Best choice of coach from ones in talking

Please don't think I just got out of Callan Park but…

Started thinking about Payten when most of the 'mates' decided to move on and a comment was made about giving sheens the coaching director job. With the mates gone and a lot of new outside players coming in and having trained a lot of the players in NYC this year who we think will get a go in NRL in 2013 he is probably worth considering now. Todd has a good football brain and has shown he will make the tough decisions when they are required and if sheens was to continue to mentor him (as he has been doing this year) but as the coaching director it might be a viable 2 year option. The other thing to consider is that Robbie holds a lot of respect for Todd

@snowleopard said:
Please don't think I just got out of Callan Park but…

Started thinking about Payten when most of the 'mates' decided to move on and a comment was made about giving sheens the coaching director job. With the mates gone and a lot of new outside players coming in and having trained a lot of the players in NYC this year who we think will get a go in NRL in 2013 he is probably worth considering now. Todd has a good football brain and has shown he will make the tough decisions when they are required and if sheens was to continue to mentor him (as he has been doing this year) but as the coaching director it might be a viable 2 year option. The other thing to consider is that Robbie holds a lot of respect for Todd

This move would be a step backwards! U want a bloke who has one year of coaching under his belt to be in charge of the club we all pour south time energy emotion and money into?
Todd may be a great coach one day but for his name to pop up now is ridiculous! And as it stands the tigers have only unloaded 3 players, so he would be coaching his mates!

Even with sheens mentoring him it would be a bad move, so wet behind the ears he's dripping
\
\
_Posted using RoarFEED 2012_

Just a few stats on the names that have been tossed around for the head coach position. Apologies if any of the stats are incorrect as I've gotten it all from the ever reliable Wikipedia. I wonder if the statistic comparison changes anyone's opinions? It certainly makes for interesting reading.

**Matt Parish**
-Played 55 games for Balmain
-Served as an assistant coach at North Queensland under Neil Henry, NSW Country under Laurie Daley, at NSW under Ricky Stuart and at Manly under Geoff Toovey.
-Selected as coach for the Salford City Reds, beating Peter Gentle and Steve Georgalis for the role.
-Coached 6 games at Salford, winning 1 of 6\. Resigned after 6 games due to personal reasons.

**Nathan Brown**
-Coached 142 games for St George Illawara 2003-2008, winning 75, losing 67 for a 53% win rate.
-29 years of age in his first season at St George as coach.
-Coached Huddersfield Giants 2009 - 2012, 92 games, winning 53, drawing 2 and losing 38 for a 58% win rate.
-Took Huddersfield to the challenge cup final in 2009.
-Won ESL Coach of the year award 2009.
-Signed to coach St Helens for 2013 season.

**Jason Taylor**
-Played 86 games for Western Suburbs
-Coached 16 games for Parramatta in 2006 winning 10 and losing 6 for a 63% win rate.
-Coached South Sydney for 73 games winning 31, drawing 1 and losing 47 for a 42% win rate.
-Sacked after "physical altercation" with David Fa'alogo on Mad Monday.
-Coached the Sydney Rooster NYC Team to the Grand Final Qualifier.
\
\
**Daniel Anderson**
-Coached the New Zealand Warriors for 92 games, 2001 - 2004, winning 51, drawing 2 and losing 39 for a 55% win rate.
-2002 NRL Grand Finalist.
-2002 Dally M Coach of the Year.
-Coached the New Zealand Kiwis for 8 games, 1 win, 1 draw and 6 losses.
-Won 3 of the first 11 in 2004, leading to his resignation.

-Coached St Helens 2005 - 2008, for 77 games, winning 57 and losing just 20 for an impressive 74% win rate.
-2006, 2007, 2008 won Challenge Cup.
-2006 BBC Coach of the Year.
-2006 Super League Premiers.
-2007 Super League Grand Finalists.
-2008 Super League Grand Finalists.
-2009 Super League Grand Finalists.

-2009 - 2010 Coached Parramatta for 48 games, winning 25, drawing 1 and losing 25.
-2009 NRL Grand Finalist.

**Steve Folkes**
-Coached Canterbury 1998 - 2008, for 288 games, winning 162, drawing 7 and losing 119 for a 56% win rate.
-Premiership winner in 2004
-Dally M Coach of the year in 2004.
-Missed the finals only 4 times in 11 years at Canterbury, 1 of which due to salary cap breaches.
-Strength and conditioning coach at the Wests Tigers and St George.

**Mick Potter**
-Catalans Dragons 56 games, 2007, 2008\. Winning 27, Drawing 3, Losing 26 for a 48% win rate.
-2007 Challenge Cup Finalist.
-2008 Coach of the year.
- St Helens 2009, 2010\. 40 Games, winning 28, losing 12 for an impressive 70% win rate.
-2011-2012 coached the Bradford Bulls who had gone into receivership, coached the team without pay for a large portion of time.

from these stats looks like a no brainer for daniel anderson and folkes as assistant, thats if he would be willing to play second fiddle again. to sign up parish as a money saving exercise would appear to very risky proposition. a well respected coach also has drawing power for recruitment and imo parish would not cover that base.

i do know that anderson was very popular with many of the eels players when he was in charge

Matt Parish is not someone we should be looking at. He reached no great heights as a footballer or coach. If we have money issues, promote Payten as interim coach until we can work the mess out. Yeah I know people will say its another job for the boys and that he played with most of the current crop, but he had respect as a player and he has gone well in this years NYC. Don't going rushing into a decision. This will show respect and credibility still exists in our club.
\
\

Fraze How can you compare stats to coaches coaching in different comps and in different countries with different playing personnel

Lets have a look at some of these guys playing personnel before we start even thinking about how good of a coach they are stat wise

What a coach can do with a reduced playing roster is far more important than what they can do with a loaded squad

@Fraze23 said:
Just a few stats on the names that have been tossed around for the head coach position. Apologies if any of the stats are incorrect as I've gotten it all from the ever reliable Wikipedia. I wonder if the statistic comparison changes anyone's opinions? It certainly makes for interesting reading.

Thanks for this, it would be useful to compare another stats: tries conceded vs tries scored.

@happy tiger said:
Fraze How can you compare stats to coaches coaching in different comps and in different countries with different playing personnel

Lets have a look at some of these guys playing personnel before we start even thinking about how good of a coach they are stat wise

What a coach can do with a reduced playing roster is far more important than what they can do with a loaded squad

Just thought the stats had more substance than most of the other reasons behind wanting a coach. I wouldn't read too much into it happy, it's the off season after all.
\
\

I would take Sheens over Matt Parish any day of the week.

If we hire Parish I will be extremely concerned.

I hope he isn't really be considered.

Nathan Brown or Daniel Anderson for mine.

1\. Daniel Anderson
2\. Steve Folkes
3\. Michael Hagan
4\. Mick Potter
5\. Nathan Brown
6\. Matt Parish

@Tiger Watto said:
Wouldn't hurt looking at Paul Green as apart of the Coaching Staff for next year… Won 2 Qld Cups now???

Any chance to throw up a Brisbane Easts recruit Watto

As Daffy used to say "Your despicable" :laughing:

The names id like to see are either Anderson, Elliot or Folkes. But I haven't heard there names thrown up.

The names Ive only heard are Nathan Brown, Daniel Wagon and Matt Parish. From that list, Brown for mine.

@hybrid_tiger said:
Kevin Walters linked with the job this morning.

I think Jim Dymock deserves to be mentioned, too.

Maybe we could follow the Ipswich Jets lead with having 2 brothers as co coaches

Kevie ,Kerrod and Steve Walters as a triumverate coaching unit

Funnily enough I was suppose to see Kerrod at a Men in League function in Gladstone on Saturday but the young fella wasn't too well after surgery

Latest posts

Members online

Back