Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
@sheer64 said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087376) said:
I will not be upset if he does not sign. If playing for your state and country is not enough to motivate him, not sure what we can offer him.

9th ?

@TIGER said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087388) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087353) said:
@GNR4LIFE said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087352) said:
We need to do something. We can’t go into the season with the spine at present. We could be flirting with the bottom 4. We need a big injection from somewhere. LM is really the only one who can give it to us.

Agree with you 100%. Give LM what he wants and build the club around him. At this stage it is our only option. As you said, our spine at present is unacceptable.

I think what he wants is to not play for the Tigers.

What more could we have offered?
Considering our offer was more than anyone elses.

And by all reports... the only offer he's received..

@avocadoontoast said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087372) said:
@Needaname said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087371) said:
Front load everyone, clear the deck end of 2021 and sign a whole new team.

If we can’t get anyone to sign with us now, why are they going to in 2021? (genuine question)

No that is my point also.
I said end of 2021 so that next off season we can plan with a full cap for 2022.
But what is currently so disappointing is that we can’t sign anyone for the 2021 team, even though we have cleared a fair bit of money. It seams as though players want immediate swaps signed and arranged or to resign with their current team on new long term deals.
So why this off-season did everyone of these players leave it until they were on the open market to resign with their clubs. It makes no sense but yet the players needed to wait till they can contractually be available to talk with other clubs in order to generate their market rate. Seems so backwards and the NRL really needs to fix it. There needs to be trade windows introduced.

We all hate paying overs but we may just have to in order to build a team than can make finals regularly and thereafter attract good players at fair value. I reckon that' s what other teams have done over the years to overcome player's reluctance to come to an unfashionable club. Although it does make me wonder how the Titans, Knights and to a lesser extent Bulldogs seem to be able to attract reasonably good players at fair value. Surely they are not less 'on the nose' than us.

A lot of people that don't understand business and decision making. The only sound we've heard from Mitchell and his camp is that they're taking their time to consider all options.

Why do people on here find that so hard to comprehend?

It's like half the people on here are literally under the age of 10 impatiently demanding their parents give them their Christmas presents a few days early because they're already under the tree.

This is a big decision and the chances of him blindly grabbing at the first offer to come his way is minimal. Why should he?

We're an unattractive and unsuccessful club, that has forever been tortured by our own acceptance of of mediocrity. Until that changes, we will be an unattractive option to elite players and will have to pay overs to compete for them. The thing is to pick the right players to pay overs for, not the Reynolds, packers and Matulinos.

Other clubs have good and bad years, we only have average to poor years. 3 good seasons in 20 years is pathetic. We need to buck the trend and make a bold step forwards without relying exclusively on youth and fringe players.

@balmain-boy said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087403) said:
A lot of people that don't understand business and decision making. The only sound we've heard from Mitchell and his camp is that they're taking their time to consider all options.

Why do people on here find that so hard to comprehend?

It's like half the people on here are literally under the age of 10 impatiently demanding their parents give them their Christmas presents a few days early because they're already under the tree.

This is a big decision and the chances of him blindly grabbing at the first offer to come his way is minimal. Why should he?

We're an unattractive and unsuccessful club, that has forever been tortured by our own acceptance of of mediocrity. Until that changes, we will be an unattractive option to elite players and will have to pay overs to compete for them. The thing is to pick the right players to pay overs for, not the Reynolds, packers and Matulinos.

Other clubs have good and bad years, we only have average to poor years. 3 good seasons in 20 years is pathetic. We need to buck the trend and make a bold step forwards without relying exclusively on youth and fringe players.

Agree with lots of what you say. But not the "pathetic" part - we have had a lot of players who have played to the best of their ability but havnt had the quality around them or systems in place to take this club to the next level.
How we have managed to avoid the spoon and remain for the most part camped in the middle of the comp demonstrates a level of resilience that under the same circumstances, many clubs would have faltered under. There have consistently been better rosters than ours each season that we have managed to finish ahead of.
If we need to be a bit patient and pay a bit more to get the deal done to lure Latrell all good with me.

@coivtny said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087267) said:
Seriously don't understand all the deletions. On balance I thing the mods do a fair job on the forum but some of these deletions just don't make sense to me e.g deletion of the original comment by GNR4LIFE. It was a totally legitimate and uncontroversial comment about LM's agent.
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

@GNR4LIFE said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087276) said:
@Geo said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087268) said:
Seriously don't understand all the deletions. On balance I thing the mods do a fair job on the forum but some of these deletions just don't make sense to me e.g deletion of the original comment by GNR4LIFE. It was a totally legitimate and uncontroversial comment about LM's agent.

Yes but it was quoting the offending post...

I didn’t quote anybody. Not sure why the posts were deleted after mine, or why mine was, but all good.
[/QUOTE]

@GNR4LIFE said:
If posts are deleted when they shouldn't be, including mine, I think we are owed some sort of explanation or reason for the deletion and our posts being un-deleted.
Is that too much to ask of the 'ministrators?

@WT2K said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087391) said:
@TIGER said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087388) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087353) said:
@GNR4LIFE said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087352) said:
We need to do something. We can’t go into the season with the spine at present. We could be flirting with the bottom 4. We need a big injection from somewhere. LM is really the only one who can give it to us.

Agree with you 100%. Give LM what he wants and build the club around him. At this stage it is our only option. As you said, our spine at present is unacceptable.

I think what he wants is to not play for the Tigers.

What more could we have offered?
Considering our offer was more than anyone elses.

And by all reports... the only offer he's received..

He also got an offer from the Roosters. Presumably he didn't sign that because they're another pathetic club that can't attract top talent.

@MAGPIES1963 said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087410) said:

Could it be that your post was off topic?

I think we are still one of the front runners where he will be next season. I am sure even more clubs that have been mentioned have put their feelers out as players like Latrell are not available often. Our advantage is we have the cash in hand and more than likely we would need to assist another club for them to get him in the cap. Souths maybe with burgi money but I think they will get Arrow.

Highest coin will most likely decide if he leaves the chooks, opefully we can close the deal if he decides to leave.

People need to stop reading the The Daily Tele I am sure this will be sorted before Christmas.

I think we did the right thing going hard for Latrell as this is a rare opportunity. Might of cost us Lomax but Latrell is a game changer right now not a maybe.

@avocadoontoast said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087372) said:

If we can’t get anyone to sign with us now, why are they going to in 2021? (genuine question)

Another genuine question, which players that have left their clubs did we miss out on that we wanted?

Apparently Lattrell was complaining about the intensity and the length of the season when he was with the Kangaroos.

He should have jumped at our offer, as our season is always over by September.

@Glenn5150 said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087422) said:

Another genuine question, which players that have left their clubs did we miss out on that we wanted?

Good question, and i'm not sure of the answer. I guess Tetevano is one but I didn't want him because of who he is. I guess I was just more broadly stating that from the outside looking in, it appears that we have trouble enticing players to join us and without some things changing I don't see that being any different in 2021.

I don't think it's the facilities and I don't think it's our record of not making the 8 (we rarely finish right at the bottom). Some could argue they don't want to play under Maguire but we had these problems long before he joined.

@Harvey said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087462) said:
Apparently Lattrell was complaining about the intensity and the length of the season when he was with the Kangaroos.

He should have jumped at our offer, as our season is always over by September.

LOL long summers! haha

Can someone explain to me what constitutes ‘overs’ for a fully fit player?

I’m reading Arrow being offered $800k by Souths? Also, Valentine Holmes offered $1m by Cowboys?
Lomax $3m over 6 years?

Are we the only ones paying overs for offering Latrell just under $1m a year?

Seems to me Souths want an immediate replacement for Burgess and Cowboys have wanted Holmes for a while but both clubs paid whatever to get their targets.

All the above are fit and raring to go so they aren’t in the Josh Reynolds, McQueen, Packerlino bracket.

@cqtiger said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087499) said:
Can someone explain to me what constitutes ‘overs’ for a fully fit player?

I’m reading Arrow being offered $800k by Souths? Also, Valentine Holmes offered $1m by Cowboys?
Lomax $3m over 6 years?

Are we the only ones paying overs for offering Latrell just under $1m a year?

Seems to me Souths want an immediate replacement for Burgess and Cowboys have wanted Holmes for a while but both clubs paid whatever to get their targets.

All the above are fit and raring to go so they aren’t in the Josh Reynolds, McQueen, Packerlino bracket.

If Holmes is worth a million Mitchell would be great value at $1.2m.

It looks to me after recent upgrades and the LL signing that we have around $1.2m left to play with for 4 spots, aside from anything that might free up if anyone was successfully moved on, but that feels increasingly unlikely

Musgrave sounds pretty much certain, surely we can eventually get the kid across from Parra as another and then we upgrade another later on (maybe Abbey). That's 3 spots for $300-400k leaving $800-900k

Surely we can get Latrell across the line with $800k in year 1 of a 3-4 year $3-4m deal?

It just seems the best way to spend our money and to round out our squad, albeit we are a bit exposed in the halves and at hooker, I guess the last upgrade from the development squad would be part of that insurance policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back