grape vine, Nagamia and Lovett were shopped around and now Simonia. I just can't see how our current roster plus farah is over the cap. So they either have a player in mind they want to sign for 2017 or its all about the big four contract negotiations, Although what ever it is, its a bad look for the club

@jadtiger said:
@happy tiger said:
@jadtiger said:
@palms said:

The broncs would try to destroy any new side there as they did to the crushers.They are the most disgusting club in the NRL bar none.I dislike parra with a passion but they dont disgust me like the broncs do.

Wait until the Warriors get some back to back results and become a NRL powerhouse , they will make what the Broncos do look like chicken feed

@happy tiger said:
@jadtiger said:
@happy tiger said:
@jadtiger said:

Wait until the Warriors get some back to back results and become a NRL powerhouse , they will make what the Broncos do look like chicken feed

The Broncos just do what they are able to do and that is have a monopoly over TPA's in the region. Bring on the Brisbane Bombers but they'll need to be backed by someone with very deep pockets.

If anyone wants to Google Ken Talbot and read about his brown paper bags at the Broncos.
He was going to spill the beans due to a fall out with the Broncos management, but was unfortunately killed in a plane crash in Africa.
It would have been great to see the Broncos caught out, but then again team!!!

So the Titans to make an offer for Simona - of course they are because we will be propping up his salary this year and the man can play.

@formerguest said:
@Telltails said:
So the Titans to make an offer for Simona - of course they are because we will be propping up his salary this year and the man can play.

Tell us some more?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-market-watch-titans-keen-on-tigers-gun-tim-simona-sharks-winger-sosaia-feki-to-resign/news-story/c85d3332864038fb86b2f19d3041ff79

TITANS EYE TIGERS GUN - IMMEDIATELY

The Gold Coast are ready to pounce on Samoan international Tim Simona.

The Titans have emerged as a possible saviour for the Wests Tigers’ salary cap concerns and are ready to make a play for the 25-year-old centre, who has been shopped around in recent weeks.

The Tigers reportedly need to shed a player before the start of the season and Market Watch can reveal Neil Henry is ready to strike.

With a vacancy for an outside back in their top squad, the Titans have been in talks with Roosters back Dale Copley and while the door hasn’t closed on the former Bronco, Simona has emerged as their first choice.

On a deal worth around $300,000 a season at the Tigers, the Titans are exploring several scenarios which would see him make a move.

They range from offering him an extra one to two seasons which could see him at the club until the end of 2019.

The Tigers would however need to contribute to his salary this season.

The 25-year-old is off contract with the Tigers at the end of 2017.

With new recruit Dan Sarginson able to play a host of positions in the backline, it’s understood Simona would slot into the centres with Konrad Hurrell.

If a deal can’t be struck, look for them to continue talks with Copley, who is on around $400,000-a-season at the Roosters.

Copley still has two years to run on his deal but has been given permission to negotiate with other clubs.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-market-watch-titans-keen-on-tigers-gun-tim-simona-sharks-winger-sosaia-feki-to-resign/news-story/c85d3332864038fb86b2f19d3041ff79

@formerguest said:
@Telltails said:

Tell us some more?

Apparently the Titans have a backline void and are very keen on taking Simona on board…
He has been shopped around by the WTs and this could be the clincher......

@pdenny77 said:
The Broncos just do what they are able to do and that is have a monopoly over TPA's in the region. Bring on the Brisbane Bombers but they'll need to be backed by someone with very deep pockets.

They are… 3 Ex Powerbrokers from the Broncos and the QRL

On Timsim, the Titans havnt missed out on anyone they have wanted in the past 12 months?!

I would love to see a table of the amount of money clubs have contributed to the salaries of players plying their trade elsewhere in the past, say, five years.

Latest posts

Back