Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Lachlan Galvin is a good player
but lets not get carried away he was kept out of his rep position by Latu, who imo has the much higher ceiling

galvin reminds me of burton/wighton he will have a good career but it will be in the centers or second row

luai is a three time premiership winner a proven leader amongst young polynesian men who make up the majority of our team

we should be doing everything to get him
You have pretty good oil.

What’s the plan then with Luai, sullivan, latu and Galvin?

How does that work for the next 4 years?

Totally agree losing Galvin would be a disaster he’s the same age as Fainu and a better player, Galvin can organise, kick and run the kid is the total package. Would be the perfect half for Luai but once again we have spent big bucks on Sullivan and Fainu. If this was any other commercial entity the financial management they show is mind blowingly amateur. Paying out mistakes has been accepted as fail safe measure by this board. Now the liklehood of paying out Klemmer and Fulton is about to happen but it’s ok it’s only a couple of million bucks, no problemo.
Come ON! You think we couldn’t play Latu at lock or in the centres as well as Galvin in the centres? You need 17 good players to,win a premiership,, as well as depth as good as the 17 starters.. they all need competition.. saying we already have 1 good potential half so,we have made a massive error in signing another is massively short sighted .. having a group of super talented 18-21 year olds all come playing under a coach that they look up to and respect is a recipe for a potential TEAM of players that play for each other and the Jersey they represent.. if Benji can manage this correctly and they all play to their potential then we can have a big future .. I am starting to be excited. I want to see what happens .. it feels good to have a bit of faith in Benjis vision for the club,, his heart seems to be 110% a Tiger

Klemmer and a gamble on a youngster still to make first grade for Luai seems like a decent no brainer swap to me.

Idk what is too difficult about that decision.

We are all complaining about having shit halves .. So bite the bullet and make it fkn happen. Do we want to get the club moving or what ? Do we want to finally have good halves .. , or still just stay in a rut.
If Klemmer is gone who are your run on front rowers? And who are your back up front rowers?
Luai would be lucky to see the ball, and get smashed when he did. A nonsense idea IMO.

Galvin to centre or lock
latu to 6
luai to 7
sullivan to 14.
I don’t think there’s anyway we can keep bula, TDS, Api, Galvin, Luai, sullivan and fainu for the next 3 years if we sign Luai for $1.1.

Have to give up at least sullivan and either Galvin or fainu. If you want to keep luai, bulla and a gun Hooker.

And from all reports TDS is like the best thing in our juniors too.

I don’t know how it all stacks

Usually you get to keep 3 gun spine players at best!!!

Doueihi is NOT in the plans you do realise??

Do you watch games?
Huh? Yeah, I watched him in our starting side when he went down injured. Did you somehow watch him after that?

He's not in the plans at 6. But how are you summising that means he's gone? Hes likely to be on a small contract for 2025 and we're short of centres.

Do you know something I don't? Maybe with a bit more substance than "do you watch games".

Regarding Nofa- I think it's a little unfair with the totally negative narrative on him. He is, at best, an average reader of the opposition when it comes to his defence. His actually tackling technique is ok, but as we note- he's almost always rushing in. That said, is his defence SIGNIFICANTLY WORSE than any other outside back at the club? No.

He is our BEST winger at running the ball back from dummy half on the early tackles. Tupou is a superior athlete, but does not consistently generate metres in those scrappy runs early in a tackle count. Nofa does. Is he as good as he once was- no. But, he's better at it than Tupou & Staines.

He isn't a liability under the high ball. Again, is he great? No. But is he the opposition target? No.

I still believe he is the most natural finisher we have in the club. If there is a try to be scored, and he's 50/50 about getting there, I'd bet on him more often than not to get the try.

His distinct 'lack of speed' was highlighted ONCE all season. There was 1 run where he was in the open & looked to be running in concrete boots (we still scored on that play, but I digress). Other than that, I don't ever remember people saying "Nofa is too slow". He's generally quick enough to get the try when offered.

My biggest critisism of Nofa is when he does the crab run. When he tucks it & runs forward, he's a perfectly fine player. When he runs sideways, he's generally holding the ball in the wrong hand to start with, but it is costly regardless. Thing is, this ISN'T his 70% run. His crab run happens 20-25% of his runs, and it seems to come in bunches. If you get that OUT of his game (and one might suspect some on field direction might help..) then his forward runs are quite effective.

If our ENTIRE outside back group can learn to defend as one unit, and if we can remove even 10% of Nofa's crab runs, I think he is a servicable to good NRL winger. His contract value, which he gets sandbagged for, isn't HIS fault. That said, I believe he gets a cap reduction now, doesn't he?
You really want us to come last every season for the next decade, don't you. I seem to always disagree with 10000% with everything you say, and the way you defend mediocrity.
I'd be willing to pay 300k to get Nof off our books

If Klemmer is gone who are your run on front rowers? And who are your back up front rowers?
Luai would be lucky to see the ball, and get smashed when he did. A nonsense idea IMO.
Everyone just needs to chill and remember that these rumours are agenda-driven by external parties (player agents or other clubs).

I must say the Benji - Fulton combo hasn’t yet paid stupid ‘overs’ for players like previous regimes nor released anyone of value to us. Maybe they know what they are doing!

It sounds like they are trying to rectify previous bad contracts i.e Nofa & not bend over to pay overs for the likes of Olam.

Now it’s very possible that Isaac Moses is anti-Tigers atm especially with Fulton more pro Tartak & Black Money, and who does Moses manage but Galvin & Klemmer. Fair chance Mole’s source is right there.

It's another Tommy Talau - Josh Addo Carr moment possibly!

As much as I love the potential of Galvin, if this landed Luai for 2024, I would strongly consider it.

Klemmer is hard to replace but may mean we keep Blore as a middle for '24 and forego Olam.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't!
No, there's a huge difference between where talau was, and where Galvin is. Galvin is possibly the hottest schoolboy prospect in the game, talau was a talented youngster but nowhere near Galvins level.

If the Tigers start winning watch how everybody who was set on being a half or a five-eight or a fullback is suddenly happy to play anywhere in a winning side.

Luai is potentially coming to the Tigers with 3 premiership rings, do you think we'd even be in the hunt if he hadn't already achieved that. He wants to be 'The Man' and the payday the Tigers are paying sets him and his family up for life.

The Tigers need a Luai for credibility. Benji is playing to win, its a new dawn etc etc. A big signing gives great optics. That needs to be followed up by wins though.

Surely, we've learnt that by exposing talented youngsters to First Grade too soon (not to mention huge expectations) destroys them. I mean Luke Brooks anyone (he was going to be the next Andrew Johns). Talented kids need seasoned pros who are used to winning around them. The kids get to bide their time and learn what winning is about and get protected at the same time.

"Under the NRL’s new contracting model, Penrith will get confirmation from the NRL about the Tigers interest once Luai gives an indication that he is ready to accept the rival offer."

Thats not how i understood the rule when it first came out. Initially the NRL accepted the offer had been made and then notified Penrith that an offer was on the table. Penrith and only Penrith could make a counter offer within the next 10 days. At the end of the 10 days Luai could accept either offer or reject both. That article above suggests he has to take one of the offers. The other thing is if WT have made an offer the dogs aren't allowed to negotiate until the 10 days are up and Luai has rejected both offers.
That's not how I understood it, and that doesn't make much sense. The 10 days starts when a player effectively agrees to sign a contract, the current club then gets 10 additional days to try get them to stay, after which point the player can sign the contract with the new club if they haven't accepted any new deal with their current club

You really want us to come last every season for the next decade, don't you. I seem to always disagree with 10000% with everything you say, and the way you defend mediocrity.
I'd be willing to pay 300k to get Nof off our books
You seem pretty disagreeable to me. :D

yeah the best possible thing is we let go of Klemmer NOT early and he goes in 2025 (frees up money for AFB) and Luai comes in on time in 2025 (NOT early)

I cannot believe people will not swap Klemmer and Galvin for Luai. Klemmer is not the same player he used to be and is way too slow while Galvin has the potential but is not guaranteed to succeed in the NRL especially in the halves which is what we need to have any hope of making the top eight in 2024. The spine is what gets you in the semifinals and if we can have
Bula
Sullivan
Luai
Koroisau
as our spine we are definitely on the right track & in the hunt for semi-final contention in 2024. Its a no brainer for me I don’t want to wait another year without making the semifinals and Louis is our best shot to get there in 2024.
We will also have Fainu & Sezer as our backup halves if Luai and Sullivan get injured which I believe will be probably be the best reserve halves in the competition. This will be awesome for putting up with the crap halves we had last year in Wakeham, Douiehi, Brooks & Will Smith. Go Benji If you pull this off we are definitely heading in the right direction.
Why would you , if you could sign him and wait a year ?

That's not how I understood it, and that doesn't make much sense. The 10 days starts when a player effectively agrees to sign a contract, the current club then gets 10 additional days to try get them to stay, after which point the player can sign the contract with the new club if they haven't accepted any new deal with their current club
So under your interpretation it rules out any other club other than WT or Penrith.

Back