The great home ground debate thread

Roosters squad set to be boosted
Joshua Alston
September 5, 2010 - 2:24PM

AAP

Sydney Roosters coach Brian Smith is hopeful his depleted side will be boosted by the return of four key players ahead of their first semi-final against the Wests Tigers next Saturday night.

After qualifying sixth following an unconvincing win over also-rans North Queensland on Saturday, there were plenty of tired bodies in the sheds following a rough night in the hot and humid Townsville climate.

Smith was forced to scratch fullback Anthony Minichiello (hamstring), hooker Jake Friend (calf) and forward Mose Masoe (shoulder) before kick-off and was also without suspended forward Daniel Conn.

But in a boost for the Bondi club, Smith is hopeful of having all four back for their clash against the Tigers at Sydney Football Stadium.

"Mini wasn't right," he said.

"Mini will have to show us that he is right early in the week this week.

"We would expect that he would be and we would expect that Jake will be.

"We'll have Daniel Conn back from suspension and big Mossie will be right as well.

"He had a bit of a shoulder problem, I'm not sure but he's probably the most doubtful of the three."

Resting those players for the Cowboys game may yet prove to be a masterstroke by Smith with many of the players who did take the paddock struggling to get through the night in the muggy conditions.

With the Tigers having the luxury of an extra days rest before the clash, Smith said the main focus would be on getting the players' energy levels back up to scratch and then working on arresting a worrying slump in attack that is plaguing the club.

"The first thing we're going to need to do is recover from this game and try to get ourselves ready," he said.

"The Tigers are one of those teams that when they're on, they're hot.

"So we'll need to be good indeed to control that.

"Obviously controlling the ball is a big factor in minimising the amount of time you have to defend.

"We've got plenty to work on."

Skipper Braith Anasta refused to blame the conditions at Dairy Farmer Stadium for the Roosters lacklustre performance against the Cowboys and agreed there was plenty to do to prove last year's wooden-spooners could truly push for the premiership in 2010.

"My head's spinning," he said after the game.

"It was a tough night for us, it was definitely very hot and humid out there and something we hadn't experienced in quite a while.

"But it was no excuse for the way we played, I thought we played pretty average.

"We've got quite a bit of work to do this week.

"We're satisfied, but we would like to probably be a little bit more happy with our performance."

@innsaneink said:
We were down 13-0 and got it back to 13 - 12…..and we didnt chase hard enough?

Give up while youre behind

No arguing the comeback,but the point I made (several times in fact..I can spell it out in caps if it makes it easier to understand?)was that we shut the game down towards the end to preserve 3rd slot,which was never going to mean a lot.

@clontarfkid said:
@innsaneink said:

No arguing the comeback,but the point I made (several times in fact..I can spell it out in caps if it makes it easier to understand?)was that we shut the game down towards the end to preserve 3rd slot,which was never going to mean a lot.

Marshall looked like he was trying pretty hard to win it right up to fulltime.

@clontarfkid said:
@innsaneink said:

Easy to say that….prove it.
3rd or 4th....makes little difference

@innsaneink said:
@clontarfkid said:
@innsaneink said:

Easy to say that….prove it.
3rd or 4th....makes little difference

No Sheens is a nutter he should have instructed them to let the Titans flog us so then we would have come 4th and have to play an in form Warriors at the WestsSFS….

Sheens is no Brian Smith...

Its no advantage playing the roosters at SFS , Unfortunately thats how it panned out for us .We just have to stay positive and take a step at a time.
I have ZERO tolerance for supporters who are saying we wont make it.If you cant say anything positive dont say anything negative either.
The attitude for this game "go hard or go home" , its simple !!

I really couldnt give a crap where we play, I have seen the team perform like heroes and like retards at ALL grounds…sometimes in the same game lol.

The amount of difference the ground plays is SFA in all reality. I'm very happy for it to be at the SFS, we like the big games in front of big crowds....its gonna be awesome!!!!

If you have a good look at both teams we have it all over the rooters! Cannot wait to see us carve up some rooster! I will have my serving with roast veg and gravey, Go the Tigers!

@Love the WestsTigers said:
Its no advantage playing the roosters at SFS , Unfortunately thats how it panned out for us .We just have to stay positive and take a step at a time.
I have ZERO tolerance for supporters who are saying we wont make it.If you cant say anything positive dont say anything negative either.
The attitude for this game "go hard or go home" , its simple !!

hear hear!!

they have had the wood over us this year so far….couldnt think of a better time for revenge.

wests-tigers finished in the top 8.
am grateful of that.
regardless of where they play, it would be nice to beat the roosters this time.
so far, in 2010 they hold a 3-0 advantage( including the foundation cup game)
time to win one.

@shiretiger said:
some people are just not happy unless they are complaining about something.

What would you rather? That we missed out?

Give yourselves an uppercut

x2.

The only thing I can possible find fault with the whole situation is my misses deciding to have her birthday on saturday!
:frowning:

I hope I didn't just wait 5 years to miss our only semi final since 05

@shiretiger said:
some people are just not happy unless they are complaining about something.

What would you rather? That we missed out?

Give yourselves an uppercut

Someone that has a glass that's half-full - thank you.

I'm flying down from Brisbane and looking forward to seeing my team do their best. Couldn't give a flying about where we play, coul;dn't give a flyign about who we play, can give a flying about how we support the lads.

GO TIGES!!

Let's make it like 2005 against the Chokers!!

Are we all happy that we decided to play our home semi at the SFS?
Personally, a home game for mine is Leichhardt or Campbelltown. Not the SFS. I'm sure every fan would want every advantage for our team, and playing the Roosters at SFS is no advantage.

I'm not sure about other people but I think the team winning is more important than the amount of fans that they can pack into a stadium. 20,000 at leichhardt or campbelltown is a lot better than 25-30,000 at sfs.

I think its a great play by management.

If we cant beat the roosters there than we have nothing to whinge about as it'll be the fourth time this year that they dusted us.

Our advantage is that we could lose and still have a chance.

i could'nt care less which grounds we play at from now on. Its do or die time….no excuses.

So we bust our guts all year and earn the right to a home semi…...so what do we do, hand the team who finished 6th a home semi......well done Wests Tigers...one of your best

Wests ran 4th in 2005 and earned a home final and opted against Leichhardt and Campbelltown to play at ANZ Stadium. The Tigers played a total of 4 Finals matches, 2 at the SFS and 2 at ANZ and history shows that the Joint Venture club was successful in all of those fixtures with no apparent 'Home Ground' Advantage.

- 2 Games at the SFS, Semi Final Vs. Brisbane, Preliminary Final Vs. St.George-Illawarra.
- 2 Games at ANZ Stadium; Qualifying Final Vs. Nth QLD, Grand Final Vs. Nth QLD.

Taking that into account, 2005 proved one thing…."if you're good enough, you'll win where ever you play".

If Wests are good enough in the Final Series of the 2010 Season, it will prove that once again, the Tigers were good enough.

@Gobbs said:
Wests ran 4th in 2005 and earned a home final and opted against Leichhardt and Campbelltown to play at ANZ Stadium. The Tigers played a total of 4 Finals matches, 2 at the SFS and 2 at ANZ and history shows that the Joint Venture club was successful in all of those fixtures with no apparent 'Home Ground' Advantage.

- 2 Games at the SFS, Semi Final Vs. Brisbane, Preliminary Final Vs. St.George-Illawarra.
- 2 Games at ANZ Stadium; Qualifying Final Vs. Nth QLD, Grand Final Vs. Nth QLD.

Taking that into account, 2005 proved one thing…."if you're good enough, you'll win where ever you play".

If Wests are good enough in the Final Series of the 2010 Season, it will prove that once again, the Tigers were good enough.

We are not as good a team as the 05 side….the last thing we need is to hand the oposition an advantage

Back