Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

It's another Tommy Talau - Josh Addo Carr moment possibly!

As much as I love the potential of Galvin, if this landed Luai for 2024, I would strongly consider it.

Klemmer is hard to replace but may mean we keep Blore as a middle for '24 and forego Olam.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't!
No, there's a huge difference between where talau was, and where Galvin is. Galvin is possibly the hottest schoolboy prospect in the game, talau was a talented youngster but nowhere near Galvins level.

If the Tigers start winning watch how everybody who was set on being a half or a five-eight or a fullback is suddenly happy to play anywhere in a winning side.

Luai is potentially coming to the Tigers with 3 premiership rings, do you think we'd even be in the hunt if he hadn't already achieved that. He wants to be 'The Man' and the payday the Tigers are paying sets him and his family up for life.

The Tigers need a Luai for credibility. Benji is playing to win, its a new dawn etc etc. A big signing gives great optics. That needs to be followed up by wins though.

Surely, we've learnt that by exposing talented youngsters to First Grade too soon (not to mention huge expectations) destroys them. I mean Luke Brooks anyone (he was going to be the next Andrew Johns). Talented kids need seasoned pros who are used to winning around them. The kids get to bide their time and learn what winning is about and get protected at the same time.

"Under the NRL’s new contracting model, Penrith will get confirmation from the NRL about the Tigers interest once Luai gives an indication that he is ready to accept the rival offer."

Thats not how i understood the rule when it first came out. Initially the NRL accepted the offer had been made and then notified Penrith that an offer was on the table. Penrith and only Penrith could make a counter offer within the next 10 days. At the end of the 10 days Luai could accept either offer or reject both. That article above suggests he has to take one of the offers. The other thing is if WT have made an offer the dogs aren't allowed to negotiate until the 10 days are up and Luai has rejected both offers.
That's not how I understood it, and that doesn't make much sense. The 10 days starts when a player effectively agrees to sign a contract, the current club then gets 10 additional days to try get them to stay, after which point the player can sign the contract with the new club if they haven't accepted any new deal with their current club

You really want us to come last every season for the next decade, don't you. I seem to always disagree with 10000% with everything you say, and the way you defend mediocrity.
I'd be willing to pay 300k to get Nof off our books
You seem pretty disagreeable to me. :D

If Klemmer is gone who are your run on front rowers? And who are your back up front rowers?
Luai would be lucky to see the ball, and get smashed when he did. A nonsense idea IMO.
yeah the best possible thing is we let go of Klemmer NOT early and he goes in 2025 (frees up money for AFB) and Luai comes in on time in 2025 (NOT early)

I cannot believe people will not swap Klemmer and Galvin for Luai. Klemmer is not the same player he used to be and is way too slow while Galvin has the potential but is not guaranteed to succeed in the NRL especially in the halves which is what we need to have any hope of making the top eight in 2024. The spine is what gets you in the semifinals and if we can have
Bula
Sullivan
Luai
Koroisau
as our spine we are definitely on the right track & in the hunt for semi-final contention in 2024. Its a no brainer for me I don’t want to wait another year without making the semifinals and Louis is our best shot to get there in 2024.
We will also have Fainu & Sezer as our backup halves if Luai and Sullivan get injured which I believe will be probably be the best reserve halves in the competition. This will be awesome for putting up with the crap halves we had last year in Wakeham, Douiehi, Brooks & Will Smith. Go Benji If you pull this off we are definitely heading in the right direction.
Why would you , if you could sign him and wait a year ?

That's not how I understood it, and that doesn't make much sense. The 10 days starts when a player effectively agrees to sign a contract, the current club then gets 10 additional days to try get them to stay, after which point the player can sign the contract with the new club if they haven't accepted any new deal with their current club
So under your interpretation it rules out any other club other than WT or Penrith.

The Panthers are believed to want two of the Tigers' key players - a veteran prop and a boom rookie - before entertaining any deal for 2024.

Sources have told Wide World of Sports that if the Tigers agree to swap Luai for prop David Klemmer and young halfback sensation Lachlan Galvin, the deal could be done immediately.

- WWOS
We are a junior development club. Develop them and then give them away or let them go while bringing in juniors from other clubs that they don't seem particularly keen to keep.

Luai is a good player, but is he as good as Cleary, DCE, Moses? I have never seen a kicking game from him

The Bulldogs are signing decent players. No doubt about that. But at what cost? None of those guys will be coming on unders. They will all be on good coin. They will have another salary cap nightmare in 2 years, but apparently Gus can somehow weave enough magic to make that go away. Or maybe he has no intention of being there in 2 years and doesn't care if this blows up in his face.
Some decent, some not, but they certainly are signing a hell of a lot.

Not sure how they fit 87 players in their top 30.

Reactions: 851
Lachlan Galvin is a good player
but lets not get carried away he was kept out of his rep position by Latu, who imo has the much higher ceiling

galvin reminds me of burton/wighton he will have a good career but it will be in the centers or second row

luai is a three time premiership winner a proven leader amongst young polynesian men who make up the majority of our team

we should be doing everything to get him
A lot of players are kept out of juniour teams by players that have a bit more size and are a bit more developed.

I remember fondly when we were waiting for those great youngsters like Esan Marsters & Lamar Liolavave to come through the grades.

We have to stop buckling to media, public and fan pressure.
Yes the results for the past few seasons in particular are very concerning and as a club we need to do something to turn it around fast and yes it pleases the masses if we sign high profile players, but surely we learn something from our mistakes of the past and stop paying over inflated prices for any high profile player that comes on the market.
We’ve had a strategy in keeping all our best young players, adding to that by signing some other elite young unproven players and knowing not every young player will reach their potential, but if we pool enough of them and give them opportunity with some quality experienced players around them, hopefully a few of these highly talented young players will repay our good will by sticking with us long term and becoming stars of the NRL.
Paying ridiculous money to sign Luai will not assist in this strategy being successful and would just put doubt in our young players minds that we have previously assured would get every opportunity to play regular NRL and become the stars they have potential to become.
The experience of Luai may possibly help us win a few more games in 2024, but long term he doesn’t come across as someone who will spill blood and be prepared to go to another level to become the halves leader and controller we are seeking.
Stick with our previous strategy, come out and state we are prepared for more short term pain for long term gain and give our talented youngsters the opportunity and pathway they have been promised and desire.

We r in trouble of losing him if he keeps the same player manager.
Despite many NRL clubs knowing Galvin’s potential and desire to poach him from us, I highly doubt many will be prepared to initially sign him at an over inflated cost.
I strongly believe in our current position which is cellar dwellers, we need to stick with our strategy of retaining and adding to our best young emerging players, therefore ones with the profile of Galvin and Large, we have ti be prepared to pay whatever it takes to retain them short term and ensure Benji and co make them believe they are the future of our club.
If they don’t end up fulfilling their potential than so be it, but with the attributes they possess it’s a good risk well worth taking.

Back