Wests Tigers incensed over Ryan James charge for James Tedesco hit

Justice should afford fairness.
But here, the assailant has received his measure of fairness, whilst the unprotected player sits in hospital.
The match committee and the judiciary are simply out of touch, and incapable of consistently fair appraisals.

Imagine if Bob Cooper or Les Boyd played today. Run around like lunatics one week and be right to play the week after.

Would bring the crowds back.

RYAN James has been found found guilty of a careless high tackle that broke James Tedesco’s jaw, but he will be free to play this weekend after a bizarre intervention by one of the NRL’s judiciary panel members.

Gold Coast skipper James was found guilty on Wednesday evening of a grade two careless high tackle, which initially ruled him out of Saturday’s clash with the Knights in Newcastle.

But judiciary panel member Royce Ayliffe took it upon himself to speak up after the guilty verdict was handed down, telling James’ defence team: “Hang on, he’s only been found guilty.’’

That prompted James’ lawyer Jim Hall, a former judiciary boss, to request the charge be reduced to a grade one, which meant 90 carry-over points and no suspension.

Hall initially implied he was unaware seeking a downgrade was a viable option.

It then took just five minutes for Ayliffe and fellow panel members Chris McKenna and Mal Cochrane to allow one of the most penalised forwards in the NRL to have his charge downgraded.

Tedesco has been left with four plates inserted into his jaw as the Wests Tigers’ finals hopes hang by a thread following their 19-18 loss to the Titans last week.

Social media went into meltdown given James is free to play, yet only a fortnight earlier St George Illawarra’s Tyson Frizell copped a one-match ban for brushing past a referee.

Judiciary chairman Geoff Bellew told the panel to ignore the fact Tedesco had broken his jaw when deciding whether to find James guilty.

“Disregard any medical evidence given to you. The only issue for you is whether or not the tackle was careless,’’ Bellew said.

But when it came to grading, the seriousness of Tedesco’s injury was taken into account.

Coach Neil Henry, who flew from the Gold Coast to Sydney to support his skipper, said: “We came down here thinking the speed of which (the incident) happened, it wasn’t a careless action by Ryan.

“The judiciary thought it was on the lower end of carelessness, they took into account how fast the action happened, and how James Tedesco was dropping. We’ve been able to get a downgrade. There was no malice or intent.’’

Tedesco, who is recovering after surgery, was forced from the field on the hour mark during Saturday’s heartbreaking loss to the Titans at a packed Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

NRL counsel Peter McGrath said the tackle was avoidable, and James had enough time to make a safe tackle without any contact to his jaw. He argued James also took his eyes off Tedesco before he made contact.

Hall said the tackle was “accidental’’, and there was nothing else James could have done.

“There is no swinging arm, his fist is not clenched, Ryan James moves into the tackle bent forward with his hands out in front, ready to catch and hold,’’ Hall said.

“James Tedesco catches the ball in an upright position, and in less than a quarter of a second the tackle is completed.

“It was accidental, not careless. The game is played at speed, and you would all know it is impossible to change a tackle in less than a quarter of a second, a third of a second, even half a second.

“You should ask yourselves what else Ryan James could have done to avoid making contact with the head.’’

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/teams/titans/nrl-judiciary-blog-ryan-james-to-learn-his-fate-over-james-tedesco-hit/news-story/1ecd084fa31c6d59b1b523dbd1657766

Wow! You'd think with all the media uproar about this over the past few days they would've at least made the original charge stick. Talk about a slap in the face for Tedesco and his family.

we should put up a high ball and take Moylans head off clean

Funny that TYGA I had just written and withdrawn something very similar. But its not the fault of the Panthers. Its just BS

Technically James and the panel that downgraded the charge are paid by the same employer. I think the term conflict of interest is a phrase Mr Greenberg has no concept of

How do they appoint the judiciary ??
How many years since Royce Ayliffe played the game or Mal Cochrane ??
They are out of touch and should be replaced.

http://www.nrl.com/bizarre-scenes-as-james-avoids-nrl-ban/tabid/10874/newsid/100368/default.aspx

Bizarre scenes as James avoids NRL ban

Wed 17 Aug, 2016, 7:25pm
By James MacSmith, AAP
EMAIL PRINT
Ryan James was found not guilty at the NRL judiciary and will be free to play this week. Credit: Charles Knight. Copyright: NRL Photos.
Gold Coast forward Ryan James has been found guilty of a high tackle on Wests Tigers fullback James Tedesco, but has escaped suspension after successfully arguing for a downgrade.

In bizarre scenes on Wednesday night at the NRL judiciary at Rugby League Central, James was found guilty of a grade-two careless high tackle which broke Tedesco's jaw in the Titans' win on Saturday at Campbelltown.

However, James' defence counsel Jim Hall then argued for a downgrade, but only after the prompting of panel member Royce Ayliffe.

"Hang on - we have only found him guilty," Ayliffe said after the verdict was read out by fellow panel member Mal Cochrane.

The panel of Ayliffe, Cochrane and Chris McKenna then promptly awarded the downgrade, meaning James is free to play in the Titans' round-24 clash with Newcastle on Saturday at Hunter Stadium.

James, who is one of the NRL's most-penalised players, has 90 carryover points to contend with.

Titans coach Neil Henry, who sat next to James throughout the hearing, spoke on behalf of his prop after the hearing.

"We came down here, thinking the speed at which it happened (meant) it wasn't a careless action by Ryan," Henry said.

"The judiciary said it was on the lower end of carelessness. They took into account how fast the action happened and the fact Tedesco was dropping.

"We had a fair hearing. We're disappointed in one regard. But the speed these things can happen at in the game means there was no malice on Ryan's behalf."

In giving evidence, James said he didn't have time to adjust to Tedesco "dropping in the tackle".

"I was running and trying to catch him in the tackle and run him back a little further," James said.

"I dropped my body level … I couldn't have done anything else to avoid collision."

However, James said he did take his eyes off Tedesco just before impact.

Judiciary prosecutor Peter McGrath seized on that as an admission of carelessness.

"In the context of a rugby league game player, Tedesco did not drop dramatically," he said.

"Taking his eyes off player Tedesco is where the carelessness lies.

"Player James did not show the special duty of care required to avoid contact with the head.

"The contact was not accidental. It was not unavoidable."

Defence counsel Jim Hall said the contact was accidental.

"I would suggest player James didn't have the time to change his tackle after player Tedesco turned and dropped."

@foreveratiger said:
http://www.nrl.com/bizarre-scenes-as-james-avoids-nrl-ban/tabid/10874/newsid/100368/default.aspx

Wed 17 Aug, 2016, 7:25pm
By James MacSmith, AAP
EMAIL PRINT
Ryan James was found not guilty at the NRL judiciary and will be free to play this week. Credit: Charles Knight. Copyright: NRL Photos.
Gold Coast forward Ryan James has been found guilty of a high tackle on Wests Tigers fullback James Tedesco, but has escaped suspension after successfully arguing for a downgrade.

In bizarre scenes on Wednesday night at the NRL judiciary at Rugby League Central, James was found guilty of a grade-two careless high tackle which broke Tedesco's jaw in the Titans' win on Saturday at Campbelltown.

However, James' defence counsel Jim Hall then argued for a downgrade, but only after the prompting of panel member Royce Ayliffe.

"Hang on - we have only found him guilty," Ayliffe said after the verdict was read out by fellow panel member Mal Cochrane.

The panel of Ayliffe, Cochrane and Chris McKenna then promptly awarded the downgrade, meaning James is free to play in the Titans' round-24 clash with Newcastle on Saturday at Hunter Stadium.

James, who is one of the NRL's most-penalised players, has 90 carryover points to contend with.

Titans coach Neil Henry, who sat next to James throughout the hearing, spoke on behalf of his prop after the hearing.

"We came down here, thinking the speed at which it happened (meant) it wasn't a careless action by Ryan," Henry said.

"The judiciary said it was on the lower end of carelessness. They took into account how fast the action happened and the fact Tedesco was dropping.

"We had a fair hearing. We're disappointed in one regard. But the speed these things can happen at in the game means there was no malice on Ryan's behalf."

In giving evidence, James said he didn't have time to adjust to Tedesco "dropping in the tackle".

"I was running and trying to catch him in the tackle and run him back a little further," James said.

"I dropped my body level … I couldn't have done anything else to avoid collision."

However, James said he did take his eyes off Tedesco just before impact.

Judiciary prosecutor Peter McGrath seized on that as an admission of carelessness.

"In the context of a rugby league game player, Tedesco did not drop dramatically," he said.

"Taking his eyes off player Tedesco is where the carelessness lies.

"Player James did not show the special duty of care required to avoid contact with the head.

"The contact was not accidental. It was not unavoidable."

Defence counsel Jim Hall said the contact was accidental.

"I would suggest player James didn't have the time to change his tackle after player Tedesco turned and dropped."

What a load of crap !
Tedesco dropped cause he knew he was about to get belted ….
And still got belted !

And my arm was outstretched and swinging cause I was actually skipping, like a lot of the princesses in fairytales

A lot of issues in this game unfortunately. We can only just get on with it I guess & pump the panthers on Fri night!

Back